1) Name of property and country: Grootberg Lodge, Namibia
2) Website address if known: http://www2.grootberg.com
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Green season, February, 2015
4) Length of stay: 2 nights
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I read fantastic reports on TA about this property, their amazing view and their Himba tour.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did the initial research an then contacted Discover Namibia.
7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 times
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No, we were warned to be careful
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 16 cabins
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had a triple room with a breathtaking view over the valley.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were comfortable and simply furnished. We enjoyed our time mainly at the communal area enjoying the views, drinks and snacks.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was fantastic and we left we recipes.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Very good and sufficient.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Open 4WD.
19) How many guests per row? Up to 3 in each row.
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Game drives were varied and depended on where we wanted to visit. We only went on a Himba tour which was approximately 5/6 hours.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? Drives were concentrated mainly in the early mornings but they could be all day affairs if trekking rhino or elephants.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like? Very little activity in the area
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?
24) Are you able to off-road? yes
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings. Excellent desert adapted elephants and rhino.
27) How was the standard of guiding? Excellent
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: Friendly, helpful, informative.
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were extremely helpful and happy during our stay. They genuinely seemed happy to assist, were proactive in their duties and enjoyed the guests company.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Yes, it is run by the conservancy and all money raised goes back to the people.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Grootberg Lodge offers by far the best and most professional service of any of the lodges that I visited in Namibia (and I visited 15!). This is evident as soon as you enter the property. The view is to die for and makes you easily forget the "interesting" drive up to the camp. The food/service/staff/rooms are fantastic. We loved our tour to the Himba Village and would thoroughly recommend this, our guides were brilliant too! The views from the communal area were the highlight of our stay and just sitting down with a sundowner makes you question why Namibia is not busier with so many brilliant places/experiences/animals. Thank you to all the staff who assisted us during our stay.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.
Grootberg 1.jpg 60.83KB 0 downloads
Grootberg 2.jpg 111.75KB 0 downloads
Edited by SaminKaz, 02 March 2016 - 05:38 AM.