PeterHG's year

PeterHG

I hadn't been on any birding/photography outing over the last six weeks, due to the grey weather and the fact that July is a quiet birding month anyway. But the sun was out last Monday, so a took a trip to a wetland area in the north (Lauwersmeer), armed with telescope, binoculars and camera. Definitely a good day, though from a photographer's perspective many birds are just a little too far. But I had great views of large numbers of waders, like Ruff, Avocet, Little Stint, Golden Plover, Ringed and Little Ringed Plover, Curlew, Whimbrel and Greenshank. A distant White-tailed Eagle and Caspian Tern showed briefly and among the waders were a few rarities: Red-Necked Phalarope and Pectoral Sandpiper. I even managed to get some acceptable shots of both of them and some shots of Common Snipe and Shelduck I was quite happy with in the evening light. Migration seems to be on its way again. A little too early, perhaps after such a grey summer.

209. Pectoral Sandpiper

7D2_1742-L.jpg

210. Red-Necked Phalarope

7D2_1688-L.jpg

Common Snipe (not counting, since I've posted it before)

7D2_1800-XL.jpg

Common Shelduck (not counting)

7D2_1808-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Love the Phalarope and the Snipe, Peter.

Nice water-wading birds, @@PeterHG ! Luckily these months are a bit slow for birding as I will need your expertise soon!

Nice water-wading birds, @@PeterHG ! Luckily these months are a bit slow for birding as I will need your expertise soon!

Ah, back from Sri Lanka @@xelas? I hope you both had a wonderful trip!

211. Dotterel (Lauwersmeer, Netherlands). Far off, among the Golden Plovers. Attempted a shot with the iPhone through the telescope. Well, it's there, isn't it...:)?

i-GwWd9Jx-L.jpg

212. White-tailed Eagle.(Lauwersmeer, Netherlands). We saw the eagle a few times that day, always announced by panic among all the waders. Never close, unfortunately, but quite a spectacle all the same. The White tailed Eagle made its come-back to our country in 2005 and now there are some 5 or six nesting sites, all heavily protected.

i-LkDSMhR-L.jpg

At the end of the day I spent a few hours at a wetland about an hour's drive from where I live. My main target was to try and see some elusive reed-dwelling birds, like the Spotted Crake and the Water Rail. I was lucky enough to see both, though photography was hard, having to shoot in and often into the light of the setting sun.
212. Spotted Crake

i-nhZdcr7-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

A few other waders were also present, like this:

214. Green Sandpiper

i-Gcn2qJ5-L.jpg

And on the way back a:

215. White Stork

i-p6knzpL-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

216 - Eurasian Jay (Overijssel september)

i-FNGz4QJ-XL.jpg

I spent an hour at a lake, waiting for an Osprey to show up (which it didn't), but still enjoyed watching the interaction of two pairs of Mute Swans. They're already in the count, but I can't resist showing these...

Here the male was trying to impress the intruding pair

i-dbxC2Nk-XL.jpg

But more action was needed.

i-RxhbmCT-XL.jpg

And celebrating victory together. I've darkened the (already pretty dark) background even more to make the swans stand out.

i-jP3s7tQ-XL.jpg

217 - Grey Plover (Lauwersmeer, Netherlands)

i-r6GmBFB-L.jpg

218 - Little Stint (Lauwersmeer, Netherlands)

i-fMC5g7h-L.jpg

219 - Red Knot (Lauwersmeer, Netherlands)

i-hSbLrHg-L.jpg

In the Lauwersmeer area in the North of Holland, where I spent a day in the company of many waders, a rarity had been spotted and a lifer for me. Too far of for a decent photo, but still a record shot.

220 - Baird's Sandpiper

i-3wqLZcc-M.jpg

In the beginning of this week I spent a few days on the Isle of Texel. Fewer species than I had hoped for, but still a few for the yearlist

221 - Spotted Redshank

i-9drpbNL-L.jpg

This time I did see an Osprey, but, again, far away.

i-ZbsBz8v-L.jpg

@@PeterHG

Lovely photos again. As the year progresses, I find that I am liking waders more and more - they are beautiful.

Lovely series of the mute Swans - especially like the third one. And a Golden Plover, very cool - how close was that?

@@PeterHG beautiful photos and from so many impessive locations. I especially liked the bee-eaters, kingfishers, hornbills and rollers from Sri Lanka and the Bullfinch and Rosefinch from the European birds.

If you could choose 3-4 prime birding sites in Sri Lanka, what would they be?