LynneB

Longer stay, limited budget

11 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to take a few months off and would like to spend 3-4 weeks in Southern Africa.

I usually only manage 8/9 days on safari due to budget. Any ideas of anywhere I can stay for 3-4 weeks, I don't want to move around too much, perhaps a week in each lodge? I'm guessing South Africa is probably my best bet? I don't mind a bit of camping but not for the whole time. Thanks

Would you consider self driving and catering? SanParks public rest camps in Kruger?

1 person likes this

~ @@LynneB

A 3 to 4 week stay in Southern Africa sounds like great fun!

If you feel that South Africa is your best bet, Sabi Sands is an outstanding wildlife viewing area.

I stayed at Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands for 9 days/8 nights in January, 2016, with each day utterly unlike the others.

One would remain engaged with nature in Sabi Sands, where the condition of the wide variety of species is generally excellent.

I hope that your plans for an extended, multiple location safari will result in a marvelous experience!

Tom K.

@@LynneB

What is the budget? I would book everything on the ground once you get there.

I would aim to do 2 countries using this technique, should be mobile safaris and lodges available. Never done it in South Africa, though Botswana is really easy just rocking up in Maun, Nairobi or Arusha and sorting a trip from there. I would allocate 2/3 days to get it all sorted.

In my experiece look at SADC rates as an example of what you can get in country.

Wild at Tuli, in the Tuli Block, Botswana, might be one option. It is rustic, but you have everything you need and the food ( you can self cater ) is good. The rates are very reasonable and the birding is good, but there is not as much wildlife as in some areas. The local staff were all very pleasant and helpful but not trained to a level that some would expect. I loved the setting and would have been happy to spend a week sitting on the deck outside the tent! A downside for me would be that you are alone on the island at night.

If necessary they can collect you at the border.

Would you consider self driving and catering? SanParks public rest camps in Kruger?

I would but I'm travelling alone this time so would be challenging...

@@LynneB

What is the budget? I would book everything on the ground once you get there.

I would aim to do 2 countries using this technique, should be mobile safaris and lodges available. Never done it in South Africa, though Botswana is really easy just rocking up in Maun, Nairobi or Arusha and sorting a trip from there. I would allocate 2/3 days to get it all sorted.

In my experiece look at SADC rates as an example of what you can get in country.

Looking at under $175 per night plus flights and transfers. I took a quick look at some of the Kruger lodges and it might be possible there as I'm guessing they'd discount for a longer stay or as you suggest booking in country. Will take a look at SADC.

You might want to consider some volunteering e.g. there is a Predator project in Naboisho conservancy. There is a volunteer project in Phinda reserve (you might even participate in some rhino relocation). Actually there are quite a few reliable volunteer projects in South Africa and Kenya.

1 person likes this

@@LynneB Shindzela in Timbavati in the Greater Kruger should come in under that I think, particularly with the Rand where it is right now in relation to the dollar. They have long stay discounts. It is a nice little camp, only 8 rooms, in a nice area of the Kruger. They also offer some walking safari.

If I had a month to spare I would definitely look into this as an option http://www.winterdodger.org/volunteer-projects.html

I can vouch for Wildlife ACT as a great option for a Low cost volunteer safari.

1 person likes this

@@LynneB Shindzela in Timbavati in the Greater Kruger should come in under that I think, particularly with the Rand where it is right now in relation to the dollar. They have long stay discounts. It is a nice little camp, only 8 rooms, in a nice area of the Kruger. They also offer some walking safari.

If I had a month to spare I would definitely look into this as an option http://www.winterdodger.org/volunteer-projects.html

I can vouch for Wildlife ACT as a great option for a Low cost volunteer safari.

thanks to both of you, I will investigate further

@@LynneB

Check out the AirBnB options that are bordering Kruger or other parks, places in South Africa. I think these can offer a great option if you also look at buying long stay entrance ticket. Hiring a car is not expensive in South Africa and I found driving to be easy. You have the opportunity to be your own boss as well.

If you are staying longer then getting to know the locals, rangers and guides in the area who could pass on their knowledge about sightings.