See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Hwange Interview with Mark Butcher - Imvelo Safari Lodges

Hwange Zimbabwe Elephants drought poaching

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Tomas

Tomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

@Mention

Yeah it is hard for me to say of course but would it really be that bad. I mean Tanzania has been hunting for a long time and that does not affect the safari tourism. If the only means to manage the elephant population is a culling of a major part of the elephants or lose the park to soil erosion!?

This and next year they have actually banned all hunting in Tanzania except the tourism hunting due to mismanagement for a long time.

But of course here in Tanzania space has not been to big factor the elephants could wander between parks and other protected areas. But during the first years of 2000 we actually had a little too many elephants in some areas that started to take a toll on the landscape, sadly that is not a problem at all anymore due to poaching it is a dramatic loss of elephants. I started my first years in Selou GR as a young bloke could wander around freely and also go on antipoaching with the rangers something I wouldn’t do today a little bit depending on my age I am a little wiser and more a mortal than then, but also because it is so much more dangerous now! It was paradise for me not so easy now and I am also actually afraid to go back and see the southern and middle parts of Selou, I like to remember them as they were before the big onslaught of poaching.

What did Ron Think?

Edited by Tomas, 21 March 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#22 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,429 posts
  • Local time: 05:26 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

@Tomas Our meeting with Ron was most informal, not an interview - so I can't quote him, but as I recall he was very much in favour of a large scale cull. I don't want to hijack @Soukous's topic too much, but here is a letter from him to the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#23 Tomas

Tomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

@Tomas Our meeting with Ron was most informal, not an interview - so I can't quote him, but as I recall he was very much in favour of a large scale cull. I don't want to hijack @Soukous's topic too much, but here is a letter from him to the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service.

That was a long letter that could have been shorter for more impact. I do agree with what he is writing. I like this sentence the most: 

"The sustainable and ethical hunting of Africa’s trophy animals is the BEST way to ‘take wealth from the rich people of the First World’ and ‘give it to the poor people of Africa’. Nothing else matches it." 

unfortunately we have corruption that, I am sorry to say take a big chunk out of that money!

But culling the elephants is a must it will be interesting to see what is done in Hwenge

When it comes to my experience here in Tanzania regarding poaching it is that the elephant has been hit hard, extremely hard and elephant population are threatened. We have almost no big tuskers left and leave reproduction to younger males that are not up for the job or have the experience, this disrupts the social life of the elephants. As a guide I do not see as many friendly elephants as I did 2004-2006 now they do sometimes run of in fear or charge you. I am more careful with elephants now and it is harder to predict what they are going to do.

Thanks for the letter it was really interesting to read, the knowledge that man has and the experience is hard to beat.

Edited by Tomas, 21 March 2016 - 09:07 PM.

• Bugs likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hwange, Zimbabwe, Elephants, drought, poaching

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.