1) Name of property and country: (Please also include name of property and country as topic title and include as tags as well)
Sarara Camp in Namunyak Wildife Conservacy in the Mathews Range.
2) Website address if known:
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known).
February in Shoulder Season.
4) Length of stay:
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what?
I chose the camp based upon the extraordinary reviews it received.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently?
I booked through Rose Muya a Kenyan travel agent who owns Timeless Tours and Travels based in Lavington.
7) How many times have you been on Safari?
This was my 9th safari.
8) To which countries?
Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. I am also looking froward to going to Ethiopia, the Congo [DRC].
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to?
Saruni Samburu Camp. However, the two are very different.
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced?
11) How many rooms/tents does it have?
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private?
I dont remember the room number. It had a great view and very private.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent?
The room had a comfortable bed.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why.
The food was excellent.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?)
No there was no varied menu.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes?
It was communal however, people who wanted to dine alone were welcomed to do so.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives?
I don't know because I never had lunch out.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible.
I don't recall.
19) How many guests per row?
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken?
As long as one wanted. The routes were also varied.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?
The standard game drive times were four hours. The times were also totally flexible.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?
The camp is in a huge private conservancy. I never saw another vehicle.
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?
24) Are you able to off-road?
I don't recall.
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting.
Not at all.
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings?
Elephants, giraffes and kudu. I did get great sightings.
27) How was the standard of guiding?
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue?
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:
My guide was a considerate and very excellent who taught me about the Samburu culture and the challenges facing them. I enjoyed visiting the Samburu village as well as the singing wells.
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs?
The staff was excellent in all ways.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known.
Yes it supports the local community.
32) Safaritalk trip report link: