See all Safaritalk Special Offers

PHALANX

What altitude, big game?

12 posts in this topic

To what altitude do you need to go before you stop seeing big game?

On Mt Kenya & in the Aberdare's there are large numbers of Elephants & Buffalo, also many Leopard & Hyena.

These are seen for sure at around 7,000' - 8,000'.

At the very top of Kilimanjaro they discovered a a frozen leopard in 1926 and a pack of wild dogs were observed in 1962.

1 person likes this

At the very top of Kilimanjaro they discovered a a frozen leopard in 1926 and a pack of wild dogs were observed in 1962.

Was the Leopard, the one who inspired Hemingway?

I would not have expected Wild dogs. Thanks @ellenhighwater

I'm not sure about Hemingway, but that sounds likely.

I should also add that I saw leopard prints at the Sankaber camp in the Simiens in Ethiopia and that was at 10597 feet (3,230 meters) and there were signs of buffalo in Volcanos NP in Rwanda at a similar altitude.

2 people like this

~ @@ellenhighwater

You do get around.

I admire that!

Thanks for letting us know about such high altitude tracks.

Tom K.

We saw Reedbuck in both the Bale and Simien Mountains last year. Abyssinian lion are occasionally seen in Bale (sometimes on the meadow opposite Bale Mountain Lodge).

1 person likes this

@@Simien Lodge, feel free to talk about the wildlife in the proximity of where you are.

Matt

1 person likes this

Last Year on Shira Plateau (Mt. Kilimanjaro) we had a smal herd of Eland.

During our day walk on the Plateau we saw tracks from buffalos and excrement from a hyena. Shira Plateau is at 3.200 meters.

2 people like this

Depends on what you call Big Game. In the Simiens in Ethiopia we have leopard and they are found up to 13000ft. More info on Simiens here;

http://safaritalk.net/topic/15311-simien-lodge-highest-hotel-in-africa-3260m-new-member/

But plenty of gelada, walia ibex, Ethiopian wolf. Ah, but plenty of chatter right now on Safaritalk about the loss of the wolves in bale.

The latest information that I have is that there are probably now only 80 to 100 wolves in Bale and about the same number in the Simiens.

The latest information that I have is that there are probably now only 80 to 100 wolves in Bale and about the same number in the Simiens.

That is sad to hear.:(

Just coming home from Bhutan and there is ALOT of wildlife between 4100-4500m (13500feet-15000feet).
I personally saw Blue Sheep, Himalayan Mountain Goat (Ghoral), Marmots and Red fox together with alot of birds at that altitude.

The Tiger, Pallas cat and the Snowleopard where around the corner as well at the same altitude according to camera traps.

Next year there will be a big expedition in Bhutan to search for which cat-species who actually lives in the country and where.
Probably BBC will film everything.
If you want to volonteer, contact Bhutans ministry of nature.

2 people like this