See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Indian Rat Snake and the Bull Frog

Indian rat snake frog wild struggle predator prey ranthambhore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dickysingh

dickysingh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

In one of the many ancient "baoris" or step wells in the Ranthambhore tiger reserve in India, I witnessed an amazing natural history moment on the 25th April 2016. An Indian Rat Snake (Ptyas mucosa) had caught a Bull frog. As the snake tried to swallow the frog down, the frog inflated its body and kept trying to force himself out of the snake's death grip. The struggle between the predator and the prey went on for about 10 minutes and I could see that the frog was bleeding in a few places. After about 10 minutes when it seemed as if all was nearly over for the frog, the frog, surprisingly managed to break free of the snakes jaws to disappear in the mucky water. The frog's escape was so fast that we could not even get one shot of that.
The Rat snake is a very aggressive hunter but the Bull frog is no push over.

i-wmCTd3d-L.jpg

i-FKNzZvV-L.jpg

i-jfqM5XT-L.jpg

i-Zjm5f9d-L.jpg

i-5R7df4m-L.jpg

• Geoff, Zim Girl, michael-ibk and 2 others like this

#2 Big Andy

Big Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Local time: 03:23 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

What a wonderful sighting, makes a change from all the fur and feathers in most of the interactions we see here.

• dickysingh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indian rat snake, frog, wild, struggle, predator, prey, ranthambhore

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.