Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarsS

Rhino poaching in 2015 stabilised

8 posts in this topic

Some news today coming from South Africa about rhino poaching. The numbers of rhinos being poached in SA have stabilised after it increased year after year from 2007.

There's some optimism around the new stats. But still, with 1.175 rhinos poached it's only 40 less compared to last year and 1.175 are a lot of rhinos.

826 of 1.175 rhinos were poached in Kruger, mostly near the border with Mozambique

At the same time rhino poaching in Namibia and Zimbabwe increased in 2015 by 200%, that's 130 rhinos.

More info can be found all over the internet, for example:

The Guardian

All Africa

Bloomberg

1 person likes this

This is good news for SA. Let's hope the trend continues.

But it looks as though the problem has just moved elsewhere.

1 person likes this

Sadly its probably more a reflection of more poaching elsewhere and Rhinos getting harder to find in the likes of Kruger

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

• it is good that the poaching figures did not go up
  • basically keeping last year's poaching level is a disaster
  • I am seriously unimpressed that they have lost the capacity to do much about this
  • the lack of transparency 2 to 3 media briefings is very unimpressive
  • when you don't brief regulary you cause interested people like me to check often
  • looking at the traffic report http://www.traffic.org the Africa wide poaching would be at least 1305
  • as mentioned before the National Environment Management Act is being changed ,but no specific poaching charge is being added ,they still rely on trespass and illegal firearms possession charges
  • Sth Africa should learn from Botswana for prevention of poaching and Tanzania for exemplary court sentences
  • the attitude must be this is a disaster
  • political closness to Mozambique as an anti apartheid frontline state could well result in not enough being done to address their part of the problem

Things did not get worse but it is still disaster ,not a cause for celebration

Edited by COSMIC RHINO
1 person likes this

Reading the Traffic comments, Kruger lost 10% nof the population in 1 year , nothing to celebrate about.

This is a major failure

rangers need proper weapons not 303 single shot rifles.

time to have the army in heavy numbers on close 24 hr poer day close rhino patrol

I'm curious if there's a difference between the number of poached rhinos in the first half vs the second half of 2015. That would make clear if there's a decrease in numbers poached or if it's still at the same level as last year. Given the increases of last year, I was relieved to read it didn't got even worse, as I feared that would happen. But of course it really needs to go down to a level of 2007 when only 13 were poached in SA (or better to zero, although that might be an utopia). You just feel so powerless sitting behind the laptop and reading the news...

• the few reports issued in the year would suggest an uneven occurance of poaching over the year

no one is impressed by the lack of transparency

all of the small number of arrests were made in and around kruger national park ---=- zero made elsewhere

for the first time all kruger poaching sites were preserved correctly for forensic crime scene investigation, this should have been happening for years

I'm curious if there's a difference between the number of poached rhinos in the first half vs the second half of 2015. That would make clear if there's a decrease in numbers poached or if it's still at the same level as last year. Given the increases of last year, I was relieved to read it didn't got even worse, as I feared that would happen. But of course it really needs to go down to a level of 2007 when only 13 were poached in SA (or better to zero, although that might be an utopia). You just feel so powerless sitting behind the laptop and reading the news...

~ @@LarsS

I empathize with what you feel.

There is indeed such a feeling of powerlessness in the face of insidious market forces steadily slaughtering endangered species to meet unrelenting demand in East Asia.

Nevertheless the unrelenting concern of Safaritalk members reflects the deep disapproval of those around the globe who truly care about the wildlife poaching in Africa.

The ultimate consumers are causing the demand, which in turn causes the slaughter.

Education to shift East Asian attitudes is direly needed at all levels, as illegal wildlife parts remain status symbols here, even if clandestinely acquired.

Tom K.