1) Name of property and country: Sossus Dune Lodge (NWR), Sossusvlei, Namibia
2) Website address if known: http://www.nwr.com.n...ssus-dune-lodge
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Low/Green season, March, 2015
4) Length of stay: 2 nights
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I read reports on TA about this property allowing their guests to leave an hour earlier for the desert sunrise tour which was very important for me. The camp was also inside the national park which also offered other interesting opportunities for wildlife and spectacular views.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did the initial research and then contacted Discover Namibia who arranged everything.
7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 times
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? A desert version of Mowani without the big boulders.
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No, but there wasn’t too much around to be worried about
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 25 desert chalets
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had views from both of the room’s balcony and the communal area had breathtaking views over the desert which were better because the area was more elevated.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were large, comfortable, well furnished and clean. Unfortunately the rooms were extremely hot with little help from the fans provided. The cold water in the showers was too hot to use until approximately 9pm at night. We enjoyed our time in the communal area where there was a pool that offered an opportunity to cool down a little.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was ok. We had breakfast included, which we enjoyed. We decided to indulge in cheese, crackers and wine for both of the dinners.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? The packed breakfast during our dune tour was very good.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Open 4WD with enclosed tarp windows which helped keep the wind out during our drive to the dunes.
19) How many guests per row? Up to 3 in each row but normally 2.
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Guided dune walks were offered which were approximately 5/6 hours.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? Guided nature drives and dune tours were between 3-6 hours depending on the activity, guided walks to Sesrium Canyon were also on offer.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? There were cars around but due to the low season/summer not as many as normal.
24) Are you able to off-road? No
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. We saw only jackal.
27) How was the standard of guiding? Our dune guide was very good.
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: Friendly, helpful, informative, happy and fun.
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were happy and helpful when requested but didn’t seem to be very proactive with their service.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Not sure.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Pleasantly surprised about this property considering we had low expectations. The rooms were great although a bit of a hike from the main communal area. The food was disappointing but we knew this and came prepared with our own snacks/drinks to enjoy on our front deck whilst watching the sunset and the amazing stars at night. The staff were not very present which didn't effect us in anyway because we were quite self sufficient. The access to the dunes for the sunrise tour was our main reason for staying here and was well worth the price. Nothing better than being the first people on the dunes and seeing the brilliant sunrise. Excellent photo opportunities.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.
Views over the dunes at sunrise. Guests at the lodge get here an hour before anyone else.
19628633221_4fc49da4ab_o.jpg 38.89KB 0 downloads
19435895320_f5f177450f_o.jpg 56.91KB 0 downloads
17830189558_9acdc08070_o.jpg 74.66KB 0 downloads