1) Name of property and country: (Please also include name of property and country as topic title and include as tags as well)
The Emakoko, Nairobi National Park, Nairobi, Kenya
2) Website address if known:
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known).
4) Length of stay:
1 night plus day-room
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what?
Recommended to me by safari planner. I wanted to visit NNP, no idea where I wanted to say.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently?
Safari planner did all the work
7) How many times have you been on Safari?
This was my third
8) To which countries?
Tanzania and Kenya, one time each prior
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to?
Ngorongoro Farmhouse, Maramboi Tented Camp in TZ. Nothing comparable on my last Kenya visit (all Porini camps)
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced?
Not that I could tell
11) How many rooms/tents does it have?
10 rooms that are more like little houses set into the hillside
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private?
Room 3 was on the main level, five more are built into the hill higher up. All overlook a riverbed where there is constant activity. Hyraxes, waterbuck and vervet monkeys spotted right near rooms during the day
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent?
Very comfortable: overstuffed chairs in front of fireplace, enormous bed, soaker tub, waterfall shower, toilet, double-sinks in bathroom, balcony with chairs and table.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why.
Extremely good food. Creative and plentiful, very tasty. Both dinners, lunch and breakfast that I had were something I'd go back for!
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?)
Yes, they catered to vegetarian, unsure of other diets. I requested this in advance through my safari planner.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes?
Single tables. Manager was around most of the time, socializing with guests.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives?
Did not have any meals out on game drives.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible.
Typical Land-Rovers, open sides, sunroof top, three rows of seats
19) How many guests per row?
2 in the first 2 rows behind driver, 3 in the last row
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken?
From the airport you have to drive through NNP to get to the Emakoko, so you're always on a game drive. Officially, I went out from 4-7ish on my first day there, and did game drives to/from the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage my second day there.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?
I'm unsure what standard hours are, as I wasn't there long enough.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?
Not private that I'm aware of.
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?
Passed several self-drive vehicles which were not meant to be safari vehicles (personal-use cars instead). Don't recall seeing other camp/lodge vehicles. Any sightings we had were alone.
24) Are you able to off-road?
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting.
It never came up, unsure.
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings?
Surprising number of rhinos (12, 6 each black and white) during my stay. Excellent sighting on the black rhino. Superb sighting of male leopard at sunset.
27) How was the standard of guiding?
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue?
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:
Peter knows photography and the park well, also seems to know where to find particular animals in their usual places. Set me up well for photos.
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs?
Extremely so. Anthony was very excited by my leopard sighting, which was an indicator that he cares about the guest experience.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known.
Participates in "lion lighting scheme" which deters lions from attacking community bomas.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Anthony and Emma run a great business here. The rooms are comfortable, the food great, the wildlife sightings are extraordinary (surprisingly so, given that it's technically right in the city of Nairobi!) I loved the time here and jokingly daydream about retiring here. I aspire to be like the old ladies in Fawlty Towers coming to meals every day…
There is very healthy wifi.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.
Main level rooms:
Bedroom from balcony: