See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Zimbabwe news

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

@sharonpimcott I know that I'll be in Zimbabwe during June of 2018. I'll be visiting Hwange,and Victoria Falls. I've been to Zimbabwe before when there ware elections and didn't have any problems. As you well know tourists aren't affected by Zimbabwe's political issues. In fact on my second visit to Zimbabwe in 2011 I was told that all of Zimbabwe's political problems were over,and that I could move to Zimbabwe. I can remember very well being asked by the gentlemen in Immigration to please invest in Zimbabwe. Well you can imagine my reaction. 

Hi @optig, I have to say that I expect the 2018 election could get really quite violent (again - ie like some of the previous ones, when there were travel warnings from most countries) - unless something changes in the meantime. ZANU-PF will never - never - (from what I know personally of some of those high-level men) let go of power easily. So if they win fairly and squarely, there shouldn't be problems. But, this time - since Zim really is on a knife-edge these days with some people at last demonstrating and speaking out etc - if it's not free and fair - and if, by some miracle, ZANU-PF looses, well I have to say, that I never left the country intentionally (as a lot of people did) during the last few elections - but, for 2018, I'd be very very wary, if I was still living there. I don't think they know the month of the elections as yet - but last one was earlier than June if I remember rightly. I really do believe there's a very good chance that Zanu would stoop to civil war, rather than to relinquishing power....  But, then, elections are another year+ away - and anything could happen in that time!

(By the way, if you edit your 'm' in my surname to a 'n', then I'll get notification of you talking to me!) Cheers!

• optig likes this

#42 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

@Sharon Pincott Thanks again for your advice. I'll wait and see what will happen in Zimbabwe in 2018. I can always visit Zimbabwe in 2019 or another year. There are so many other places to visit. As we'd both agree once Africa gets into your system you'll never get it out. I've lived many places before. I moved to Kenya but this by far is my favorite. I have to go back to the States to visit my mother because she'll be celebrating her 81st birthday. I'll be in Chicago,it's not the weather that really bothers me it's the fact that I find the States to be well far more sterile. Even living in Nairobi I do get to see monkeys,and a wide variety of birds. 

#43 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

@Sharon Pincott Thanks again for your advice. I'll wait and see what will happen in Zimbabwe in 2018. I can always visit Zimbabwe in 2019 or another year. There are so many other places to visit. As we'd both agree once Africa gets into your system you'll never get it out. I've lived many places before. I moved to Kenya but this by far is my favorite. I have to go back to the States to visit my mother because she'll be celebrating her 81st birthday. I'll be in Chicago,it's not the weather that really bothers me it's the fact that I find the States to be well far more sterile. Even living in Nairobi I do get to see monkeys,and a wide variety of birds. 

@optig How are you getting on with visa restrictions in Kenya, staying there full-time?

#44 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

@Sharon Pincott I always make sure that I either leave the country before my initial 90 day visa runs out or of course I can get an automatic 90 day extension. I then leave Kenya before my extension either to visit my mother in the States or to visit another country. I had  a horrible experience with an incredibly arrogant,and supercilious Kenyan official who decided that he didn't like my being  idle in Kenya.he even threatened to put me on a plane back to South Africa; of course I knew that he couldn't do this so I just went along and was super polite and nice to him. So sure enough he let me go. I then decided to apply for Kenyan residence,after waiting for 5 months I was given it. Nevertheless, I decided that I didn't want it because I resented that the fact the cost of residence had risen from 80,000 shillings and being issued free every year after that,to 100.000 shilling  every year. This was obviously due to the fact there was now a new head of Immigration who wanted to simply line his pockets with more money. So,I don't have residence,and I have the considerable advantage of having been issued  new passport last January. 

#45 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

@Sharon Pincott I always make sure that I either leave the country before my initial 90 day visa runs out or of course I can get an automatic 90 day extension. I then leave Kenya before my extension either to visit my mother in the States or to visit another country. I had  a horrible experience with an incredibly arrogant,and supercilious Kenyan official who decided that he didn't like my being  idle in Kenya.he even threatened to put me on a plane back to South Africa; of course I knew that he couldn't do this so I just went along and was super polite and nice to him. So sure enough he let me go. I then decided to apply for Kenyan residence,after waiting for 5 months I was given it. Nevertheless, I decided that I didn't want it because I resented that the fact the cost of residence had risen from 80,000 shillings and being issued free every year after that,to 100.000 shilling  every year. This was obviously due to the fact there was now a new head of Immigration who wanted to simply line his pockets with more money. So,I don't have residence,and I have the considerable advantage of having been issued  new passport last January. 

:) Sounds rather like Zimbabwe!

#46 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

Just found this link in the comments field of a different article I was reading - http://nehandaradio....be-rule-hungwe/. @optig, yes I'd adopt a wait-and-see policy for your time there in 2018 I think!

#47 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Local time: 05:20 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

@Sharon Pincott      that is a pretty scary article to read. The total nonchalance in proposing civil war.....wow.

• Sharon Pincott likes this

#48 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

@Sharon Pincott      that is a pretty scary article to read. The total nonchalance in proposing civil war.....wow.

Hi @lmonmm, if you ever get a chance to read my latest book, Elephant Dawn, I don't think you'll be surprised! (The Zanu-PF govt are often 'big mouths' and 'no action', but with something like this, they're certainly capable.) 

Edited by Sharon Pincott, 10 December 2016 - 01:50 AM.

• optig and lmonmm like this

#49 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

@Sharon PincottI just finished reading your latest article.As you well know there's simply no reasoning with hunters, all they care about is putting the heads on the wall with the largest tusks. Furthermore,as you know despite all evidence to the contrary many are advocating sustainable ivory quotas;I not only feel that this is totally repugnant but simply insane. The evidence is overwhelming that this money earned won't benefit conservation nor be for the benefit of local communities. I find it encouraging that Kenyans not only don't want a return to big game hunting;they are proud of the fact that it was eliminated long ago. 

#50 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

@Sharon PincottI just finished reading your latest article.As you well know there's simply no reasoning with hunters, all they care about is putting the heads on the wall with the largest tusks. Furthermore,as you know despite all evidence to the contrary many are advocating sustainable ivory quotas;I not only feel that this is totally repugnant but simply insane. The evidence is overwhelming that this money earned won't benefit conservation nor be for the benefit of local communities. I find it encouraging that Kenyans not only don't want a return to big game hunting;they are proud of the fact that it was eliminated long ago. 

@optig yes, unethical/corrupt sport-hunters combined with corrupt govt officials (Zim has too many of both) are a deadly combination, and not only for the wildlife... On top of everything else, Zimbabwe, for one, simply doesn't have the will - or the ability right now - to properly control any sort of ivory market. The $s would never end up going where they should. (Where is their 'missing' 15 billion ... billion!... US$s from diamond mining for example?!) ... When a hunter doesn't like eyes and ears and voices in the field, you know immediately they have something to hide...  As I answered in that 'Elephant Dawn' Q&A, photographic tourism is so important to Africa's wildlife - so long as it is properly controlled. Which, in Zim, you're still wise to actually ask the lodges you plan to visit what they are doing in terms of putting some of their profits back into helping the wildlife, and the communities who live closeby to their lodges, prior to booking with them.

• optig likes this

#51 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

http://allafrica.com...1612110202.html This is yet more depressing news about the infamous "gucci Grace." I'm sure that many of know that's a notorious shopaholic who set a record for the most amount of money spent in one spree in Harrod's of London. As I know  she used the Presidential jet to fly to the U.K. When over 92% of Zimbabweans are unemployed,the government is issuing worthless bonds because it has no cash,and government employees are being laid off, she buys  this incredibly expensive ring. Does anyone expect her to seriously secede "Old Bob" when she is known as being addicted to shopping, and doesn't have the charisma?  She reminds me of Marie Antoinette

#52 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

It has been reported that the funds for the ring were paid from a Zim bank but the refund was requested to a Dubai bank account. Sounds less like a shopping spree and more like a way to shift cash out of the country. Such a terrible state of affairs.
  • optig likes this
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#53 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:01 AM

Hi @optig I've just read something that I thought may be of interest to you, given one of your posts here:

The Zim election in 2018 can't - according to the constitution (as if they care less about their constitution; they simply just amend the constitution to suit them!!!) - but anyway, according to the constitution the 2018 election can't be "Not more than 30 days before Mugabe was last sworn in". He was last sworn in on 22 August 2013 - so that means that the earliest the election can be is late-July 2018; ie around this late-July/August period. Just thought you'd like to know that, given your planned 2018 visit (and given that news article I posted where they even publicly ADMIT to thinking of civil war to remain in power!) ...

• optig likes this

#54 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:18 AM

@SharonPincott I'm planning to visit Zimbabwe in June of 2018. I'll only be in Victoria Falls and of course Hwange. So I'm not terribly worried. As you know Zimbabweans never bother tourists. I've even had the experience of Zimbabweans literally begging me to come and invest in their country,including government officials. 

#55 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

the life and times of Robert Mugabe

• he has already been selected as ZANZPF candidate for the 2018 presidential election
  • he reportedly has  prostate cancer
  • if he lasts to 2018, that will make him 94
  • 20 DEC  he has left for annual leave in Singapore again 
  • there has recently been a tree planting ceremony at Masvingo , the tree raised to be planted had already been put in a hole , with some earth in a pile  nearby to be filled in, RM instead of using the shovel to fill  in the hole , was taking more earth out of the hole and placing it on the pile.
  • allafrica news  has a video link from newzimbabwe com dated 19 dec

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#56 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:37 AM

Zimbabwe Flight to HELL for Elephants this Christmas. Lots of world outrage on countless Fbook pages as Zimbabwe uplight 36 young elephants, ripped from their mothers and families, and fly them to China on 23 December (trying to do it under cover of darkess, however their own inefficiencies stuffed even this up for them, when plane was delayed on the tarmac at Vic Falls airport; trying also to do this when they thought there'd be no 'noise'; people too preoccupied at Xmas time). Well, they were wrong! You'll find alot of activity re this on my old Zim Elephant facebook page https://www.facebook...ialElephantsZim (1st post re this on that page shared now over 400 times.) ... What Zimbabwe is doing is legal - but it is in no way ethical. They have to wake up and realise what this sort of activity is doing to their Tourism industry... And there's already this news article out too - https://www.theguard...-parks-in-china

Edited by Sharon Pincott, 24 December 2016 - 02:45 AM.

• ZaminOz and optig like this

#57 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

@Sharon Pimcott  Thank you so much for informing me and everyone else about this outrageous behavior on the part of Mugabe's government. As you know all too well Old Bob goes to Singapore not only to visit his 

son,but also to get a check up. He's attempting to hide the true state of his his health.

#58 Sharon Pincott

Sharon Pincott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

@optig He's been doing that forever. The man's very nearly 93 years old and certainly getting frailer and frailer. But I have to say that it's not him (or certainly not only him) who is behind all of this, and behind the 'suspect' relationships with a particular Chinese woman living inside Zim (who I know 100% has had a HUGE hand in this one). It's not going to change in a hurry, even when he's 6 foot under I'm afraid... It was actually 35 young elephants that left this time - and another 100 (or so) still on order. We have to hope, for the sake of their tourism industry, that they buckle under World outrage/pressure - but of course they're not known for doing that.... (Btw, you've got a 'm' in my surname again! - but I found your post anyway.) Cheers!

Edited by Sharon Pincott, 26 December 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#59 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:02 AM

@Sharon Pincott thank you for sharing your information. I do know that tourism will eventually improve once he's gone,but it won't happen overnight. 

#60 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:52 AM

There is talk of a secret memory at allafrica com of the war vets coming out in a secret memo against  R Mugabe being the continuing presidential candidate as his is a repressive dictator

someone was taken before a magistrates court and the report was withdrawn

by taking  this action against a report which is unlikely to have any practical effect ,RM is both  drawing attention to its contents and confirming the truth of its conclusions

dictators just want choirs of praise

he is just staying around addicted to power, wanting to advance his concerns for leadership once he has passed on

many would be glad if he just went into exile

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 04 January 2017 - 06:43 AM.

• optig likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.