1) Name of property and country: Onguma Bush Camp, Etosha, Namibia
2) Website address if known: http://www.onguma.co...-bush-camp.html
3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). Green season, February, 2015.
4) Length of stay: 3 nights
5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I chose this camp because of the private reserve it was on, great facilities, good price and close to Etosha. It offered my parents a good place to rest and relax if they didn't join me on safari drives.
6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? I did my own research and then used an agent to book the entire trip. Discover Namibia
7) How many times have you been on Safari? This was my fourth trip.
8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Namibia.
9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None
10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? Yes
11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 16 rooms
12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? The view was over the pool area and beyond that was the waterhole and private reserve.
13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? Excellent, air con, clean, large bathroom.
14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. The food was great.
15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) There was multiple choices on offer daily, vegetarians were catered for.
16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? Single tables, no hosting.
17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Did not take advantage of this.
18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. Did not use.
19) How many guests per row? N/A
20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? N/A
21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you? N/A
22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like? Yes, there is a private concession but I did not visit it.
23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? Due to the green season there was very little cars around. Waterholes had at most 3 or 4 cars at any one time but on average it was maybe 2.
24) Are you able to off-road? Yes
25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. There was no need.
26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings? On the private concession we saw plains game but no predators. In Etosha NP we saw everything.
27) How was the standard of guiding? N/A
28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? N/A
29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: Yes, me I was the guide. No monetary tips from my clients (parents).
30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? Yes, they were great.
31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Not sure.
32) Safaritalk trip report link:
33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:
Onguma Bush Camp is a brilliant property offering safari goers a lovely, well maintained property with excellent large rooms with air con, relaxing pool area, large and comfortable communal area with a nice waterhole to watch the animals and great food. The staff were very service orientated which was great. My only problem is that the property is not in Etosha which was my priority and meant a 30 minute drive into the NP to get to the waterholes. Apart from this Onguma is a fantastic place to be based for anyone visiting Etosha.
34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.