JakeGC

UK newspaper article on conservation-themed safaris in Kenya

3 posts in this topic

An article by Paul Ogden in the Manchester Evening News:

Going back to nature on an ecologically friendly African adventure

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/trips-and-breaks/travel-review-conservation-themed-safari-11002675

post-6310-0-75170000-1458043866_thumb.jpeg

Camps and Lodges available from Gamewatchers Safaris

1 person likes this

@@JakeGC

Could I ask a couple of questions about Porini vehicles without appearing completely anal.

Do you have any completely open options that would allow me to sit next to the driver without a windscreen? If I were to book a private vehicle, could you source one similar to those used at Mara Plains?

Secondly, in the attached image, if I booked for say a 10 night stay, could you take the front two guest seats out and the side door to allow for low angle photography?

Your rates for me are enticing though the layout of your vehicles (for my personal preference) would be a deal breaker.

@@russell
Many thanks for your interest in our Porini vehicles and I note that you would be interested in sitting in the spotter's seat and having a vehicle without a windscreen. On the shared gamedrives it would be possible to sit in the spotter's seat if you were with your own group and this does happen from time to time and then the spotter sits in the next row. However if you were travelling alone and joining other guests on shared game drives then it could be a little awkward if the others wished to have our normal arrangement which they are accustomed to - that is the driver and spotter working as a team and sitting in front and then turning round to speak about the sighting, wildlife, etc.

As an alternative option, I note that you mention you might consider staying 10 days and paying for exclusive use so that you have the vehicle to yourself if we can then remove the door and the front row of seats. This could be a possibility and I will send you an Inbox message to discuss this further.

You mention the Mara Plains vehicles and I have ridden in them myself a number of times as we are partners in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy. I don't recall them having a removable door and the picture of the vehicle on Safaritalk shows a fixed side and you climb over this to enter the vehicle - see the image on this link below. However I will check with them to see if things have changed and will let you know.
http://safaritalk.net/uploads/gallery/album_746/gallery_1_746_808.jpg

Best wishes

Jake

Jake Grieves-Cook
Gamewatchers Safaris & Porini Camps