bettel

Nikon D500

38 posts in this topic

I am thinking to change my camera (D7000). Overall I like it, the only thing that drives me nuts is the size of buffer. Normally buffer space ends right when you really really want to continue shooting :). I am not that savvy in photography so I need your advise. Do you think D500 is worth the price asked (it is pretty expensive)? Are there other improvements comparing to D7000 which I will notice (on my amateur level) other than buffer size?

1 person likes this

It will be a big difference. Buffer size, frames/s, AF, iso-sensitivity, wifi etc. You will notice. I have had a Nikon D7000 and found it useless as a wildlife camera (mostly because the small buffer). Nikon D500 will be fantastic and a real sibling to D5. (Just as D300 was to D3).

1 person likes this

I'm also considering the D500, but as a second body (Very happy with my D750). Something which really starts to annoying me is the fact of changing lenses (loss of time and dust issues).

I see the advantages also on the 153 AF Points, 10 fps, buffer size and last but not least for me in the APS-C Sensor. I think that's exactly what I need especially for action photographs and for birds. Considering to use my 80-400mm on that one which will offering me an 120-600mm equivalent and a new 300mm Prime for my D750.

My Dad has still the D300s, for which he waited until now to be updated and finally the D500 comes through...

I think you will be very happy for a long time with a D500...

In my opinion I think the D500 will be a real game changer for the DX sensor format as the D750 was for FX.

Cheers

D500 will be a huge step up from the D7000.

But I would wait until it is out for a few months, and then go and test one myself.

While D500 is a pro DX body, also D7200 has improved very much in the fps and buffer departments, and once D500 will hit the shelves, there will be time also for D7300 ...

Personally, I would go with D7200. Already available, proven, and if a pro type body is not needed, an excellent DX body. And its layout is the same as the one of D7000.

@@Gregor, @@Grasshopper_Club,

Thank you! You comments are very useful!

But I would wait until it is out for a few months, and then go and test one myself.

That it what I am going to do. My next safari is in September so I have little bit of time :)

While D500 is a pro DX body, also D7200 has improved very much in the fps and buffer departments, and once D500 will hit the shelves, there will be time also for D7300 ...

I am checking here https://photographylife.com/nikon-dslr-buffer-capacity-comparison, it seems the difference between D7000 and D7200 (for lossless 14 bit) is only 8, which roughly adds only 1 sec of shooting :(

@@bettel

You are right. However I am using 12-bit lossless where the difference is 16 photos i.e. 2 sec. As a hobbyist 12-bit is as good as I need. And being a happy user of D7100, you can see from where I am coming :) .

1 person likes this

The technical data of the D500 looks very promising.

The performance of the D500 (DX) is not far away from the D5 (FX), which cost about three times more.

I hope, Nikon will not make the D500 "too cheap" and has reduced performance to meet a lower price target.

I hope, Nikon will spend as much computation performance for the AF module and memory buffer size as for the D5.

The D500 has a SD and a XQD slot, but no CF slot.

This is a disadvantage for me, because I need different types of cards for different cameras.

I will try to avoid the XQD cards, because of high price.

However, I am looking forward to have a D500 in the near future.

You are right. However I am using 12-bit lossless where the difference is 16 photos i.e. 2 sec. As a hobbyist 12-bit is as good as I need. And being a happy user of D7100, you can see from where I am coming :) .

Well, the average cheetah hunt is around 10-20 seconds. I am still dreaming to photograph the chase properly :). It is my plan for the next 5 years :)

However, I am looking forward to have a D500 in the near future.

I am looking forward to seeing actual live data reviews on this camera. Hopefully by end of May, it will be well in use by professional reviewers so that we can have more data :)

@@bettel

Then just switch to JPEG!!

Lol, taking into account how often I miss WB or overall exposure and how often I forgot to switch back to my preferred settings. It will be dangerous :)

1 person likes this

I will try to avoid the XQD cards, because of high price.

You do realize that because the XQD is by far the fastest you will be compromising your buffer capacity by not using this card?

I am also very interested in the D500. After the D300S I have been waiting for the release of a Nikon professional DX camera for wildlife photography which will give me more reach and probably better quality images than adding a teleconverter on a full frame.

I've got the D500 on pre-order and I can't wait! I've been waiting for this camera for a long time. To me, there was no question and I pre-ordered the day it was announced. The same AF engine as the D5?? 153 AF points?? 10 fps? That's all I needed to hear. Plus of course the extra reach in terms of MP over my D810 even in cropped (DX) mode. I only wish it had been available for my recent trip (just returned from India) but I will definitely have it in time for Kenya in the fall.

The only things missing, in terms of my hopes for this camera, was built-in GPS and I would have liked 24 MP, but oh well.

I will report back when I get some time with it (supposed to be released end of April--in time for spring migration here!)

1 person likes this

Well I've had my D500 for almost a week now; unfortunately for almost all of that time its been raining here! So I have not gotten out to use it much. However I did manage a couple of mornings in the park and so far I'm very, very impressed! I'm especially impressed with the high ISO performance, I can easily shoot up to 3200 without any qualms (and of course much higher with noise reduction.) I have not had any opportunity to test the AF on fast-moving subjects such as birds in flight but I can say the AF works great in even very dim light, it will lock focus in close to total darkness! And it seems to have the uncanny ability to focus correctly on a small bird or critter behind grasses or branches; it must be due to the high density of AF points (155.)

Another thing I really like, which I didn't expect to, is the touch-screen. It makes reviewing images (zooming and scanning) super fast. Of course 10 FPS will be very useful for wildlife, far surpassing my D810.

I'm actually considering buying a 2nd one for safari; instead of using it in conjunction with my D810. We'll see :rolleyes:

I am dying to get out for some bird photography; it looks like we may have some clearing here by the weekend.

Meantime here's a chipmunk at ISO 3200, no extra noise reduction, NR set in camera to Low.

JZ5_0302b.jpg

11 people like this

@@janzin, you're kiling me! Just when I thought I was happy with the 7100 (Well except for the buffer)... I just dropped $1400 on the 200-500 lens and now this...

2 people like this

Well you will love the 200-500 too. Certainly some of the improved sharpness (over my old combo) is due to this great lens. But that lens + the D500 is just perfect for wildlife! I'm getting so many more keepers with this combo than I did with my D810 (not that that isn't a great camera, but better suited to landscape than action.) And now we finally have some sun :D

Chestnut-sided Warbler, ISO 2000

JZ5_1130a.jpg

6 people like this

Beautiful shot Janet. I'm happy you like your new gear. The photos sure look nice. I am off to Yellowstone soon to test the 200-500 a bit more. I bet the D500 will be in the back of my mind the whole time... :) .

Alan

2 people like this

Nice photo @@janzin

i see there is a high-ISO comparison between the D810 and D500 on Photographylife, and to be honest the D500 looks slightly better to my eyes.

Apparently the D500 is now within one stop of what is theoretically possible on DX, although I have no idea how that is calculated, but if true then this is about as good as it's going to get.

I actually almost wish I had waited another 9 months!

3 people like this

I am saving up for a D500 and a Sigma 150-600 sport maybe it will be a Nikon 200-500 instead but the Sigma has got excellent reviews.
I am selling my house and land next to a golf course in southern Tanzania so I can afford this (o:

@@janzin

Great example of what new pro DX body is capable of .. in the hands of an experience photographer! I am sure there will be many more amazing photos on this website, posted by you!

@@Tomas

After 3 weeks shooting with 200-500 on D7100 and D7200, I can say it is an excellent lens, but just at the limit of being a walk around lens, for me anyway.

Hand holdable yes, mostly due to its excellent VR system. Coupled with D500 it makes for the ultimate affordable wildlife combo.

2 people like this

I hope the D500 is finding its way into my kit also before my Namibiatrip in november. i know pepole that bought this as a extra camera for the D4s, and ended up using the D500 more...

Well, I am still giving the D500 some serious thoughts.

So, all you D500 users. Any new thoughts or opinions on your camera? Also, what do you think of the new XQD card now that you have used it in a while. Any issues backing up images or transferring them from this new card (since it seems like accessories with that slot aren't readily available)?

Thanks

Alan

1 person likes this

@@Atdahl I absolutely love the D500. In fact I am considering buying a 2nd one for the next time I go to Africa, so that I can have two of the same bodies. I have had zero problems of any type with the camera. I even have geotagging working with Snapbridge, which is awesome (the rest of Snapbridge is awful, but I really only care about the geotagging feature.) It worked even in Kenya, for most shots.

The only thing I miss on the camera vs my other nikons (D800/D810, D300s) is the pop up flash. Believe it or not I often used it for some quick fill, and I've found myself going for it and then realizing its not there. I may buy one of the small, cheaper flashes for carrying around (when not needing the big SB900.)

I originally thought the XQD card would be a pain, but its actually not an issue (except that I want to buy more of them, and they are a bit pricey!) But I've had no problems; I purchased the Sony card which comes with a reader included, and I now have two of them, so two readers as well. So its not a problem, the card reader is very small. I like the card better than the SD card, which always seems so small and fragile and easy to lose; the XQD card seems quite robust, a bit thicker than the CF cards. I actually wish they'd put two XQD card slots, instead of one SD card (although I guess its is handy to have the SD slot in case of emergency, it is much easier of course to find an SD card somewhere.)

Go for it, you won't be sorry!