I wanted to write about this property because Swakopmund and Walvis Bay offer excellent animal and nature experiences for the safari/animal/nature enthusiast.
1) Name of property and country: Sea Breeze Guesthouse, Swakopmund
2) Website address if known: https://www.airbnb.c...u/rooms/2448278
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Low/Green season, March, 2015
4) Length of stay: 4 nights
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I was advised about this property from my travel agent and then read about this property on TA and saw it offered a self contained option which is what we wanted.. I thought it would be a good place to relax whilst we did some local activities. It also offered security parking.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? Discover Namibia who arranged everything.
7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 visits
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? This was a modern bed and breakfast property close to the beach.
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? Yes, excellent security
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 12
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? No views offered.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The room was a large, comfortable, well furnished, disability accessible and super clean. The room was self contained which was great and offered a separate bedroom, a very large kitchenette/lounge with two single beds. Breakfast was offered in the main communal area upstairs.
14) Did you like the food? We self catered.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer on the menu for breakfast.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Not sure
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? N/A
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. N/A
19) How many guests per row?
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? N/A
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? N/A
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like? N/A
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? N/A
24) Are you able to off-road? No
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. In the area we saw seals, jellyfish, snakes, chameleons, desert adapted flora and fauna.
27) How was the standard of guiding? Excellent with the tours/activities we booked.
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were not very happy and super helpful.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Not sure.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Sea Breeze is a lovely boutique guesthouse offering clean and well designed rooms in a safe and secure area. We stayed in a self contained apartment that was disable friendly and were extremely happy with everything. The staff and management were very helpful in assisting us with information about the area, keeping our room clean and washing our clothes so they were ready for the next part of our Namibian adventure. The location was close to supermarkets and the beach, it was also a quiet area which was helpful for a great sleep. I would have no hesitation in recommending Sea Breeze.
34) Activities we did in the area:
Batis Birding Safari and Day Tours
One of the highlights of our stay in Swakopmund. My parents and I absolutely loved our day spent in the desert and then down in the moon landscape. We learnt so much and really appreciated the time and effort taken to show us the beauty of the desert and surrounding areas.
Walvis Bay - Pelican Point Kayaking
My parents and I enjoyed the time we spent kayaking with the seals. It was an experience that cannot be repeated. It is important to wear a waterproof jacket just in case the jacket and/or pants they provide does not fit and take spare pants/shorts just in case you get wet. A waterproof camera i.e. GoPro is ideal for this activity
Walvis Bay - Sandwich Harbour 4*4
My parents and I loved our tour to Sandwich Harbour. The lunch supplied was fantastic and it was lovely eating amongst the dunes out in nature. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe during our drives and we learnt a lot from our guide about the desert environment and flora/fauna. I would definitely recommend.
Walvis Bay – Kuseib Delta Adventures
I took my 66 year old parents on this tour and they had a brilliant time. We all learnt so much about the desert, flora/fauna and history of the people who inhabited this area. The quad biking was so fun. My mum who started off apprehensively but was soon leading the pack and going up and down sand dunes without any fear. Would definitely recommend!
Walvis Bay – Anchors @ The Jetty
Fantastic food, price and location. Definitely worth visiting for their oysters which were amazing. We enjoyed a brilliant platter, oysters and drinks that offered a little bit of everything and certainly satisfied three adults. Service was great, drinks were cold, view was awesome.