Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

Who are the conservation heroes?

11 posts in this topic

And why?

Share your thoughts in the replies below...

Matt

1 person likes this

My heroes are the thousands of field scientists collecting data whether at the International, national level or just on their own patch, documenting a species over a long period of time or the impact of the modern world on a fragile ecosystem and trying to make a difference by informing or educating local stake holders.

There are too many to name but I have met quite a few in my time joining their teams to help them in gathering data and feeding a few dollars in support of their science. The poor bloody infantry of wildlife science.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

My heroes are the thousands of field scientists collecting data whether at the International, national level or just on their own patch, documenting a species over a long period of time or the impact of the modern world on a fragile ecosystem and trying to make a difference by informing or educating local stake holders.

There are too many to name but I have met quite a few in my time joining their teams to help them in gathering data and feeding a few dollars in support of their science. The poor bloody infantry of wildlife science.

While names like Jane Goodall come to mind immediately, it is also "the thousands of field scientists" who deserve our appreciation and accolades. I believe this forum has attracted several who share their insights with us.

Have to mention Nobel prize winner Wangari Maathai from Kenya for her Green Belt tree planting organization, may she rest in peace.

Edited by Atravelynn
2 people like this

Also the park rangers in parks and reserves , like the 3 that got killed in Garamba a few days ago !!

They risk their lives on a daily basis , i am sure that for a very modest salary , just to protect the environment and the wildlife that inhabits there.

Unknown true heroes !

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Those who give their heart and soul, their everything , sometimes their lives .

• Dianna Fossey for her work amongst mountain gorillas
  • Michael Werikhe the Rhino Man of Africa , for raising so much money, an activity which ultimately resulted in his murder
  • for people at the frontline rangers, sometimes wardens who resist poachers
  • David and Daphne Sheldrick for resisting poachers and raising orphans
  • Ann Merz for her founding role in the Lewa rhino reserve
  • Ian Craig for his vital role at Lewa and the Northern Rangelands Trust
  • Richard Leakey for his vital role in substantially reversing poaching in Kenya
Edited by COSMIC RHINO
1 person likes this

Anyone that does something instead of talking

3 people like this

For me the true heroes are the park rangers - they are at the front line, and risking their lives most of the time for very little pay, and even less recognition.

If I had to single out some of the more notorious ones:

David Attenborough - has inspired generations to appreciate and love wildlife

Dame Daphne Sheldrick - saving and returning orphaned elephants back into the wild, what an inspiration!

Jane Goodall - another incredible role model that has contributed with invaluable research as well as awareness efforts worldwide.

2 people like this

Don't forget the BDF in Botswana ..... their anti-poaching efforts are amazing!!!

2 people like this

How can we honor these heroes? In particular I am thinking of the rangers.

Usually, the true heroes remain unsung.They are all those hundreds of park rangers, who have died fighting poachers. They continue to go about their jobs without complaining, despite poor pay and usually inadequate equipment.

6 people like this

Usually, the true heroes remain unsung.They are all those hundreds of park rangers, who have died fighting poachers. They continue to go about their jobs without complaining, despite poor pay and usually inadequate equipment.

You are absolutely right.

we need everybody, small changes cause the big One.

First we need big names, for the people who are not involved in the wildlife and its protection.

We need counsellors or advisers on the ground.

I want to share with you the work of a conservation group in Kenya, Ewaso Lions .

They are fantastic, it's a " win-win agreement " between local people and wildlife. just

I love the sentence : "the lions are my cows now" . It was a little group and now they are better known, because it works.

I hope I'm not getting a little bit off topic.

1 person likes this