See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Nairobi International Airport

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

We came thru Jomo Kenyatta in January of 2014 and the arrivals hall was uneventful that we can remember, however the departures building was a nightmare.  We were dropped off in the middle of the traffic out in front and there must have been at least 200 people trying to just get into one door of the departures terminal.  It was a mad crush and inside was not any better.  It was like a mosh pit with no rhyme or reason.  We almost missed our flight because there was no structure and no instructions.  When we got upstairs finally the walls were of plywood with wires hanging everywhere and the airport lounge for Emirates was just a room with rows and rows of stackable chairs. Waiting lounges don't bother me,  It was the getting into the main building and checking in that has me very worried.   Please tell me that this has improved.  I don't think that I have ever been in a scarier airport in my life.  

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

We came thru Jomo Kenyatta in January of 2014 and the arrivals hall was uneventful that we can remember, however the departures building was a nightmare.  We were dropped off in the middle of the traffic out in front and there must have been at least 200 people trying to just get into one door of the departures terminal.  It was a mad crush and inside was not any better.  It was like a mosh pit with no rhyme or reason.  We almost missed our flight because there was no structure and no instructions.  When we got upstairs finally the walls were of plywood with wires hanging everywhere and the airport lounge for Emirates was just a room with rows and rows of stackable chairs. Waiting lounges don't bother me,  It was the getting into the main building and checking in that has me very worried.   Please tell me that this has improved.  I don't think that I have ever been in a scarier airport in my life.  

~ @Dakota's Mom

Welcome to Safaritalk!

Thank you so much for taking time to join.

I'm very sorry to read about the highly unpleasant experience you had during your departure from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA).

If I'd been in your shoes, I'd have had a similar reaction.

The positive news is that departing from JKIA isn't so harrowing these days.

I passed through there on 7 February, 2016, bound for Doha, Qatar on Qatar Airways.

It was quiet, uncrowded, without any commotion. Upstairs, the gate area was low-key and fairly normal.

I felt nothing negative whatsoever, being surprised at the relaxed vibe.

Please do consider a return visit to Kenya. If you do return, I'm confident that the JKIA departure experience will be much better.

Tom K.

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

I have used JKIA depatures  for 4 years in a row without a problem , it should be better next time.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#4 AndyH1000

AndyH1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

The line up at the door for the departures terminal is due to the bag scanners being at the front door - this creates a queue there. I don't think it's a bad thing. I have been through there a few times in recent years with young kids and always found it to be alright. I found the queue's outside and inside fairly orderly and people in good spirits. That's not to deny how you feel.

I have also had an Emirates flight out of there cancelled late at night and with kids, forced to scrum through immigration, scrum for a hotel pass, kids falling asleep on the floor in the arrivals area and then waiting on the street for a bus to a hotel until 4am in the morning. Not fun, but it didn't feel unsafe. While I was annoyed with Emirates poor organisation, I was impressed with how helpful some of the Airport management staff were. Would I go there again, absolutely.

Hopefully that is of some help.

• Tom Kellie likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.