See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

"Life on Safari" - new podcast about Safaris and Conservation by Richard Field

podcast conservation Richard Field Life on Safari Map Ives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

I discovered a new podcast that is done by Richard Field. I wasn't familiar with him but perhaps some of you are. He is a safari guide and runs a company called African Family Safaris. He's got two podcast episodes out so far. The first is an extensive interview with Map Ives, discussing his work in Botswana and his current role in rhino relocation and basically his efforts to save black and white rhino. Fascinating. 

The second episode was also enjoyable. An interview with safari guide Grant Reed, full of amusing anecdotes of his life as a guide but also some in depth discussion of how safari affects people and guides.

Really looking forward to hearing more of these!

Here's the website where you can play episodes directly from the page: 

http://africanfamily...is.com/podcast/

It also has detailed show notes and links to things mentioned in the interviews. One link in the Map Ives episode is to a YouTube video that is about rescuing rhino from Lake Kariba by the Rupert Fothergill/Operation Noah team. The lake was rising due to the Kariba Dam. This was many decades ago, 1960 and Map cites having seen this as a film when he was a boy as the inspiration for becoming a game ranger/safari guide. This is quite a remarkable video and well worth watching. I will put a link separately to that so people can find it easily:

You can also find the podcast on iTunes and they have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook...839072/timeline

Edited by SafariChick, 08 May 2016 - 02:26 AM.

• Atravelynn, ZaminOz, amybatt and 6 others like this

#2 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

The jocular sexism in the voiceover that goes along with the rhino rescue video is truly cringe-inducing in this day and age by the way so be prepared for that!

#3 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

Continuing to enjoy this podcast - highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Episode 3 was an interview with the guide Kane Motswana, a Bushman from the Okavango Delta who guided at Selinda Explorers Camp but now I believe has become a private guide.  That interview is a bit hard to understand at times due to the phone connection but I found there is a transcript of the entire interview and it helps immensely if one reads along while listening. The transcript is here http://africanfamily...anscription.pdf and the link to the podcast, if you are not downloading it to your phone or other device from iTunes, is here: http://africanfamilysafaris.com/podcast/

I just received a fourth episode, to which I've not yet listened, but which also promises to be very interesting: an interview with Ian Michler on Canned Hunting and the making of "Blood Lions".  I don't see the link to listen to that one up on the website yet, but it is on iTunes as I subscribed to the podcast and the new episode downloaded to my phone, and I see it's mentioned on their Facebook page as being available Friday and that it is part one of a two-part interview.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: podcast, conservation, Richard Field, Life on Safari, Map Ives

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.