See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
offshorebirder

The epic journeys of the Pacific Golden plover

5 posts in this topic

This is an excellent article - I learned a few things about shorebird migration:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/life-sciences/epic-journeys-plover

Kudos to Wally Johnson for his tireless conservation efforts.

2 people like this

...and many Pacific Golden Plover continue further than Indonesia and spend months in southern Australia.

All those stopover spots must be saved from human development & exploitation for migratory shorebirds to survive.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

what a wonderful article. amazing that a small bird can fly so far without stopping. i always thought it was only the seagulls that did it, which shows how ignorant I am!

thanks for sharing @@offshorebirder

Edited by Kitsafari

@@offshorebirder

Absolutely amazing!

1 person likes this

Quite right @@Geoff. In particular the loss of the Saemangeum estuary and vast tidal flats in South Korea a few years ago (to filling and reclamation) was a tragic outcome for shorebirds. I have undertaken a lifelong boycott of all South Korean products as a result of their short-sighted government ignoring the huge international outcry against that project.

@@TonyQ and @@Kitsafari - glad you enjoyed the article. Kitsafari - amazingly, even smaller birds fly nonstop for days over the ocean during migration. Here in North America, the bulk of Blackpoll Warblers leave the northeast coast of the U.S. and fly nonstop to SOUTH AMERICA!

3 people like this