bettel

Nikon D500

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Atdahl , i am a new user of the D500 since last summer, when i took it to my Congo trip.

I still would like to take it to a more regular safari but my first impressions are good and i like the camera and the results.

Most of the trip involved walking so it was nice that the camera did not felt heavy and bulky !!

I found battery life to be good , more than plenty for a 600 to 800 day shooting !!

The touch screen is very nice and handy to review the shoots and check focus with the fast zooming!!

I found the autofocus very good even in difficult light but i still would like to try it with a faster lens ( i mostly use the camera with the Nikon 200-500 and with very dim light it started to hunt a bit, but remember the f/5,6 )!!

I am happy with the sensor quality results overall and at 3200 ISO and lower quality is great. At 6400 to 12600 it is very well usable but i would try to stay below 6400 when possible!!

Strait out of the camera with minor crop at ISO 12.800!

post-6771-0-45123800-1478024849_thumb.jpg

Same shot with basic editing in Lightroom!

post-6771-0-66038200-1478024809_thumb.jpg

Speed is great and i was able to shoot 9 fps many times , but never 10 fps ( i suppose you need ideal conditions for this ).

I very much appreciate having this fast speed,it is incredible but sometimes you will miss the shot if you don´t have this speed!!

Here is a 9 shots burst in one second!!

ISO 1600 , 260 mm , f/5´6 at 1/160 sec

post-6771-0-35073900-1478024876_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-02207600-1478024890_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-14932900-1478024903_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-29225900-1478024911_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-54818900-1478024921_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-23970700-1478024931_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-61510500-1478024940_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-99444700-1478024949_thumb.jpg

post-6771-0-55936400-1478024960_thumb.jpg

In a previous burst one second before i took 5 shots of the mother gorilla with the baby coming down the tree , then 9 shots in this burst i show here, but out was not until shot number seven of the second burst that the baby and the mother´s eyes began to shine , so the first 12 shots don't say much!!

It is fanny, i kept pressing the shutter and o got 5 more shots ( 19 pictures of the same scene in 3 seconds ) and the baby´s eyes did not shine any more , but the mother´s face is better in this next shots so i think that at the end,in spite of the great speed of the camera, i still missed the perfect moment!!!

2 shots later the face of the mother is perfectly in focus and the look more powerful, but the baby is missing!!

post-6771-0-28101600-1478025537_thumb.jpg

I Did not have any issues with the XQD card ??

I hope it helps !

Paco

P.D. For some reason all the pictures loose quality when i upload them , the look much more crispy in my desktop , but i hope you understand my point with the examples??

Edited by africawild
1 person likes this

@@Atdahl...another new user of the D500. The photos thus far are great, but have not yet been any place exotic.

Glad to hear that everyone is really liking the D500. I appreciate the responses.

@@janzin, I am like you and like to use the pop-up flash for fill shots. I think I would really miss that. That omission, plus the new XQD card format are the two main reasons I have held off. I am glad to hear the you like the new card though. I already have to juggle CF and SD cards and didn't want to deal with a 3rd format. But, at some point I will have to bite the bullet since CF and SD technology is pretty much maxed out. So, I just might go for it :) .

@@africawild, wow that must have been a thrill. Thanks for including the photos, that helps.

One final question for all. How loud is the shutter? The D300 shutter is really loud and one of the reasons I use the D7100 and it's inferior FPS is because it is much quieter.

Thanks

Alan

I shot next to a guy with a D500 the other day. Shutter is incredibly quiet!

Glad to hear that everyone is really liking the D500. I appreciate the responses.

@@janzin, I am like you and like to use the pop-up flash for fill shots. I think I would really miss that. That omission, plus the new XQD card format are the two main reasons I have held off. I am glad to hear the you like the new card though. I already have to juggle CF and SD cards and didn't want to deal with a 3rd format. But, at some point I will have to bite the bullet since CF and SD technology is pretty much maxed out. So, I just might go for it :) .

@@africawild, wow that must have been a thrill. Thanks for including the photos, that helps.

One final question for all. How loud is the shutter? The D300 shutter is really loud and one of the reasons I use the D7100 and it's inferior FPS is because it is much quieter.

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

I just run a small test with my phone APP "Decibel 10th" , not the most scientific test but just for fun!!

Same lens and same distance to the phone!!

My old NikonD300 peak at 70 decibel in 5 fps mode

My son´s NikonD7000 peak at 67 decibel at 5fps mode

My new D500 peak at 66 decibel at 5 fps also mode

You can easily tell, without the need of the APP, that the D300 is louder.

Paco

Thanks Peter, I did shoot near a guy in Brazil with one and it did seem quiet. I should have paid more attention.

Paco, that's great information. Thanks for going to the trouble to test the different camera shutters.

Alan

I have one (D500) that I plan on using for an upcoming Namibia trip. So far I am impressed by the fps and build quality but slightly underwhelmed by the IQ. I think I am used to the bigger full frame sensor of my D750...I think we are still in a getting to know you stage.

I've decided to give it a year and then make a decision if we have a future together. Despite my current reservations I have a sneaking suspicion we will remain married :-)

Would like to see Nikon add a 9 point focus option via firmware update if possible as per D5.

Also, meant to add re SD/XQD slots...

The buffer is great even with SD. Take your finger off for a fraction of a sec and you are back at full capacity.

I picked up a 128gb Sony for very cheap which I leave in the camera all the time as semi-perm backup and just rotate smaller SD cards in and out for actual use. Works well for me....

@@Robjwilli, thanks that good information. I like how you use your cards, it's pretty much what I would do too.

I finally got myself a D500 togheter with a sigma 150-600s. I absolutely love that camera, so much that i think i`m selling off my d4s and getting a second D500. It`s almost two cameras for the weight of one when it comes to air-travel. It is a really good piece of equipment.

2 people like this

If you prefer DX than full frame, then the D500 is the best camera on the market from Nikon. It is far from my D4S (and D5), but be sure it is a remarkable camera with high performance.

Chilean photographs friends of mine, combine there D500 with TC2x with 70-200 mm NIKOR f/2,8. It works very well.

You can use it with all the other lenses F/4 500 mm, 80.400 mm VR II etc...

i can only compare to the d4s, D5 is well out of reach. Of course the d4s has an advantage on high iso, and full frame will always have that advantage, but as far as dx goes, the D500 is really good, i have no problem using 6400, have shots up to iso10000 that i have no problem using. AF-wise, in my opinion the d500 outperform the d4s. 1 fps less in the d500, but for me at least that 1 frame is no dealbreaker. And the shuttersound is much quieter, very very big deal for me, the d4s is loud, no doubt. D4s will take a bit more rough handling, and batterylife is better.. I have already bought extra batteries, and will get a few more, so not really an issue. I love my d500, and can`t wait to use it in Africa!

1 person likes this

I had 2 d800s, traded one in for the d500. I find the d500 pretty handy. I also just use SD and have never pushed so far as to have it slow down, 20-25 maybe more near non stop shots.

No, it's full frame image isn't as good as a full frame off my d800, but in general most I shoot in the US is at a distance that would require a 50% crop on the d800, and if that happens, then the d500 is just as good or a hair better.