See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Hi from New Zealand

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Hi – my name is Alyson, I am a librarian living in Nelson, New Zealand.  I love to travel – and mainly travel to view wildlife.  All animals are interesting to me, but my particular passion is wolves and other wild canids.  I have travelled to the Canadian Northwest Territories, Yellowstone and Alaska to see wolves, and in 2013 my partner and I went to Ethiopia to see the Ethiopian wolves (in Guassa and Bale) and also to the Simien highlands to see the Geladas.  For a couple of years after that trip I ran an online store selling t-shirts to raise funds for the Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Programme. In 2014 we travelled to Namibia, and made a brief visit to Madikwe in South Africa.  Last year we went to see the Indian wolves in Gujarat and also had some fabulous sightings of lions, leopards, tigers and sloth bears in the many National Parks we visited.  Later this year we are returning to Yellowstone to see the wolves and will then be saving up for 2018, when we plan to visit Uganda and Tanzania (hoping for chimpanzee sightings) and Madagascar (hoping to see fossa).

Attached Images

• Lionconv.JPG

• Atravelynn, ZaminOz, inyathi and 4 others like this

#2 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,716 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Welcome
  • Alyson likes this

#3 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,852 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

@Alyson

Welcome to Safaritalk - fascinating to hear about the breadth of your travel and your interest in wolves. That is a very nice lion photo!

• Alyson likes this

#4 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

welcome 

your travels sound interesting

trip reports  from your previous safaris would be warmly recieved

• Alyson likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#5 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hi Alyson, welcome to Safaritalk!

I would be very interested to hear more about your experience in Guassa especially since I´m heading there next March.

• Alyson likes this

#6 Caracal

Caracal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

Welcome Alyson - that's a handsome lion with flowing mane - where was he?

Have you seen African wild dogs on your previous trips?

• Alyson likes this
"Moments that touch the soul are always short but they echo pleasantly afterwards"
Stephen Pern - Another Land, Another Sea Walking round Lake Rudolph.

#7 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hi Alyson.  The library is one of my favorite places and I have plans to visit mine later today! 

With your interest in animals, you will enjoy this forum.

You seem to be a wolf fan.  Fascinating creatures.  I enjoy very occasional sightings of their smaller cousin, the coyote, from my window.

Here are wolf shots.  http://safaritalk.ne...ves-exc-africa/

Nice B&W lion!

You have some exciting trips ahead.  Until it is your time to depart, you can check out reports on those locations.

Welcome to ST!

• Alyson likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#8 Tomas

Tomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hi and welcome.
I am new here to

• Alyson likes this

#9 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

trip reports  from your previous safaris would be warmly recieved

Thanks - I will write reports and post :) 

#10 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:02 AM

I would be very interested to hear more about your experience in Guassa especially since I´m heading there next March.

Hi – the grasslands are amazing – you will love it up there! We stayed in the Frankfurt Zoological Society tourist lodge on the Plateau.  It is a long drive up to the plateau but well worth it.  All money raised from tourism goes directly to the villagers, and despite low tourist numbers when we were there they said they already had enough to consider projects such as running electricity to the villages and irrigation schemes.  The Tourism Manager at the Lodge was Abebe Sintavehw and he was excellent.  The second evening he spotted a pack for us as they reunited after hunting - we spent a wonderful hour watching 5-8 wolves playing and romping in the tufted grass.  It was our first sighting of the Ethiopian wolves and they are exceptionally beautiful animals. We were lucky that the Sanetti Plateau was crawling with them on our trip and we had multiple sightings there – but the first sighting at Guassa was really special.       

• michael-ibk likes this

#11 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

Welcome Alyson - that's a handsome lion with flowing mane - where was he?

Have you seen African wild dogs on your previous trips?

Thanks - he was at Etosha - watching a female chase a warthog - and looking disgusted with her when the warthog got away :)

Yes we saw wild dogs at Okonjima Reserve in Namibia (a radio collared pack) and at Madikwe in South Africa - they are great!

Edited by Alyson, 13 May 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#12 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

Sounds wonderful! What about Gelada sightings there?

#13 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

@Alyson Welcome to safari talk and I'm sure that this site will make positive change to your life as it has mine.I share your interest in wild dogs,Ethiopian wolves and fossas. I would love to hear about your trip to Simien National Park because I have long been yearning to go there. 

• Alyson likes this

#14 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hi – the grasslands are amazing – you will love it up there! We stayed in the Frankfurt Zoological Society tourist lodge on the Plateau.  It is a long drive up to the plateau but well worth it.  All money raised from tourism goes directly to the villagers, and despite low tourist numbers when we were there they said they already had enough to consider projects such as running electricity to the villages and irrigation schemes.  The Tourism Manager at the Lodge was Abebe Sintavehw and he was excellent.  The second evening he spotted a pack for us as they reunited after hunting - we spent a wonderful hour watching 5-8 wolves playing and romping in the tufted grass.  It was our first sighting of the Ethiopian wolves and they are exceptionally beautiful animals. We were lucky that the Sanetti Plateau was crawling with them on our trip and we had multiple sightings there – but the first sighting at Guassa was really special.       

Thanks for that info.  What time of year were you there? 

#15 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:43 AM

Sounds wonderful! What about Gelada sightings there?

Hi again - yes there was a large troop that came by the Lodge each evening.

• michael-ibk likes this

#16 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

I would love to hear about your trip to Simien National Park because I have long been yearning to go there. 

Hi - we did a four day three night hike and camp through the Simiens.  Spectacular is not sufficient to describe the views - and the Geladas were amazing.  The hiking can be hard going due to the 3200-3600 metre altitude - on the last day we resorted to riding mules - but we are in the older age group :)

Gelada.jpg

Gelada two.jpg

• michael-ibk, TonyQ, dlo and 1 other like this

#17 dlo

dlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Welcome aboard, looking forward to some reports in the future from you.Those are some very nice Gelada shots! Also planning Uganda for 2018 chimp tracking is one of my favourite activities I've ever had in Africa.

• Alyson likes this

#18 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

@Alyson I love your photos of the Gelada baboons.I now realize that when I do the trek in the Simien mountains, I'll have to do part of it by mule due to my age (55) and condition; I'm not in good a enough shape to do it all on foot.

Edited by optig, 16 May 2016 - 06:52 AM.

• Alyson likes this

#19 Alyson

Alyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for that info.  What time of year were you there? - we were in Guassa mid February 2013.

#20 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

Thanks on the timing.  When you opted for the mules, how did that work?  Had you reserved them in advance just in case?  Did you happen upon them along the way? 

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.