1) Name of property and country: Mowani Mountain Camp, Damaraland, Namibia
2) Website address if known: http://www.mowani.com
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Green season, February, 2015
4) Length of stay: 2 nights
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I read fantastic reports on TA about this property, their amazing views and their desert elephant tour.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did the initial research and then contacted Discover Namibia.
7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 times
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No, we were warned to be careful
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 15 cabins and 7 campsites
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had superior view rooms with a breathtaking view over the valley.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were stunning, large, luxurious and comfortable. We enjoyed our time mainly at the communal area and the sunset viewing area enjoying the views, drinks and snacks.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was fantastic.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Excellent.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Open 4WD.
19) How many guests per row? Up to 3 in each row but normally 2.
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Game drives were varied and depended on where we wanted to visit. We went on a desert elephant tour and Twelfontein tour, which was approximately 5/6 hours.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? Drives were concentrated mainly in the early mornings but they could be all day affairs.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like? Very little activity in the area
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?
24) Are you able to off-road? yes
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. Excellent desert adapted elephant viewing.
27) How was the standard of guiding? Brilliant
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: Friendly, helpful, informative, happy and fun.
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were extremely helpful and happy during our stay but need to relax a little and enjoy the guest’s company.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Not sure.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
We loved our stay at Mowani. Like everywhere else we stayed the location, views, communal areas, pool and rooms are absolutely brilliant. My only issue was having staff that interacted with us a little more and not so formal. Our guide Max was awesome and we loved having him for our Bushman Paintings and Elephant Trekking Tours. The laughs never stopped. The elephant trekking was absolutely brilliant and definitely worth doing. Would definitely stay again. Pay for the all inclusive package which includes the best rooms with amazing views.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.