See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safaritalk Mana Pools Special Safari guided By Doug Macdonald 2016 and NOW 2017

Zimbabwe Mana Pools Doug Macdonald Zambezi Elephant Fund

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Safaritalk Mana Pools Special Safari guided By Doug Macdonald and in Support of the Zambezi Elephant Fund.

Attached File  IMG_8169.JPG   100.97KB   0 downloads

I’m really pleased, thanks to Matt, to be able to offer Safaritalk members and their families the chance to come and experience Mana Pools with me in November this year on a Safaritalk Special Safari. Also we’ll have the chance to meet and speak with members of the Zambezi Elephant Fund.

Attached File  IMG_7694.JPG   169.04KB   0 downloads

(ZEF) works to actively protect elephants in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe by putting a stop to poaching and developing and putting in place systems that ensure the long-term safety of these incredible animals and the security and growth of other wildlife in the area, together with the protection of the environment and the improvement and sustainability of these efforts.The Zambezi Elephant Fund recognises the importance of involving and supporting local communities – and projects are in place already that can be further supported by the Zambezi Elephant Fund. It’s an organisation that I personally support and you can find out more about their work by visiting their website: www.zambezielephantfund.org. (Note: a 250 USD donation to the organistion will be made from the total cost of each participant.)

Attached File  IMG_1345.JPG   72.14KB   1 downloads

The itinerary is as follows:

• 1 Night Harare
  • 2 Nights Chitake Springs
  • 4 Nights Mana Pools Flood Plain
  • 2 Night Chikwenya Safari Lodge
  • US$3750.00 per person – Minimum 6 guests (confirmed by 1st July)

21 Nov 2016 – You arrive at Harare International Airport, after clearing customs and immigration formalities you will be met by a representative of Doug Macdonald’s Safaris. We then have a short transfer to your lodge for the night in the suburbs of Harare at the very comfortable Guinea Fowl Lodge – here we will all meet and relax with a great home cooked meal and get ready for the safari the next day.

22 Nov – After a good breakfast we shall then head to the airport for the flight to Mana Pools in a light aircraft – we will land at the main Mana Pools airstrip and from here we shall set off in an open safari vehicle to our first destination at Chitake Springs. This amazing place is close to the Zimbabwean side of the Rift Valley and this remote area has an amazing and permanent spring that supplies water to a large number of animals in an otherwise dry area. All through the day and night there is a steady flow of animals coming and going to Chitake Springs and of course with this comes the predators. This often makes a stay here quite action packed and our camp will be set up right on the edge of the water so there is often wildlife very close to or in the camp. The camp itself will have walk in safari dome tents that have two beds and the toilet and shower facilities will be shared, the bucket shower will be shared, and meals will be cooked on an open fire by a well experienced safari chef. As there are very few roads here we spend most of our time walking in this area or just sitting at a vantage point watching the activity around this very active and exciting area.

Attached File  048.JPG   52.38KB   0 downloads

24 Nov – From here we travel across the Zambezi Valley and down to the Mana Pools Flood Plain where we shall be for the next four nights. On our way there we will stop at the Zambezi Elephant Fund Rangers Post where you can meet the men involved with protecting our elephants and wildlife and see for yourself the facility and how the money we donate is spent. The mobile camp we had at Chitake will now be changed and you will have larger tents with en suite facilities and will be set up for us on the banks of the Zambezi River in the heart of the Mana Pools Flood Plain. From here we shall be able to explore the whole Mana Pools flood plain area – either on foot or by vehicle. You will be amazed by the density of wildlife on the floodplain that are drawn by the water and food provided by the Zambezi River. Highlights here could include tracking on foot a pride of lions or one of the packs of wild dogs that hunt through this area, and at this time of the year it is usual for them to have their puppies moving with the pack. Following on foot behind a big elephant bull as it makes way through the day is also a great way to spend some safari time. We try here to do as much walking as possible as this is the best way to enjoy the Mana Pools experience. Meals will be served al fresco under the canopy of trees that line the river bank and always with the sounds of the bush in the background.

28 Nov – Today we head further downstream and cross the Nyamatusi Wilderness area of Mana Pools before reaching the private concession area of the comfortable Chikwenya Safari Lodge on the boundary of Mana Pools. This is a very remote area of the Zambezi Valley with excellent wildlife and from here we have the flexibility of being able to go out on the Zambezi River by boat and to do night drives as well along with the game drives and walks. It’s a great way to finish off a stay in Mana Pools.

30 Nov – Today you leave Mana Pools by charter aircraft that will fly from Mana back to Harare and the flights will be times to correspond with your International Flights.

Attached File  IMG_4306.JPG   95.11KB   0 downloads

Price Includes

• Accommodation and transfers in Harare on a Bed and Breakfast Basis
  • All Accommodation in Mana Pools on a fully inclusive sharing basis as described above which includes drinks and meals. (Note: Drinks not included at Chikwenya)
  • All Game Viewing Activities
  • Transfers between camps in Mana Pools
  • Seat rate air charters between Harare and Mana Pools – Mana Pools and Harare
  • Private vehicle and privately Guided by Doug Macdonald in Mana Pools
  • National Parks Fees
  • Departure Taxes from Harare
  • A US$250.00 donation to the Zambezi Elephant Fund

Price Excludes

• Travel Insurance with remote evacuation cover
  • Tips and Gratuities
  • Items of a personal nature

How to book: contact me at Doug Macdonald’s Safaris to Africa via email: doug@dougmacsafaris.com stating SAFARITALK SPECIAL OFFER in the subject line and mentioning your Safaritalk screen name in the enquiry so I know who you are. Feel free to ask any questions via email, or, if you’d prefer to add your questions in the replies below, I’ll be happy to respond.

I look forward to personally guiding you in Mana Pools later this year.

Doug

I'll be uploading photos of the various accommodation in the next couple of days.

Attached Files

• Game Warden, Geoff, PT123 and 2 others like this
Posted Image

Email: doug@dougmacsafaris.com
Tel: +263(0)774 820453

#2 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

I've gone to Mana Pools with Doug and was inspired to report back in haikus!  I am going again.

Here's what @Anita said about Doug regarding a different safari location, although she has done MP with him too.

"just back from Virunga and to say its an incredible experience is an understatement. I have been to Bwindi previously but the experience in Virunga is like nothing else. Gorilla viewing is restricted to a max of 6 people and often 2-4 if the gorilla families have only 9-10 or less members. In total 100 habituated gorillas in 8 families, 6 of whom were accessible through two trekking start points and a total of 300 gorillas. I went with @Doug Macdonald and it was my 4th safari with him - as usual a brilliant most fun filled safari and Doug understands my way of safari better than anyone else in terms of what I need from the getaway, the wilderness, the photography etc and this is because he has really made the effort like he does with every client of his. If you wanted to go with a guide to Virunga,  cannot recommend anyone better than him."

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#3 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Another vote for Doug and this trip, which is identical to the one I took with him in 2014 earlier in the season. My finest safari to date and I'm heading back there in 2017.
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#4 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:25 PM

@ld1 Have you got a link to a trip report?

Recent trip reports from Mana Pools Safaris with Doug, or booked through Doug include:

Safari Virginity --- Gone. by @Big Andy which overlapped with the below trip,

Mana Magic and Hwange Highlights by @Michael ibk

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#5 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:43 PM

@Doug Macdonald. Thank you for being a part of Safaritalk and making this Special Safari available to members. Some of us have been to Mana Pools and returned with such positive memories of the wildlife, scenery and incredible encounters on foot and I hope that many more of us can experience its magic.

The prospect of working with the Zambezi Elephant Fund, and your recommendation of meeting with them and donating 250 UD$ from the cost of each safari is really helping to achieve my goal of having Safaritalk make a difference on the ground in Africa. I certainly hope we can hear more from John Stevens et al about their aims and achievements.

Many thanks.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#6 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:34 AM

Ooooh tempting tempting, and with time spent with Zambezi elephant fund is the icing on the cake. But timing is not good for me as it Clashes with year-end deadlines.
Cost wise, it sounds like a great deal. I'll be very envious of those who will make it on this trip.

#7 ElaineAust

ElaineAust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:57 AM

@Doug Macdonald, all I can say is that you are a nasty piece of work for posting this.  

Sounds very tempting but I have just changed jobs and can not do November safaris any more.

E

#8 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

my plans for 2016 are set in stone but if something similiar will be offered in 2017, I'll be on board

#9 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

@Game Warden Here is my trip report with an identical itinerary and guided by Doug, just the order was different as we did Mana, Chitake and then Chikwenya.

It was an amazing trip and who ever gets this one will be a lucky lucky camper indeed. If I am not mistaken there are two photos in Doug's description, from our trip. The dog chasing the impala's and then the group of dogs tucking into a different Impala. It was a dog riddled trip, we even saw a cheetah at Chitake!

http://safaritalk.ne...we-one-hundred/
  • twaffle and SafariChick like this
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#10 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,028 posts
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

This looks like a terrific trip.

one question @Doug Macdonald ....

accommodation is based on sharing, what happens to single travellers? Do they pay a supplement or do they get paired up with another single traveller?

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#11 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

This looks like a terrific trip.

one question @Doug Macdonald ....

accommodation is based on sharing, what happens to single travellers? Do they pay a supplement or do they get paired up with another single traveller?

good question!

#12 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the question and for this safari there is no single supplement, I am always do my best for guests travelling with me to not have to pay this.

Hope you can join up

Cheers

Doug

• Soukous likes this
Posted Image

#13 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

As someone who has traveled with @Doug Macdonald many times over the last 10 years (both in Zimbabwe and elsewhere) I can highly recommend both Doug and this trip.

Mana and Chitake will, by now, be well known to many Safaritalk members either through experience or the wonderful trip reports over the last 6 years or so.  I like Chikwenya as a final destination stop providing a little extra comfort and accommodation space at the end of the trip. 

I had my best ever Wilddog experience at Chikwenya sitting on the floor surrounded by puppies, so have fond memories of the concession.

Looks a really good trip to me.

• ld1 likes this

#14 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

Attached File  Chitake Camp.jpg   133.9KB   0 downloads

Chitake Camp

Attached File  Flood Plain Tents.jpg   97.37KB   0 downloads

Flood Plains tent

Attached File  Mana Mobile Camp on Flood Plain.jpeg   152.99KB   0 downloads

Mana Mobile Camp on Flood Plain

Attached File  Tent Bathroom.jpeg   119.47KB   0 downloads

Tent Bathroom

Attached File  Tent Inside.jpeg   108.15KB   0 downloads

Tent interior

Here are images of the tented accommodation and I'll be able to post more details later next week.

Doug.

• Africalover likes this
Posted Image

#15 Africalover

Africalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

I would love to go on Safari with you and explorer wonderful Zimbabwe. I hope to find the money in the future

#16 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi Africalover

It would be good if you can join me - as Zimbabwe is my home it will be a pleasure to show you how good a safari destination it is. Keep in touch and I hope we can make this happen.

Regards

Doug

Posted Image

#17 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi Everyone

Thankyou to those that have responded to me and it does seem that it will be necessary to run this safari for next year as well. So I have adjusted some of the details and you can read that on the link below - but a quick snap shot is that we wont be using Chikwenya ( they are refurbing the lodge into an upmarket tented camp so we are unclear at this time as to what that will be priced like and what the camp will be like )

So the basic trip would be 1 night in Harare - 3 nights Chitake and 4 nights on the Flood plain all in mobile camps, we can add on other camps and destinations but thi is is the basic trip and will cost US$3850.00 per person sharing.

Safari Talk Special to Mana Pools with Doug Macdonald - 2017

I look forward to seeing you in Mana

Doug

• AmyT likes this
Posted Image

#18 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

@Doug Macdonald Thanks for the update, I have amended the title. Matt.

#19 Doug Macdonald

Doug Macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi Everyone 

I have one guest that would like to add Kanga Pan and Hwange to this itinerary if anyone else is interested please let me know so we can reduce the transfer cost to Hwange and Vic Falls.

See you in Mana

Doug

Posted Image

#20 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Ohhh this is really tempting for 2017! Hmmm. Is there still space available?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zimbabwe, Mana Pools, Doug Macdonald, Zambezi Elephant Fund

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.