More ID help please (Western US gulls)

Patty

I decided to join in on the Big Year this year and am having a heck of a time trying to ID my gulls. Below are my photos (all of which were taken in the Elkhorn Slough/Moss Landing area of California) and best guesses.

Herring Gull
gallery_5741_1505_708585.jpg

Ring-billed gull
gallery_5741_1505_1211154.jpg

Western Gull, second winter?

gallery_5741_1505_339321.jpg

Am I even close? :D

@@Patty,,,the third photo looks like a Western Gull juvenile. A second year one has more white on the chest and the beak is more yellow....as per my Audubon Guide for California Birds app.

Thanks @@marg! I had thought the juveniles were browner overall like this one.

gallery_5741_1505_690022.jpg

The slightly paler head in the third photo was confusing me.

@@Patty, that 3rd picture looks like a Sea Otter to me...but I can't tell because it's blocked by some sort of seagull... <_< .

Sorry, couldn't help myself....

@@Patty, that 3rd picture looks like a Sea Otter to me...but I can't tell because it's blocked by some sort of seagull... <_< .

:lol: