See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Kleins Camp, Northern Serengeti, Tanzania

safari serengeti Tanzania lions Mara River

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 SaminKaz

SaminKaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

1) Name of property and country: Kleins Camp, Northern Serengeti, Tanzania

2) Website address if known:  http://www.andbeyond.com/kleins-camp

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known).  January, 2014 (Green/should season)

4) Length of stay: 3 nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what?  I met someone on a previous trip who was extremely impressed with Kleins Camp and said I should visit.

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently?  I used Jacqui McNaughton from andBeyond

7) How many times have you been on Safari? This was my second trip.

8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None, it was unique

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? No

11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 9 cottages

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private?  Amazing views over the valley due to being situation high on the hillside.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent?  Excellent, comfortable, luxurious with a large bathroom (no tub).

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why.  Excellent food, brilliant soups and variety.

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) Always two options on offer for all meals.  Three courses for lunch and dinner.

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes?  Single tables and the managers do host for solo travellers.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives?  Fantastic bbq breakfasts/lunches in the bush with great salads. 

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible.  Open vehicles with car fridge, charging stations

19) How many guests per row? 2

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Game drives were concentrated in the private concession and then a day in the Serengeti NP. 

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?  Drives were between 4-12 hours depending on where we went.

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?  I was alone during all of my drives including when in the Serengeti NP.

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?  Alone

24) Are you able to off-road? On the concession but not in the park.

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. N/A

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings? Excellent lions, elephants, giraffes, just missed the wild dogs. 

27) How was the standard of guiding?  Fantastic, informative, friendly, happy.  The tracker was brilliant, the best I have every had. 

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue?

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:  The tracker found rhino and lions from incredible distances.

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs?  Absolutely brilliant, helpful, proactive and friendly.

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known.  Yes, they have local community initiatives.

32) Safaritalk trip report link:

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:

Absolutely brilliant! The staff, location, rooms, food/drink and of course the amazing animals make this place a must for anyone wanting to go on safari. I had some of the best lion, giraffe and elephant sightings of my life there and had a trip to a non-touristy Masai village that was brilliant. The proximity to the Serengeti National Park enables guests to visit The Mara River and the park if they don't want to stay in Kleins' Private Concession. I can't wait to go back to this very special place! Thank you to everyone at Kleins for such an amazing time.

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:54 AM

Did you find the concession productive in terms of the game viewing? both general game and predators?  Not sure if my geography is correct, but, I get the feeling their location is right across from the Mara too?

• SaminKaz likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 AndyH1000

AndyH1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Great to here this place delivered for you. Encouraging to here you had good lion sightings, given by my calculations it's in or near the Loliondo concession.

• SaminKaz likes this

#4 SaminKaz

SaminKaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

Here is what I saw in the concession and the Lion Pride 21 was on the way to the Mara River which was a full days drive from the camp.  The Mara was about 2-3 hours drive from camp depending on sightings etc.

If I remember correctly I flew into the Lobo Airstrip and drove north to the camp from there.

• madaboutcheetah, PT123 and AndyH1000 like this

#5 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

Thank you
  • SaminKaz likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#6 AndyH1000

AndyH1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Love the cubs and the lions walking through the dream. Great sightings!

• SaminKaz likes this

#7 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

I stayed in Klein's Camp nine years ago. I enjoyed it in every way. The views from the camp were superb. I particularly enjoyed the fact that Klein's is in it's own concession,and I didn't see any vehicles from any other camps. I can remember seeing all 5 species of vultures which are found in the Serengeti feasting on a dead wildebeest;it was something which I will never forget.

• PT123 and SaminKaz like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safari, serengeti, Tanzania, lions, Mara River

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.