See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Grootberg Lodge, Palmweig, Namibia

Namibia safari conservancy Grootberg rhino himba elephants

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 SaminKaz

SaminKaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 05:05 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:03 AM

1) Name of property and country: Grootberg Lodge, Namibia

2) Website address if known: http://www2.grootberg.com

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Green season, February, 2015

4) Length of stay: 2 nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I read fantastic reports on TA about this property, their amazing view and their Himba tour.

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did the initial research an then contacted Discover Namibia.

7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 times

8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No, we were warned to be careful

11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 16 cabins

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had a triple room with a breathtaking view over the valley.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were comfortable and simply furnished.  We enjoyed our time mainly at the communal area enjoying the views, drinks and snacks.

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was fantastic and we left we recipes.

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Very good and sufficient.

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Open 4WD.

19) How many guests per row? Up to 3 in each row.

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Game drives were varied and depended on where we wanted to visit.  We only went on a Himba tour which was approximately 5/6 hours.

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? Drives were concentrated mainly in the early mornings but they could be all day affairs if trekking rhino or elephants.

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?  Very little activity in the area

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?

24) Are you able to off-road? yes

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. Excellent desert adapted elephants and rhino.

27) How was the standard of guiding? Excellent

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: Friendly, helpful, informative.

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were extremely helpful and happy during our stay.  They genuinely seemed happy to assist, were proactive in their duties and enjoyed the guests company.

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Yes, it is run by the conservancy and all money raised goes back to the people.

32) Safaritalk trip report link:

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:

Grootberg Lodge offers by far the best and most professional service of any of the lodges that I visited in Namibia (and I visited 15!). This is evident as soon as you enter the property. The view is to die for and makes you easily forget the "interesting" drive up to the camp. The food/service/staff/rooms are fantastic. We loved our tour to the Himba Village and would thoroughly recommend this, our guides were brilliant too! The views from the communal area were the highlight of our stay and just sitting down with a sundowner makes you question why Namibia is not busier with so many brilliant places/experiences/animals. Thank you to all the staff who assisted us during our stay.

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

Attached File  Grootberg 1.jpg   60.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Grootberg 2.jpg   111.75KB   0 downloads

Edited by SaminKaz, 02 March 2016 - 05:38 AM.

• PT123 and pault like this

#2 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

@SaminKaz

15 camps in Namibia, wow!  What specifically differentiated this camp?  Also, I see that you mentione rhino tracking - do you know if they charge extra for this?

#3 SaminKaz

SaminKaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 05:05 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

@ PT123

Activities were extra but definitely worth it.  We took advantage of the Himba Tour which was amazing and definitely worth while.  We didn't have time to do the rhino trekking but we spoke with a couple who did it and said it was fantastic.  Would stay 3 nights next time to do both activities.

Meals were inclusive in the price we paid but drinks were extra.  We generally stuck to g&ts and white/red South African wines which were good prices, especially when divided by the three of us.  This was the general rule in each of the camps in Namibia.

Staff were fantastic, the views to die for, a comfortable room/bed and a wonderful place to enjoy nature and culture.  

• PT123 likes this

#4 buddy4344

buddy4344

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

"We loved our tour to the Himba Village and would thoroughly recommend this, our guides were brilliant too!"

I just read that the Himba from that village are being evicted effective Sept. 20, 2016.  That's a real shame.  I had planned on staying there and also visiting the Himba in Oct. 2016, but now plan to find another option for visiting the Himba.

• pault likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Namibia, safari, conservancy, Grootberg, rhino, himba, elephants

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.