See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

major reports of illegal wildlife trade eles, rhinos etc

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#21 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

there is talk of Uganda increasing its penalties to be similar to Kenya  and Tanzania , as a signal that the illegal wildlife trade is illegal

• optig likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#22 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

oxpeckers  reporters have recently written about Zambia  and Namibia  please see http://www.oxpeckers.org

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#23 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

12 APRIL  CHINESE DEMAND DRIVES ZAMBIA'S AMATEUE IVORY GANGS they are once again involved  in poaching in Zimbabwe and Botswana

14 MARCH  NAMIBIA'S SECRET IVORY BUSINESS a quality  detailed article on rhino and elephant poaching

#24 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,485 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

12 APRIL  CHINESE DEMAND DRIVES ZAMBIA'S AMATEUE IVORY GANGS they are once again involved  in poaching in Zimbabwe and Botswana

14 MARCH  NAMIBIA'S SECRET IVORY BUSINESS a quality  detailed article on rhino and elephant poaching

~ @COSMIC RHINO

The dates above and the comments are serious assertions.

I agree with @Game Warden that it helps all Safaritalk members and guests if more full support information is included.

When it's lacking, as above, it appears like newswire mini-headlines, rather than serving as a reasoned introduction to serious topics.

What is the source for these assertions? A Web site? A published newspaper? Hearsay?

While the dates are helpful, a URL link or at least the mention of the source would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for bringing such possible concerns to Safaritalk's attention.

Tom K.

#25 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

the oxpeckers  reporters group is a of investigative reporters who go into the field and observe events

they are fully trained and experienced journalist

their leader used to work for the MAIL AND GUARDIAN  but has gone of to do her more specalised  work  now , attracting NGO and chartiable funding

the MAIL AND GUARDIAN has largely given up on wildlife reporting , possibly the treason for the new group

as is common in this area sources are not identified as it can place them in danger

with softwear changes here URL links do not work for me here beyond the home pages.

copy and past is a total failure , and attemting to put in the full link does not work out.

#26 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,485 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

~ @COSMIC RHINO

What are you trying to explain? You mention the “treason for the new group”. What's that?

Are you indirectly saying that the grave assertions which posted above about “amateur ivory gangs” and “secret ivory business” are from something called the “oxpeckers reporters group”?

If so, how is it difficult to type in the URL Web address, which would take no more than a few seconds, so that others might read their original statements?

If you were able to read such material on-line, other Safaritalk members would likewise be able to read it, if you'd kindly provide the URL Web address.

Thank you for your consideration in helping us to learn more.

Tom K.

#27 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:36 AM

unfortunately  , I am not the only one to have this problem here

someone else  has said that they are affected

the softwear  on this site was changed a while ago meaning  that copy and paste no longer works for me

if I put in the full URL it works out as link not found

so I give the story title and home page

#28 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:26 AM

Time to change browser! I would suggest either chrome or firefox instead of internet explorer!

#29 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:08 AM

It is at work I am stuck with what they supply

#30 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

• oxpeckers  reporters  may well have originated from the lack  of serious ongoing  wildlife crime reporting in the south African press
  • sometimes what is posted is briefer than what I would like as the time is getting late

• an extensive analysis of major ivory seizures for the period 2000 to 2015  has been done by the environmental investigation agency.  it is called ILLEGAL TRADE SEIZURES ELEPHANT IVORY MAPPING THE CRIMES  HTTP://WWW.EIA-INTERNATIONAL.ORG

This was covered in a news item called THIS NEW MAP OF IVORY SEIZURES COULD HELP SAVE ELEPHANTS  at  site http://www.takepart.com

going to the actual report is often best, you will find it easiest to find with a search engine, it is not listed on the front pages at the EIA site or under reports.

the report is supported by extensive hyperlink references  and a excel list of all ivory seizures of 500 kg and above in date order for the period 

the elephant population in Africa was 1.3 million in 1979, 500,000 in 1987,  and something between wen 410,000 and 650,000 now

at the moment one elephant is murdered for ivory every 15 minutes

the university of Washington conservation centre converts  seized ivory to elephants  at the ratio of 6.7  kg to 1 elephant

100,000 elephants were murdered between 2010 to 2012 , the annual slaughter rate could be 50,000

in the period  2000 to 2015  there have been

• 117 ivory seizures of at least 500 kg
  • the total weight is 211,527.13 kg
  • this equals 31,571 elephants 

very little of this about 15% has been  given proper criminal forensic analysis, this is  by the number of seizures , not a proportion of the total weight

of serious concern  ivory goes missing from government stores, including 1.2 tons from Uganda in 2014.

of special interest given the extensive  loss of elephants in Zimbabwe over this period, is the absence of even one ivory seizure of 500 kg and above  by parks or law enforcement authorities 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 14 April 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#31 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

it is good to see some progress in the elephant war , but there are serious concerns about their long term survival given that poaching losses are above births , and this loss of number can and is added to the in a major way by droughts.

#32 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Traffic  a NGO working on the illegal wildlife trade has just this week issues a detailed report on Japan's ivory and rhino horn markets

please see  http://www.traffic.o...tion-patte.html

it is lengthy and detailed, well worth looking at 

there are ongoing concerns for ivory, but so called medicinal use of rhino horn is very low and based on old horns which can have their origins documented.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 29 April 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#33 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

STH Africa has released the rhino poaching updated figures

please see https://www.environm...t_rhinopoaching

• whilst they are nothing wonderful they are 10% down on the same period for 2015
  • the total number of deaths is  363 with 276 from kruger and surrounds covering Jan to APRIL 2016
  • security is working out a bit better
  • the number of daily incursions into kruger park is 9, up for 7 lasy year

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 10 May 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#34 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

oxpeckers  investigative reports has a item of Kruger national parks poaching  http://oxpeckers.org/2016/05/2795/

they are going after both rhinos who are mainly in the south  and elephants mainly in the north

the ele losses are increasing , and there is only one force of rangers to do the security

there are no plans to increase the number of rangers

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 16 May 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#35 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

the local press reports in Cambodia that Chinese tourists are a major market for shops selling ivory

please see http://www.khmertime...--ivory-market/

in the recent past the shops were declining

now they are growing , over half of them are Chinese owned and the signs are in the Chinese language.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 20 May 2016 - 09:15 AM.

• optig likes this

#36 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

recent research http://news.psu.edu/...nt-conservation that elephant poaching in Tsavo  is mainly near tracks or water

• nearly 69% of cases were within 1 1/2 miles of tracks
  • 62 % of cases were within 2.5 miles of rivers, lakes or other water bodies

the researchers recommend  that drones be used to monitor  elephants  and check for the presence of poachers

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 23 May 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#37 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

the United nations has recently issued  the WORLD WILDLIFE CRIME REPORT , please see http://www.traffic.org

The report was done by the UN office on drugs and crime and covers many types of crime

an estimated 7,000 species are traded

the report begins with an excellent general introduction , then goes onto case studies of rosewood,ivory,reptile skins ,agarwood,pangolin , parrots and cavier

it then concludes with policy recommendations

interestingly under a UN convention organized crime is defined as 3 or more people involved in the commissioning of a listed offence

all nations in the world are somehow involved in the llicit wildlife, timber and fish trade

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 27 May 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#38 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

There is an ongoing problem with elephant poaching in Namibia please see http://oxpeckers.org  31 may  HANDS OFF OUR ELEPHANTS NAMIBIA'S MINISTER WARNS

they are wandering in the drought, there is more problem with conflict with people, some want to provoke them so they cam be declared problem animals and hunted

people who graze their cattle move them into wildlife reserves, then have problems when lions hunt the cattle

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 02 June 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#39 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

• looks like the oil fields in sth sudan  are becoming a hot spot for the illegal wildlife trade, please see http://qz.com/695830...icking-hotspot/  
  • US announces near total ban on ivory trade  please see http://abcnews.go.co...-lines-39554016 the trade is substantial mainly in antique shops and gun handles, the announcement comes just before an official visit by the secretaries of state ant treasury to China

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 03 June 2016 - 04:49 AM.

#40 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Here is a major report on rhino poaching in sthn Africa

it is called TIPPING POINT TRANSNATIONAL ORGANISED CRIME AND THE WAR ON POACHING   part 1    and  BEYOND BORDERS CRIME ,CONSERVATION AND CRIMINAL NETWORKS IN THE ILLECIT RHINO HORN TRADE part 2   from the global initatative against organized crime   please see  http://www.globaliniatative.net 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 21 July 2016 - 10:10 AM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.