Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaminKaz

Namiri Plains, Serengeti, Tanzania

6 posts in this topic

1) Name of property and country: Asilia Africa, Namiri Plains, Serengeti, Tanzania

2) Website address if known: www.asiliaafrica.com

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Low/Green season, March, 2015

4) Length of stay: 2 nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I read about this property on TA and saw it had a meerkat family (which was not around when we were there). There are two pet meerkats that are the property of the owner.

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did the initial research and then contacted Troy at True Africa who arranged everything.

7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 visits

8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? A small tented camp similar to Dunia Camp.

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No, security was required for all night movement outside of the tent.

11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 9 tented rooms

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had views over the waterhole.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were large, comfortable, well furnished and clean. Excellent bathrooms with flushing toilet and bucket showers.

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was excellent.

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Yes, hosted dinners each night.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Fantastic.

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Open vehicles and also one enclosed vehicle with a pop top that needs to be booked in advance if required. Ideal for during the wet season.

19) How many guests per row? 2

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? As long as you wanted.

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? Yes, completely up to the clients.

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? Very little cars, quiet and remote.

24) Are you able to off-road? No

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A during our stay

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. Big cat country, great migration and plains game.

27) How was the standard of guiding? Fantastic

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: friendly, informative, happy, proactive and helpful

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The service was good (little slack) but guiding, location and sightings were unbelievable.

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Yes, Asilia has many conservation iniatives.

32) Safaritalk trip report link:

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:

Namiri Plains is a new property opened by Asilia approximately 90 minutes from the Seronera Airstrip in the Serengeti. The property is a tented camp offering guests the opportunity of some of the best game viewing in Tanzania without the crowds. I visited Namiri with my parents who were first time safari travellers in April this year and was blessed with fantastic sightings, an unexpected arrival of the great migration (due to unseasonal weather), a wonderful room/view and lovely staff. Due to heavy rains in the Seronera area we extended our stay for an additional two nights which allowed us to enjoy our time even more. The area is renowned for their big cats especially the lions and cheetahs. We did manage to get an exceptional sighting of a large male leopard who crossed our path as well. We all loved our time at Namiri and even with the wet weather I have no hesitation in coming back next year for another 8 nights. Yes there are some problems with the service but I was there for the animals and our guide was fantastic. Lots of stories and photos from a brilliant time. Our trip was made stress free by using Troy from True Africa who arranged everything for us and provided my parents with the trip of a lifetime. I have already used him again for my next trip in November.

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

@@SaminKaz - were the roads boggy during the rains in the Namiri area? We were lucky that we had a nice dry spell ...... I think we had some rain during the final morning, but, we were just transferring back to the Seronera airstrip.

1 person likes this

@madaboutcheetah

Yes, we had some wet spells which meant not just bad roads but a few bogs as well. Mum was a little apprehensive with the fishtailing and getting bogged so she didn't go out on every drive like myself and was happy to enjoy being in camp. I enjoy the different opportunities offered with the dry and wet when on safari so going in the wet season is not a problem for me. The smartest move I made was pre-arranging the enclosed car for the three of us which gave my mum the peace of mind that she wouldn't get wet and she dislikes wind so she could close the windows when necessary. It also meant we had photographic opportunities from the roof or from the windows.

1 person likes this

Here are just some of the big cat sightings we had whilst at Namiri Plains.

2 people like this

@@SaminKaz

You said " Yes, there were some problems with the service ". Can you elaborate? Thanks.

@@AKR1

The staff were not as proactive or professional compared to other Asilia properties but this certainly didn't detract from my stay. The camp was fairly new and some staff still needed more training, real experience and of course feedback to live up to the expectation that this property attracts. Honestly, I would go back there because the area and sightings were magical. I love the feeling of isolation in the bush and the joy of not seeing other cars is a huge bonus for me, except when stuck in bogs where there is no radio contact ;-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0