See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safaritalk Special Safari to Virunga National Park in the DRC with Doug Macdonald

Gorilla DRC trekking volcano Virunga

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 12:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Attached File  gorilla2.jpg   160.91KB   1 downloads

Safaritalk Special Safari to Virunga National Park in the DRC with Doug Macdonald.

The trip includes:

• 3 Nights Bukima Camp
  • 3 Nights Lulimbi Camp
  • 1 Night Mt Nyiragongo Volcano / Tchegeera Island Optional
  • 2 Nights Mikeno Lodge
  • 1 Night Flame Tree Village – Kigali
  • 2 Gorilla Trek Permits

Price Based on 4 confirmed Guests by 15 May 2016 – US$5850.00

Note: This price is based on an assumed transfer cost in and out of Lulimbi Camp – as this camp is so new they have not been able to confirm this price yet.

I have included a US$250.00 donation to one of the park projects that I am waiting for them to identify – this could be the gorilla orphanage or the blood hound project.

Attached File  gorilla1.jpg   141.95KB   2 downloads

I have just returned from a safari to Virunga National Park and I really enjoyed the quality of the Gorilla Sightings we had – There are over 100 habituated Mountain Gorilla’s in this park in 8 different family groups, along with a semi - habituated family of Chimpanzees.

In the background of all of this, is the ever present active Volcanoes. We climbed Mt Nyirerengo which has the world’s largest larva lake - an unbelievable spectacle watching it constantly changing in the dark night – not an easy climb but well worth it. Nearby there is also Mt Nyamuligira which also adds a nice glow at night to the whole scene and there is also a host of other dormant and extinct ones all within view.

This is a park that is trying to rebuild itself after many problems and is now being administered by ICCN so now there are many of the Congolese people that live in the area now being employed there and directly benefitting from the re –emergence of this, the oldest National Park in Africa.

It must be kept in mind though that these areas of Africa are politically volatile and there are elections here in November, so in my opinion I feel there is a really good window to see this park and also if there are no political problems after their elections this park will become very busy, very quickly and with that comes the associated price tags.

So let’s get there now and see this amazing area of Africa while the door is open to you.

The Itinerary

Attached File  Bukima.jpg   57.57KB   0 downloads

2 July 2016 – Arrive Kigali International Airport (Rwanda ) - Kenya Airways from Nairobi will be the most convenient arriving at 8.15am – I will meet you and a transfer vehicle will take us straight to the Goma border post for us to enter DRC. We change vehicles here into Landrovers and we go straight to Bukima Tented Camp. We will arrive in camp assuming flights all on time mid afternoon. Here we can relax after the long journey and enjoy the wonderful views over Mt Mikeno and the adjacent forest area. The camp itself is a traditional tented safari camp with large walk in safari tents that have proper beds and en suite toilet and bucket showers.

3 July 2016 – An early breakfast and we then begin our first gorilla trek, there are 4 families in the immediate area and depending on which family we are allocated the average would be about 1-2 hrs of walking to the family and then you have 1 hour with the gorilla family. So we usually return to camp around lunch – after lunch you can kick back and maybe we could do some birding for the beautiful forest birds that are in the area.

4 July 2016 – Much the same plan as the previous day but we will be allocated a different family group to visit.

5 – 8 July 2016 – Today we depart by in the vehicles after breakfast to the airstrip about an hour away where we will then fly North in a light aircraft to the new safari camp just being completed at the moment in Virunga so not yet opened making  you one of the first guests to be there. This is a tented camp with large walk in safari tents in much the same style as you had at Bukima. This area is characterised by a mixed mosaic of open grasslands and some open woodland and joins into the Queen Elizabeth National Park of Uganda. This will give you the more classic safari experience with the big animals like elephant lion and of course the big cats. Here we shall be able to walks and game drives.

Attached File  Volcano camp.jpg   47.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  volcano1.jpg   44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  volcano2.jpg   72.33KB   0 downloads

8 July 2016 – An early morning start and we fly back South to the main airport at Goma where we will be collected and then transferred to the start of the volcano trek. *(Please see note below) The walk requires a reasonable level of fitness over 8km and gets progressively steeper and colder as you reach towards the top of the volcano – you will be supplied with a backpack that contains most of the sleeping kit that you will require and this will be portered up the volcano by one of the local villagers, we will also have with is a chef from the camp who will also prepare all our meals during our time on the volcano.

We take regular rest stops and when you get to the top it is an amazing spectacle with all the noise, smoke and drama of an active volcano. It is like sitting watching the camp fire but on a massive scale.

Accommodation at the summit is in fibreglass A Frame cottages that are insulated enough to make your night up here quite comfortable. The ablutions are a little trickier but available but for this there are no showers only a toilet which is a climbing challenge but a real loo with a view.

9 July 2016 – We get up early and enjoy the early light on the volcano and then we start making our way down the volcano to get back down around mid morning. We then have a transfer vehicle that will take us to Mikeno Lodge for a well deserved hot shower – and a big lunch in this beautiful luxury lodge set up on  top of a hill overlooking the surrounding forest. After lunch we can relax and enjoy the surrounds and maybe go and visit the small gorilla orphanage and do some birding here.

Attached File  Double toothed barbet.jpg   131.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  mikeno.jpg   99.79KB   0 downloads

10 July 2016 – There is an option here of spending time with Chimpanzee Family that live around the camp area. Sometimes they move to inaccessible areas so we cant book this up front and will be an option when you are there.

Attached File  mikeno2.jpg   99.34KB   0 downloads

11 July 2016 – Today we leave Mikeno after breakfast and head back to the border post with Rwanda where we will clear the border and change transfer vehicles for our journey to Kigali. Assuming all goes to plan with no problems we will have time to visit the sombre yet fascinating Genocide museum in Kigali, we then will go to our lodge for our last night before transferring to the airport for our onward flights from Rwanda.

*Tchegeera Island instead of Mt Nyiragongo Volcano

Attached File  Lake kivu.jpg   74.23KB   0 downloads

If you feel for whatever reason you would prefer not to climb the volcano you have the option of going to Tchegeera Island for the night on Lake Kivu and a 40 min boat ride from Goma. It is a tented camp on Island Caldeera in Lake Kive which has beautiful views over the Lake and Volcanoes and will not alter the price.

You will then leave there in the morning to meet us at the end of our Volcano walk.

Now, there are still details to confirm and over the following days I'll be adding more photos and confirming costs 100%, what is and isn't included etc., so this introduction post is to gauge interest

How to register your interest/book: contact me at Doug Macdonald’s Safaris to Africa via email: doug@dougmacsafaris.com stating SAFARITALK SPECIAL OFFER in the subject line and mentioning your Safaritalk screen name in the enquiry so I know who you are. Feel free to ask any questions via email, or, if you’d prefer to add your questions in the replies below, I’ll be happy to respond.

I look forward to personally guiding you on this adventure.

Doug

• madaboutcheetah, kittykat23uk, wilddog and 5 others like this
Posted Image

Email: doug@dougmacsafaris.com
Tel: +263(0)774 820453

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

@J.Giner brought this video from 8th April to my attention on Facebook:

@Doug Macdonald that looks amazing!

• gagan likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

This looks like the trip @Anita refers to in this post http://safaritalk.ne...p/?fromsearch=1
  • kittykat23uk likes this
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#4 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:40 AM

Yes @Id1, it is very similar (actually, slightly "improved" I think).. Anita was mightily impressed (met her breifly in Hong Kong recently) and I've seen one or two very impressive and beautiful photos of gotillas and volcanoes floating around from her cameras.

@Doug Macdonald  Where is the picture immediately before the volcano shots from?

Waiting again... for the next time again

#5 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,571 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

It looks amazing! I would love to see the volcano! Such a shame that the exchange rate is so unfavourable at the moment here in the UK.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#6 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

@kittykat23uk the Dollar rate is beyond depressing for us. I am in the process of arranging a trip to Zim in 2017 and when I checked the long range forecast it suggests it could go as low as 1.22 to the GBP by the end of the year. It made me weep.
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#7 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 12:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hi Pault

The picture before the volcano lava lakes is taken at the huts we stay in on the rim of the volcano - it gives you an idea on how steep the last part of the climb is and the style of huts.

I will make a few calls to the treasury and get the exchange rate sorted if that helps everyone? just let me know

Regards

Doug

• kittykat23uk, pault, ld1 and 1 other like this
Posted Image

Email: doug@dougmacsafaris.com
Tel: +263(0)774 820453

#8 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Local time: 04:37 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

@Doug Macdonald This trip to the Eastern Congo is along with CAR and Zakouma National Park one of the three places I am dreaming of visiting the most. It would be simply awesome and not even that expensive in comparison to other safari locations. I could also do Rwanda in combination.

Edited by optig, 10 May 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#9 RichB

RichB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 10:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

It looks amazing! I would love to see the volcano! Such a shame that the exchange rate is so unfavourable at the moment here in the UK.

Even worse here in Australia Kittykat...I was planning to go last year on my first safari but until the AUD gets stronger against the USD I wont be going..

I do wonder sometimes why all these safari operators rates are in USD, which at the moment will only favour Americans or wealthy people.

#10 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Please start another topic re exhange rates/USD etc, this is specifically for questions or planning relating to @Doug Macdonald's Virunga trip. Any more discussion not related to this particular trip will be deleted.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#11 AmyT

AmyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Is this an ongoing special price?  I.e., perhaps 2018?

• amybatt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gorilla, DRC, trekking, volcano, Virunga

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.