Atravelynn

Atravelynn

A beautiful report, and I maintain that excessive cheetah posting can only be redressed by community service - that is, service to the Safaritalk community by providing another trip report soon. :)

Thank you for the nice comments. I'll be working on one soon where prairie dogs will be featured (North and South Dakota). Almost as cute as cheetah cubs.

• 2 weeks later...
Alexander33

@Atraveylynn

I've been away for a while, and what did I miss but another fantastic trip report? At this late date, I'll refrain from comments on anything specific, but just know how much I appreciate your sharing such good logistical information and inspirational narrative/photos, all infused with healthy dose of good humor and zest for life.

• 4 weeks later...
snuglbear13

@@Atravelynn Thank you so much for the thoroughly detailed trip report! Your pictures are fantastic! Cheetah cubbies are adorable! I love cats too, and this greatly helped me to decide which months and areas to concentrate on.

I'm curious what you do with your pics. It's a crime to just keep them on the computer. Do you have a shrine or safari room in your house? :lol:

I'm planning a Feb/March trip to Ndutu and hopefully Olare or Naboisho Conservancy if budget permits. Do you know if Ndutu Njozi lodge is only for guests who book through TWS? I didn't see a website or rates. Their quote was quite high so I'm awaiting several other quotes.

Atravelynn

Thanks for your comments, snuglbear13.

Your avatar substantiates your love of cats. Is it one of yours? Are there more?

For the pics, they come up in random order on the large screen of my computer. My husband sometimes likes to look at them as they pop up on the screen while listening to the theme song from that old show, The Wild Wild West in youtube. He says it is the perfect combination. I find that amusing.

But I am also "old school" and take the best shots and develop 5x7s, along with the couple of 8x10 collages using Shutterfly and stick them in Print File Archival Preservers in a binder. The Print File Archival Preservers have a little strip where you can add a description on a piece of paper. I write the description note cards sliced into thin strips. I have some friends and family that I show the photos to now and then. A couple of my buddies plan lunch outings around my latest photos. Once in a while if someone approaches me contemplating an Africa trip I educate them with my photos.

I want to get one of those digital picture frames that rotates photos--kind of like the screen saver does. But there is no shrine.

Njozi may be a better price if you are using The Wild Source for your trip, as I did. Overall, I found it to be a good deal, but on this 2016 trip, I did not ask for breakout pricing.

A Ndutu-Mara Conservancy combo trip in Feb/March would be a dream safari and one I have contemplated. Two prime areas, especially for cats, and high likelihood of cheetahs! Wow! I'll be interested in your findings on the best logistics between the two and which you decide to do first. I had thought I would do the Mara if such a safari ever materialized.

If you happen to find yourself in Ndutu in mid-Feb of 2017, we could cross paths. I cannot believe I am going back, but I am.

And thank you @@Alexander33! I hope your recent absence was for exciting travel or other fun stuff.

snuglbear13

My avatar is a pic of my Persian cat, Wesley. He is my only one, for now.

I'll keep you updated as I get more quotes and itineraries. It's definitely at an uncomfortable area as far as budget for right now lol Have you considered doing the Big Cat Migration plus Kenya extension in March through The Wild Source? I know you already have 2017 planned. That's also something I'm considering

Atravelynn

@@snuglbear13, I didn't see that trip for that time frame on their website. Do stick in a link. I would consider it for a future year, but not 2017.

Wesley is gorgeous and I am sure he knows it. Assuming it is a he.

Uh_oh busted

ackkkkkK! Now I need to go THERE!!!!!

snuglbear13

@@Atravelynn -

Yes, Wesley is a he.

It isn't posted on their website. Darcy emailed it to me when I expressed interest in their previous trip. Here is the Tanzania itinerary. She said the Kenya extension wasn't ready yet. Didn't see anywhere to upload a file

ITINERARY Mar 15

Arusha. The African Tulip Hotel.

Arrival into Kilimanjaro International Airport where you are met by a representative from The Wild Source. Transfer approximately 50 minutes to Arusha. Accommodation in the African Tulip.

Mar 16

Manyara Ranch Private Conservancy. Manyara Ranch.

Mar 17

Mar 18

Ngorongoro Crater. Lemala Ngorongoro Camp.

Morning drive in Manyara Ranch Conservancy with a picnic lunch followed by a transfer (approx. 2 hours) into the Ngorongoro Conservation area. Continue to the Lemala Ngorongoro Camp, located along the crater rim, for the evening.

Mar 19

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Early morning game drive inside the Ngorongoro Crater, taking advantage of your proximity to the crater entrance while wildlife is busiest and vehicle numbers are fewest. Enjoy a picnic breakfast and a picnic lunch as you game drive on the crater floor. In the afternoon, you have a 2-hour drive to the legendary Ndutu area.

Mar 20

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 21

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 22

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 23

Central Serengeti National Park. Lemala Ewanjan Camp.

Morning game drive departure from camp, making your way through the Ndutu region en route to the Naabi Hill entrance of the Serengeti National Park. Continue on game drive through the park with a picnic lunch en route to Lemala Ewanjan Camp, located in the Seronera region.

Mar 24

Mar 25

Departure.

Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn -

Yes, Wesley is a he.

It isn't posted on their website. Darcy emailed it to me when I expressed interest in their previous trip. Here is the Tanzania itinerary. She said the Kenya extension wasn't ready yet. Didn't see anywhere to upload a file

ITINERARY Mar 15

Arusha. The African Tulip Hotel.

Arrival into Kilimanjaro International Airport where you are met by a representative from The Wild Source. Transfer approximately 50 minutes to Arusha. Accommodation in the African Tulip.

Mar 16

Mar 17

Mar 18

Ngorongoro Crater. Lemala Ngorongoro Camp.

Morning drive in Manyara Ranch Conservancy with a picnic lunch followed by a transfer (approx. 2 hours) into the Ngorongoro Conservation area. Continue to the Lemala Ngorongoro Camp, located along the crater rim, for the evening.

Mar 19

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Early morning game drive inside the Ngorongoro Crater, taking advantage of your proximity to the crater entrance while wildlife is busiest and vehicle numbers are fewest. Enjoy a picnic breakfast and a picnic lunch as you game drive on the crater floor. In the afternoon, you have a 2-hour drive to the legendary Ndutu area.

Mar 20

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 21

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 22

Ndutu. Njozi Ndutu Camp.

Mar 23

Morning game drive departure from camp, making your way through the Ndutu region en route to the Naabi Hill entrance of the Serengeti National Park. Continue on game drive through the park with a picnic lunch en route to Lemala Ewanjan Camp, located in the Seronera region.

Mar 24

Mar 25

Departure.

Funny how a report from one year can lead to an itinerary for the next. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...
Amylovescritters

I know I’m late to the party but I have thoroughly enjoyed this trip report. I will be traveling with TWS in April 2019 and will be spending 3 nights each at Njozi and Namiri Plains, in addition to 2 nights at Tarangire Simba Lodge, a night at Sopa on the crater rim, 3 nights at Dunia, and 2 nights at Mbalageti. 

Your report has increased my excitement and enthusiasm, if it is possible to be anymore excited... I am living vicariously until then.

A year and three months to go. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

@Amylovescritters I will be most interested in your report on April weather in those locations.  That time of year intrigues me due to fewer people, dramatic weather, and discounts!

• 2 years later...

In Googling for Namiri Plains and then finding this wonderful Safaritalk website I have enjoyed several hours over this Covid bank holiday weekend (U.K.) on cyber safari with you Lynn.
Your descriptions have fuelled my own desires and your photography is outstanding.
Our first safari was to Kenya in 1985 and then Tanzania in 1991 – many more countries, more safaris since but so much has changed over the years so we are very careful in looking for ‘off the beaten track’ camps which offer the game viewing encounters which so enrich our memories.  Your report has been a boon – thank you so much.

Re: cattle markets – we found a very rural and non-touristic one during our stay in the Gambia; my photo of their abattoir (a big tree with a couple of ropes) could easily be mistaken for yours in Tanzania (apart from their local dress)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikoonan/albums 

Edited by TansySue