Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
COSMIC RHINO

SA express suspended safety system now flying again

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 over the weekend the civil aviation authority suspended the entire fleet operations of SA express as the safety checking system was unable to pickup problems

This was regarded as a serious safety hazard to crew, passengers and the public

please see http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/stnews/2016/05/01/Flying-Blind-Why-SA-Express-was-grounded

the pre flight by the authority could not pass the plane as airworthy

the initial proposed solution was not regarded by the regulator ,so operations for the entire fleet were suspended

concerns were raised by the midflight failure of the computer system on 1 plane on 19 April , the pilot told the tower

fortunately the backup system worked

over a full weekend they had no flights

passengers were asked to go to the airport ticket sales office, the one at Johannesburg is not very large

2 This year I am using the Ashtons transfer service instead of flying. Umlami bush camp pays for it if you stay 3 days or more . Going back the second time I was thinking of all those SA express losses and the high cost of the fare, so I used Ashtons again

3 This is definitely cheaper and it may well be a better choice

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

I am due to fly to JNB in 2 weeks and then up the the Timbavati for 4 days at Kambaku River Sands :). Previously I had flown into Skukuza with Airlink and found them to be a good operation. I had booked with SA Express to fly to Hoedspruit but the suspension over the weekend has led me to do some online research and I have decided to arrange for filghts with FedAir instead.

Argh I'm due to fly cape town to Johannesburg via SA in 3 weeks. Too late to change now.

Thanks for the alert @@COSMIC RHINO

• for popular routes like Durban and cape town , it could be time to look at the alternatives like Kulula

some wildlife destinations like Richards bay and hoedspruit are only serviced by SA Express

all the SA Express fleet are old dash 8 planes , it would be a good ideas to update but ongoing debts and losses make this difficult