Ruaha in the Green- Now My Favorite Season

Livetowander

@@xelas I agree that the quality would definitely improve with a DSLR. Handing the camera to your wife? LOL.

@@Marks Thanks, yes I did find a few more shots. I did not plan to post that many because the few I have are mostly of birds and little creatures. I should have known that the attention span of Safaritalkers would be exponentially greater than that of friends and family!

gallery_45319_1472_276207.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_464973.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_75214.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_308083.jpg

We thought this bird might be a shikra. Any other ideas?

Final batch:

gallery_45319_1472_91551.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_5062.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_88676.jpg

gallery_45319_1472_70941.jpg

I thought the patterns in this small family of zebras was interesting. We called them 'Giraffe Zebras'.

gallery_45319_1472_442256.jpg

The aftermath of an encounter with a porcupine a few years ago when she ended up with a face full of quills. No telling how the porcupine fared.

Someone should put a patch over that eye :) ! any volunteers out there :D ??

Some really great photos you have posted. Interesting to see Ruaha in the green season, having recently been there last September.

Message to all viewing this

- all the photos on this post appear to have a distorted aspect - ie 'squashed-up' perspective . Is this a problem with my IPAD or do others see the images the same.? I dont have this problem viewing photos on any other posts on the forum.

Edited by Julian

I don´t really mean what you mean by squashed up perspective. Some photos is ok (reasonable sharp, in focus etc.) like the leopard shot and squirrel shot above. Most picture have technical errors, probably a mixture of to much cropping, to much noise reduction, camera shake, to short shutter time/animal movement, and also a bit strange color temperatures. From a technical point of view there is much to improve. But nonetheless it is great to see the photos.

@@Julian and @@Gregor thanks for pointing that out. I don't see the distortion you describe, but I'll try looking at them with a different monitor and see if that makes a difference.

I don´t really mean what you mean by squashed up perspective. Some photos is ok (reasonable sharp, in focus etc.) like the leopard shot and squirrel shot above. Most picture have technical errors, probably a mixture of to much cropping, to much noise reduction, camera shake, to short shutter time/animal movement, and also a bit strange color temperatures. From a technical point of view there is much to improve. But nonetheless it is great to see the photos.

z

Not technical errors- the photos are all really great, beautiful colour saturation, sharp, etc- its the displayed aspect- like on a TV screen if you try to display a full 16:9 widescreen film in 4:3 aspect.

Wheras the photos in all other posts appear with the horizontal to vertical ratio about 3 to 2, these photos all appear square - ie vertical and horizontal are the same length - so the images are very distorted.

They appear like this on the old IPAD i'm using and also on a very recent IPAD model as well.

However they look perfectly normal on my Desktop PC, so it must be something to do with the browser that IPADs use, but why it only appears like this on this particular post is strange.

Edited by Julian

I am viewing on a laptop and they display perfectly well - not distorted.

@@Livetowander

I have enjoyed your photos very much

@@Julian and @@Gregor thanks for pointing that out. I don't see the distortion you describe, but I'll try looking at them with a different monitor and see if that makes a difference.[/quote

Livetowander

Your photos are all really excellent, great shots, technically really good, great colours.

As you can see from my post just above this one - nothing wrong with the photos - just something to do with displaying them on an IPAD.

@@TonyQ thanks for the confirmation.

@@Julian thanks again for the clarification of the problem.

I notice some displays on Safaritalk can look different depending on which browser I'm using. I'm still learning how to post here so I appreciate comments that can help me improve the appearance and flow of my posts.

• 4 weeks later...

You hade a great trip! Leopoard is not to hard to see but the wilddogs!! I am like you really intrested in the small criters, not only the big. Next week I am going back again to Ruaha but only for a short while.

Nice photos, the monitor lizard is the savanna monitor a nice find and nice pictures.

It has been dry for three weeks now but the februari rain was mutch bigger then normal (El Ninjo)

I love clients that are intrested in not only the big animals. Thanks for showing us al the pics.

@@Livetowander Thank-you for this report and the lovely images. I would not be too critical of the technical aspects at all and like the composition. I would second the advice of @@xelas not to delete photos in the field- both because many can be much better after viewing on a PC and appropriate editing but also because editing in the field reduces game viewing time :)

Livetowander

Thanks @@Tomas, I would love to see your pics of the smaller critters as well if you have any.

@@pomkiwi you make a good point. I should clarify that by 'field' I meant I edit my pictures when I get back to the tent (rather than waiting till I get home). I try to remain observant while out and about.

Even my 'keepers' aren't as good as I remember them being while shooting. Sometimes I've saved a few questionable shots, but a review when I get home usually confirms they should have been deleted.

Something I read a long time ago had a pretty significant influence on how I see my pictures:

“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams

@@Livetowander

That quote might be just right ... for photographers of the Ansel Adams calibre. For us, or for me anyway, the idea of getting a "significant photo" of that quality is unimaginable. Thus my "good crop" consists of about 5000+ photos per travel :D .

@@Livetowander

"Something I read a long time ago had a pretty significant influence on how I see my pictures:

“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams "

There's nothing like setting your standards high :)

I probably get rid of about 10% of my photos on first quick review - technical issues or moving animal and I not in harmony etc. I do find that quite a few other pictures that I might initially reject I look at in a different light with some post-processing.

• 2 weeks later...

z photos all appear square - ie vertical and horizontal are the same length - so the images are very distorted.

They appear like this on the old IPAD i'm using and also on a very recent IPAD model as well.

However they look perfectly normal on my Desktop PC, so it must be something to do with the browser that IPADs use, but why it only appears like this on this particular post is strange.

I have wondered about photo appearances across many different compact devices. I only look at ST on a big desktop so photos usually look good.

Anyway, I am glad we talked you into posting some more photos. Those lion cubs are adorable. Everything was very vibrant and alive in Feb!

You lucked out with your green season trip. I came back mid-March and ran into 2 sets of people who had to have their Ruaha plans changed last minute due to heavy rains making it impossible to get to their camps.

Edited by Atravelynn

Livetowander

Yes @@Atravelynn, I was very lucky. At least two of the other camps nearby were flooded and had to be evacuated.