See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice

Virunga NP

3 posts in this topic

thanks to @@Anita, I have lately been in touch with a lady called Julia who seems to be the tourism manager of Virunga NP in DRC. She has informed me that park management is planning to set up a (new) camp to allow regular game drives, aside from trekking gorillas. If everything goes as planned, the camp should be up and running end of may, beginning of june (2016).

3 people like this

thanks to @@Anita, I have lately been in touch with a lady called Julia who seems to be the tourism manager of Virunga NP in DRC. She has informed me that park management is planning to set up a (new) camp to allow regular game drives, aside from trekking gorillas. If everything goes as planned, the camp should be up and running end of may, beginning of june (2016).

yup - just back from Virunga and to say its an incredible experience is an understatement. I have been to Bwindi previously but the experience in Virunga is like nothing else. Gorilla viewing is restricted to a max of 6 people and often 2-4 if the gorilla families have only 9-10 or less members. In total 100 habituated gorillas in 8 families, 6 of whom were accessible through two trekking start points and a total of 300 gorillas. I went with @@Doug Macdonald and it was my 4th safari with him - as usual a brilliant most fun filled safari and Doug understands my way of safari better than anyone else in terms of what I need from the getaway, the wilderness, the photography etc and this is because he has really made the effort like he does with every client of his. If you wanted to go with a guide to Virunga, cannot recommend anyone better than him. If you wanted to go on your own on razor sharp budget, you could still book through him or directly through Julie in Virunga- but dont miss it because of of a perception of DRC or travel advisories if you really wanted to visit - atleast explore the logistics and am sure you guys will be pleasantly surprised. Like I was.

You also meet some of the most amazing and interesting people in a safari like this. And if you can at all physically, or train yourself to, dont miss the Nyiragongo hike. Nothing like hiking up 8km, through lava scree and an elevation of 1km of hike and sleeping next to a huge mass of rumbling and noisy magma. There is a second fissure opened and that had its own drama going. I know @@Doug Macdonald is trying to put together another safari that will connect all the places we went to plus the Rwindi sector which is where the new camp will be from June - its a continuous ecosystem with Queen Elizabeth National Park and south of Lake Edward- definitely something worth exploring.

8 people like this

Thanks for the tantalizing info!