See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What Camps In What Countries For Striped Hyena?

striped hyena

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vishal

vishal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 09:10 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:52 AM

Has anyone on this forum ever spotted a striped hyena? If not, is there any place that has reports of consistent sightings? Any replies are greatly appreciated!

#2 Big_Dog

Big_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

Areas around (but not the parks themselves) the Serenegti / Ngorongoro such as Ndutu are supposed to be a good bet.
Velavader Blackbuck National Park in India seems to often have good daytime and den sightings too. :)

• offshorebirder likes this

"What, no hyaena pictures?"

#3 AfricIan

AfricIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

Only seen one once - 2010 in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Masai Mara (Porini Lion Camp).    It didn't hang around to pose for the camera either!!

DSC_1163.jpg

DSC_1164.jpg

• madaboutcheetah, wilddog, Caracal and 5 others like this

Ian

Photographs from our Africa trips in my PicasaWeb albums

#4 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

The only place that I've seen a striped hyena was in Meru National Park in October of last year. I was quiet excited, and don't expect to see one again.
  • cheetah80 likes this

#5 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

I've spend appr. 250 hours around Ndutu and have (unfortunately) yet to see a striped hyena

#6 cheetah80

cheetah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

To my knowledge it's quite unusual to see them, and I haven't heard of "reliable" places to see them - so I too would be curious to know whether there might be such a place.  But most of the photos I have seen were from Ndutu, and a few from the Conservancies near the Masai Mara.  But still it's very very few people who see them there: and my guess is that the few photos I see are all from the same sighting.

#7 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

I have seen Striped Hyena twice, both times in Kenya,  in Meru and Loisaba.

Supposedly Laikipia Wilderness Camp should give a better than average chance to sse tham and in fact they curiously present a greater danger to wild dogs than Spotted Hyena there. There was an inactive Striped Hyena den not far from camp at the time of my stay.

The majority of the photos I have seen comes from southern Loliondo/Lake Eyasi area, but I have never encountered a Striped Hyena in Tanzania even in the good places - I think Manyara Ranch (wjere I have not been) would offer a fair chance.

Striped Hyena's distribution in Africa given the right habitat  is very large - from Egypt to northern Tanzania - so potentially one may get lucky in many places, but s/he needs to be really lucky.

Edited by Paolo, 03 March 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#8 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

@AfricaIan

Are you very sure that the images you posted above are not of an Aardwolf, rather than a Striped Hyena?

I have heard much about Striped Hyena sightings in Ndutu, Tz.

In Kenya, I have seen Striped Hyena in Ol Pejeta and I've found their tracks on numerous occasion in Olare Motorogi and Naboisho.  They've also been caught on camera traps multiple times in Naboisho.  I know they're not uncommon in Laikipia, Samburu, and further North, but seeing them on a game drive is another story.

This morning, I saw on the Galana Conservancy FB page that they'd captured on on their camera trap: https://www.facebook...?type=3

Edited by armchair bushman, 03 March 2016 - 12:39 PM.

• wilddog and optig like this

#9 AfricIan

AfricIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

I'm happy to be corrected @armchair bushman but it was ID'd as a Striped Hyena by our guide - Although the light was going & it disappeared very quickly he thought it was probably too big for an Ardwolf.

• armchair bushman likes this

Ian

#10 Big_Dog

Big_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

@Africlan - No disrespect to the guide of course, but I'm fairly certain that's an Aardwolf too. :)

• wilddog likes this

"What, no hyaena pictures?"

#11 vishal

vishal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Thank you for all the replies!

#12 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:18 AM

@AfricIan Having had the good fortune to have seen both species and seeing either is not easy at all, that is most definitely an aardwolf a smaller, lighter more slender animal than the striped hyena, much shorter haired hyenas are pretty shaggy and more tawny in colour. As soon as I saw the photos I thought that’s an aardwolf the general size and shape and the short hair gave it away but if you’re not certain a hyena would have either an entirely black throat or dense black bands on the throat which this animal clearly doesn’t have.

You’re not the first here to have trouble telling them apart.

Striped hyena vs aardwolf

I think the fact that your guide got it wrong is just an indication of how rarely they see either of these species. Unlike for example wild dogs or even leopards where you can say go to these places and you can be almost certain of seeing them you can’t really say the same with striped hyenas the most one can say is that in Africa Ndutu in the NCA in Tanzania is one of the best places to try and look for them, it’s the only place I’ve ever seen one, I posted some photos in this similar thread.

So who has seen a striped hyena?

I’ve not been to Velavadar in India but it’s probably the only other place I know of where you have a good chance of finding one, of course there may well be other places that I’m not aware of where you might have a good chance of spotting one. If you compare the photos in the other striped hyena thread with those of the aardwolf above you can really see the difference.

Edited by inyathi, 04 March 2016 - 01:21 AM.

• armchair bushman likes this

#13 samapi

samapi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

@Africlan, for sure your pictures are of an aardwolf :)

I have a friend who had a very good spotting of a stripped hyena during the day in Samburu 2 years ago and another one in Tsavo East 3 years ago but what I can say is that this is very uncommun...

As far as I know and because I personally know 2 persons who saw them there, the most reliable place to see stripped Hyenas is Velavadar park in Inda 

#14 AfricIan

AfricIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Many thanks @armchair bushman, @Big_Dog, @inyathi & @samapi, I'm happy to retract my statement that "Only seen one once" & say that unfortunately "I've never seen one"!

Rather than hijack any more post in this thread, I'll pick up on inyathi's excellent words in the Striped hyena vs aardwolf thread.

Ian

#15 elefromoz

elefromoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Ive posted these before in the trip report, hope no-one minds if I re-post, Velavadar, Gugarat

gallery_49445_1327_645454.jpg

gallery_49445_1327_1224091.jpg

Also been lucky enough to see one adult on a night drive in Tarangire.

• madaboutcheetah, inyathi, armchair bushman and 3 others like this

#16 vishal

vishal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Great photos @elefromoz! Thank you for posting them.

#17 notpop

notpop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 04:10 PM
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

Have had one under a tree baited for leopard across the river from a lodge in Samburu.

I had set myself up with telescope, tripod and beer to await the leopard.

Was much more excited to see the striped Hyena !

Despite the beer I am pretty sure of the i.d.

A funny evening routine was the way Guineafowl would walk along the dry river bed each evening in a long single file,as they headed upriver to roost.

They obviously knew of the leoaard routine and would become very jittery and babbly as they neared the tree.

The long line would then stop,debate the matter a lot more and a lot louder,then rush past in a panic only to regain their dignity once clear of the tree as if to deny they were in the least bit afraid !

Thanks for the memory !

#18 JakeGC

JakeGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

@AfricaIan, I saw your photos and was about to say it was an Aardwolf but then saw others had beaten me to it and already done so!

We see Aardwolves more often now in Olare Motorogi and in fact a year ago one walked through our Porini Lion Camp and had a drink from the river in front in broad daylight. Our manager from Porini Mara Camp, Jimmy Sengeny, was there and took some shots which we posted on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook...152855215909563

We also see Aardwolves quite often in Ol Kinyei Conservancy and had some great viewing when a pair had a den with pups.

The place where we most often see Striped Hyena is at Selenkay Conservancy in the Amboseli eco-system. I have seen them there and our guests saw one by our camp there 3 weeks ago. 

• AfricIan likes this
Gamewatcher's Safaris, Kenya:

www.porini.com l Twitter l Facebook

Take a virtual tour of our safari camps.

#19 chrisf

chrisf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

@vishal i saw one in the very south of the NCA, Tanzania in April this year. In terms of describing where I saw it, it was closer to Serian Kekessio Camp than the Ndutu area, although i am afraid i cannot be more helpful than that. It was very relaxed until it realised we were there, and then ran off. It is the only time i have seen one so also not much help on the consistency front either! Sorry.

Serian Hyena 1.jpg

• inyathi likes this

#20 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

We saw one at Sosian Lodge in the Laikipia area of Kenya.

• pault likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.