1) Name of property and country: Okakeujo Camp NWR, Etosha, Namibia
2) Website address if known: http://www.nwr.com.n...kaukuejo-resort
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Green season, February, 2015
4) Length of stay: 2 nights (would recommend a minimum of 4 nights next time)
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? Great reviews about their waterhole and inside Etosha NP.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? Through Discover Namibia.
7) How many times have you been on Safari? 4 times
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? Maybe Onguma Bush Camp
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? Yes, but we were still warned to be careful
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 102
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? We had a waterhole chalet which didn’t have a great view but was about 20m from the waterhole. This enabled us to use our own toilets, go back for refreshments etc when necessary. I would have stayed in a Premier waterhole chalet if they were available because they fit 3 and we had to rent 2 waterhole chalets to accomodate us.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? The rooms were comfortable, bed with a mosquito net, air con, fridge, bathroom. All was clean but a little run down. It was fantastic having a fridge in the room.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was simple but ok for breakfast. We brought a lot of snack food and drinks from outside the camp to sustain us whilst at the waterhole because we heard about the quality of the food. We also wanted to stay at the waterhole without leaving.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Yes there were different things on offer.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? N/A
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. We used our own car.
19) How many guests per row?
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Game drives were varied and depended on where we wanted to visit.
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? We stayed out between 3/4 hours in the morning and rested in the afternoon. We spent the afternoons/evenings around the waterhole.
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? Density was low due to the Green Season and the waterhole had a maximum of 100 people during the evenings.
24) Are you able to off-road? No
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings? Waterhole sightings. Excellent rhinos, plains game, elephants, giraffes and lions.
27) How was the standard of guiding? N/A
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: N/A
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? The staff were not very attentive but when asked they were helpful and happy during our stay. We didn’t use them very much because we looked after ourselves.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Not sure.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Close your eyes to the problems in camp with food, rooms and staff and enjoy the fact that you can sit and watch animals 24 hours a day in a chair that is less than 20m from them. Bring in your own food and drinks to sustain yourself. The sightings at the waterhole are unbelievable and definitely worth staying at this camp. I will definitely go back during the green season.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.