The Offbeat circuit safari in Kenya, January 2016

mapumbo

@@deano You are correct. The brass band, bread commercial, and connection to dry stone walls was totally lost on me, but I got a good chuckle trying to sort it all out.

Thursday's Child

@@mapumbo I've really enjoyed this trip report and Mama Ndege's photos. It was so interesting to see what it was like 'round the corner' from where @@TonyQ and I were. I also really enjoyed meeting you both and wish you many more safaris (with trip reports of course!)

Very nice itinerary. Thanks for posting it. And it seems you got a private safari the majority of the time without the private safari premium! How did you end up with Expert Africa?

After reading numerous reports on Safaritalk, I took note of who different people were using for their trip organizer. I sent a rough itinerary to 4 different companies that were referenced (one in the US, one in Kenya, and two in Britain). Ellie at Expert Africa was the most prompt in reply and attempted to make what we were interested in and what we wanted our budget to be to fit an itinerary we could live with. Also, their website is quite detailed on description of locations and accommodations, as Africa Travel Resources is as well.

Thanks, good reasons!

To #100. Your cattle background gives you an added dimension to appreciate the conservancies. I bet your experience made you popular since cattle are so important to the culture. You all could really talk cows! And know what you are talking about. And you came out of it with the experience of being a camel cowboy too.

Your people shots are really lovely. Way to go with the dogs! Exciting encounter.

Edited by Atravelynn

@gamewarden Thank you for directing me to the Hovis ad. The link on your reply was not available but I went to youtube and did a search and now can more fully understand how brass bands, stone fences and bread all have a common connection to the Brits. Now every time I go out our drive by our stone fences I'm going to want to eat a sandwich.

@@Thursday's Child Thank you and same to you on happy travels to you and TonyQ where ever you may venture.

@@Game Warden - many thanks. That actually brought a tear to my eye....mainly laughing while wondering what the heck @@mapumbo made of it!

@@mapumbo - If I wasn't in Africa then a sandwich in the Yorkshire Dales would be the next best thing unless of course I was reading trip reports on Safaritalk with a double Jamesons.

kind regards

deano.

@@Marks. Thank you. I don't know if it is common for a secretary bird to roost in a tree, but it certainly looked out of place.

It's where they like to spend the night. Can make for some comical shots as well as interesting silhouettes.

Leopard and cub--great find! Nice lions in the trees too. But that naked mole rate, especially the way you caught it. You've launched yourself right into the elite status! Ironically, a naked mole rat is certainly off beat! My enthusiasm for this creature does not stem from its slightly naughty name, but its rarity and how unusual it is.

Beautiful cheetah series, even incorporating an elephant for added interest.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn My goodness, thank you so much for all your nice comments.

We certainly had a great Kenyan Safari. There seemed to be a never-ending daily highlight that we would comment on afterwards.

"Elite status" WOW!! That is quite something coming from you. If it wasn't for Dominic's sharp eyes we would never have had a chance to see the naked mole rat.

@@Atravelynn My goodness, thank you so much for all your nice comments.

We certainly had a great Kenyan Safari. There seemed to be a never-ending daily highlight that we would comment on afterwards.

"Elite status" WOW!! That is quite something coming from you. If it wasn't for Dominic's sharp eyes we would never have had a chance to see the naked mole rat.

You have opened us up to the world of "Mole Rat Envy." I bet it is funny when you see all this genuine hoopla about that little creature vs what you thought of it when you originally saw it on safari.

Seeing Frank and Jesse proves this safari was meant to be for you two. What a connection. The Maasai with binocs photo has a great on-safari feel to it. How appropriate to end with cattle. Did you have any cattle discussions with the Maasai or guides? I know it is one of their favorite topics.

I once talked with a restaurant chef who was leaving to go home the next day. He said he really missed his cows and was looking forward to seeing them soon. In the meantime his mother was tending to them. Nothing about missing Dear Old Mom. ha ha.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn Everyone has their own path to their 15 minutes of fame. I guess the naked mole rat is ours. Could be worse things. I wonder how many safari talkers have seen or photographed a naked mole rat??? Maybe I should start a "Show us your naked mole rat photos" thread on the photography section.

Once we showed our guides our ranch and cattle photos the warmth shown to us increased dramatically. They, of course, wanted to know how many cows we have and what we use them for. They would tell us how many they have. Domonic said that he preferred his goats because he could sell them for cash. At Sosian, where they raise cattle along side the wildlife, we certainly had a full tour and in depth conversation with the lodge and the ranch manager. We joked that we could write this safari off as a business trip.

@@Atravelynn Everyone has their own path to their 15 minutes of fame. I guess the naked mole rat is ours. Could be worse things. Certainly! I wonder how many safari talkers have seen or photographed a naked mole rat??? Maybe I should start a "Show us your naked mole rat photos" thread on the photography section. You could give it a try. That is one thing I like about this site. The uproar over the mole rat was genuine and lots of folks here get excited over cool things in nature. It is fun to share that sentiment. On some other travel sites the uproar skews more to presentation of appetizers, fancy drinks, and room décor. I prefer to learn about what aligns with my interests and I find that here. I will admit to being impressed with the well appointed Namiri Plains drink cart though, and wishing I could wheel it around.

Once we showed our guides our ranch and cattle photos the warmth shown to us increased dramatically. I am sure it did! Not many visitors share that in common. They, of course, wanted to know how many cows we have and what we use them for. They would tell us how many they have. Cow count is very important from what I have learned, right. Domonic said that he preferred his goats because he could sell them for cash. At Sosian, where they raise cattle along side the wildlife, we certainly had a full tour and in depth conversation with the lodge and the ranch manager. We joked that we could write this safari off as a business trip. There you go!

Edited by Atravelynn

So pleased I found time to catch up wth part three of the Offbeat safari. The Mara lived up to expectations again. You had some truly remarkable sightings. So many to choose from but the bat eared foxes spring to mind as does the lion up the tree.

I really liked the Giraffes in the mist shot. Again compliments to Mama Ndege on her photography. I would also like to add a vote for the people photography, I particularly liked the series of the guides, the joy in their work and life itself is very apparant in these shots.

Overall this was a tremendous trip. Really appreciated this trip report, I may have said this in an earlier comment - it is a fine combinatoin of your words and Mama Ndege's photos. If I did say it before, it isn't a problem as it merits repeating.

I will hopefully be heading to Meru in a few months so will be looking out for the mole rat. I think this has been added to a few people's must see list now :)

One final comment: on your home ranch, it looks beautiful and I can clearly see the similarities between it and the Mara. As well Yorkshire; the dry stone walls really surprised me. You also have some mighty fine looking cows!!

@@CaroleE Thank you very much for your very kind words. We did have a fantastic safari at all four locations, including the non Offbeat stop at Nairobi Tented Camp.

We are pleased that you enjoyed this TR. This being my first one I was struggling at first to find my footings.

I hope you can add to the mole rat sightings on Safaritalk. Are you staying at Offbeat Meru? We really liked our guide Dominic there.

The dry stone walls were on this property when my Grandparents bought it in 1918. I have been restoring them for the last 15 years since we purchased this farm from my Aunt and Uncle. Hopefully they will stand for another hundred years plus.

Your motto: I live and work to travel, is ours as well. Have a great next safari.

@@mapumbo

My trip is still being planned but I am hoping to stay at Offbeat Meru. Meru has been on my to visit list for quite some time and I have read excellent reports here on Offbeat so it is the natural choice. Now just have to finalise plans.....

Wow the property has been in your family for quite some time. It must be very satisfying to maintain the walls, good honest work and seeing the results of your labours as you go. Not to mention that you have the knowledge that they will be there for many years to come, with the walls themselves helping to maintain the property and allowing it to be used for its purpose. Very satisfying.

Great to hear you have the same motto. I think it is a very good mantra to live by.

• 5 weeks later...

Just re-read the entire 11 pages...we will be doing the same trip for the most part...no NNP and we will be driving between Meru and Sosian...2 weeks and counting.

@@SSF556 I'm sure you will have a great safari. Wish we were going with you.

Offbeat has new camp managers at Meru and Mara, but I'm sure the outstanding guides are still there.

Give our best regards to Dominic at Meru and David at Mara.

Great start @@mapumbo ! Very eager to read more!

How did you experience Kenya? Was there any safety unease from your end? I keep asking people and collecting data/proof because I would love to go there but my husband feels it's unsafe at the moment.

I travel to Kenya every year, twice sometimes, and I am here to tell the story. In Nairobi, use common sense as you would in any major city, but do NOT walk at night, get a cab. The National parks are as safe as any national park can be. So I say to you; Go and enjoy, you will not regret it. Safari njema (safe journey)

• 6 months later...

@@mapumbo I have to say that I'm looking forward to finally visiting Nairobi National Park and staying at Emakoko Lodge fro 4 nights. I can't believe that after living for 4 years In Nairobi I still haven't been there!!!

I just love your photos.

@@optig I'm sure you will enjoy your time in NNP. Great place to have good viewings of both black and white rhino.

Maybe you will see the sunni. A visit to the elephant orphanage is well worthwhile.

@@mapumbo I already visted the elephant orphanage and was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. I also loved the girafee center.