PeterHG's year

PeterHG

183. Alpine Accentor. Pyrenees, France. Another lifer for me this trip!

i-g6gSPft-XL.jpg

184. Audouin's Gull. Ebro Delta, Spain. One of the rarest European Gulls, but fairly common in this area.

i-cznV5Hv-XL.jpg

185. Serin. Ginestar, Spain. At the campsite their 'glass-shattering' song could be heard regularly.

i-Dr5fsMJ-XL.jpg

186. Tree Sparrow. Ginestar, Spain. Also at the campsite. More common that the house sparrow.

i-LTjcjWS-XL.jpg

187. Spotless Starling. Ginestar, Spain. They were also quite common, but pretty shy.

i-mcWPkng-XL.jpg

188. Sand Martin. Ginestar, Spain. About to end the life of some bug.

i-5PG2W7d-XL.jpg

189. Glossy Ibis. Ebro Delta, Spain. I can't think why they are called 'black ibis' in Dutch. Probably envy, because we don't have them...;)

i-nbCjDCg-XL.jpg

i-QtVW5ch-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG

You certainly saw some beautiful birds and got superb photos on your trip to Spain

The Rock Thrush is lovely

michael-ibk

@@PeterHG

I am in Barcelona this week and am thinking about doing a day tour to the Ebro Delta. What are your thoughts, worth it?

@@michael-ibk

It is some weeks later than my visit, but should still be holding quite a few interesting birds: Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Glossy Ibis, Purple Gallinule, Black-crowned Night Heron, Little Bittern, Pratincole, Whiskered Tern, Auduoin's Gull, Hoopoe, Bee-eater etc.

It's quite a drive from Barcelona, though, probably 2 1/2 hours or so. If you go, perhaps it's best to concentrate on the southern side of the Delta, around the village: El Poble Nou del Delta. Some rich wetlands there and a few hides.

michael-ibk

Thanks, Peter, sounds good. :)

Peter Connan

All great shots, but Wow on the Sand Martin!

Glossy Ibis is indeed a beautiful bird in good light, it must be my favorite local Ibis.

And another one reaching to the 200 mark! Even the record shot looks excellent, @@PeterHG !

Thanks all for the kind words! I'd better continue then if I am to reach the magical 200 mark.

190. Whiskered Tern. Ebro Delta, Spain.

i-sjrLKwK-XL.jpg

191. Collared Pratincole. Ebro Delta, Spain. I'd only seen them once to twice before, but never close enough for a photo. I hope you get to see them there, too @@michael-ibk! They're beautiful birds.

i-DMGcSRM-XL.jpg

i-zKpfKXF-XL.jpg

192. Squacco Heron. Ebro Delta, Spain.

i-44gJtkm-XL.jpg

193. Sardinian Warbler. Ginestar, Spain. Female shot at the campsite in Spain, the male in the Camargue France.

Female:

i-QQJctgt-XL.jpg

male:

i-NgZpbhP-XL.jpg

194. Goldfinch. Ginestar, Spain.

i-c4cvnhs-XL.jpg

195. Mistle Thrush. Ginestar, Spain. Common down there, but pretty shy. It was only after some evening showers that one of them ventured close enough for a shot. Iso 200 was needed, but I was happy to get it.

i-kcJccGq-XL.jpg

196. Stone Curlew. Lleida steppes, Spain. A long way off, but I got a shot

i-SzpmxBq-L.jpg

197. Black Kite. Lleida Steppes. Probably the commonest bird-of prey in Spain.

i-5drLd9J-XL.jpg

195. Mistle Thrush. Ginestar, Spain. Common down there, but pretty shy. It was only after some evening showers that one of them ventured close enough for a shot. Iso 200 was needed, but I was happy to get it.

@@PeterHG I love that you think ISO 200 is a disaster!! Try the UK most of the year....

@@PeterHG I love that you think ISO 200 is a disaster!! Try the UK most of the year....

Ah mistyped, of course: iso 2000 is what I meant . I really hope for an iso 200 summer for you in the UK :)!

Ha, I was about to comment that ISO 200, maybe nicknanmed uou "Mr.100" then I saw your reply to Tdgraves :-))

Today's cameras have no problems with ISO 3400, and in some cases even ISO 6400 cleans out pretty well.

At least I am lucky with Goldfinches, no need to drive up to Spain as they come daily to my garden. Maybe you should visit Slovenia one of next Europe trips, Peter?

@@PeterHG, beautiful photos of your Spanish birds (and French). Interestingly we saw far more Red Kites than Black and also saw so many Vultures. I struggled with Thekla vs Crested Lark, so I will have to have another look at mine to be sure, now you've pointed out the obvious differences.Mind you, may not be so obvious in my "fuzzy" photos.