Wild Dogger

@@Wild Dogger, Very stylish, almost space-age camp. The magenta colouring in the dunes too, almost other-wordly. The images of the wildlife in that harsh terrain are just beautiful. Out of curiosity, what is the Desert Lion population in the area?

@@elefromoz

Not sure about the exact numbers.

There was, if I recap the movie correctly, a pride of 4 lionesses (from which one died from old age) with 5 young male lions, which were called the "5 Musketeers".

The males were kicked out recently and have their territory further south-west closer to the coast and close to one of the oasises.

All of these lions are collared, so it might help, if you have a look at the webside of the desert lion research project.

By checking the webside, I realized, that there´s only one adult lion alive in the Hoanib pride.
Might be the one we saw.

@@Wild Dogger, thanks for that, although grim reading. It seems you had a very lucky sighting, good luck to that Lioness, she's gonna need it

Beautiful shots of the desert - I love the Oryx running in particular

I love Namibia threads. Having not yet been there, I'm consistently amazed at how the environment is simultaneously familiar and yet totally different. Your shots are exemplary.

I love Namibia threads. Having not yet been there, I'm consistently amazed at how the environment is simultaneously familiar and yet totally different. Your shots are exemplary.

~ @@Marks

I wholeheartedly concur, for the same reasons.

You've eloquently expressed what I was feeling while catching up on @@Wild Dogger's outstanding Namibia trip report.

His scorpion shot is stunningly good!

Tom K.

I would say that your camera is more wonderful than the scenery itself which capture it so fantastically.

• 3 weeks later...

Our last full day in the Hoanib area.

While others are opting for an all day trip further south to maybe find the Musketeers and Desert Rhino, we decide to split our day as usual in two game drives, one morning and one in the afternoon as usual. I am not a big fan to stay out all day, so are Natalie and her dad.

The route is mainly the same as yesterday when we went to the Skeleton Coast, just not that far.

gallery_5715_1432_535733.jpg

It´s nothing much different compared to the other days. Oryx, Springbok, Elephant and giraffes if it comes to game and great scenery over all.

gallery_5715_1432_439071.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_446497.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_281195.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_604853.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_9777.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_214313.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_401345.jpggallery_5715_1432_58035.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_826105.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_177680.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_604680.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_620755.jpg

At lunch we hear some other guests talking about a Leopard on an Oryx carcass. Hard to believe for us as our guide told us there are no Leopards, maybe he just wanted to tell us that we won´t see any.

Futuristic design of Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp:

gallery_5715_1432_523782.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_84401.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_122113.jpg

Out for the afternoon drive we hear about the radio that there is really a Leopard on a carcass.

I am excited and look forward in maybe catching a glimpse of that cat.

We more or less go the same route as in the morning. There is not really a big network of roads to take. Most of the time we drive in the dry river bed.
Then we get a radio call from Flip Stander. What he tells our guide in the local language is, that he does not want us to go and look for that Leopard. I think, he wants to dart and collar the cat and we might make the cat even more elusive so he does not have a chance to shoot it.

To be honest, I was pi**ed in that moment and still am.

I was also not happy about the fact, that all lions in the area were collared, but on second thought, I did understand the very special issue in this place.

So it´s Oryx, Giraffe and Sprinbok again, not complaining.

gallery_5715_1432_31604.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_32470.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_211877.jpg

gallery_5715_1432_372707.jpg

We have our sundowners and head back to camp.

gallery_5715_1432_232146.jpg

We go back to our chalet to freshen up and wait to be picked up for dinner.

We wait

and wait, we hear the other guests talking on the fire place

and wait

and wait

all of the sudden there is a lot of rumble and turmoil over there,
we hear doors clashing, cars driving and then there is silence.

What the hell is going on over there. We are now waiting for about maybe 1 hour to get picked up.
The camp is dead quiet, no noise. We call, nothing.
Another 5 minutes later we see light running towards our house.
Our guide is picking us, telling me to take my camera.

I grab it and we follow him. Natalie and her dad are also still in the camp, nobody else to be seen.

Then our guide tells us that Flip Stander has darted the Leopard and we should rush to see it.

I am not really looking forward to see that, I feel pitty with the cat.

What follows is a big show, everybody in the camp is taking selfies with the paralyzed animal. Although I could not deny to touch the Leopard quickly I am not really happy with this scene.

gallery_5715_1432_853490.jpg

Highlight is when Flip tells us to smell on the rear foot of the animal, it seems to have a very musk smell.
I imagine him in his bathroom and using a predator´s paw as deodorant.

He tells his audience, that he now has collared all lions in the area, one brown hyena, 2 Cheetah and now this leopard. I am happy for the trees, that they are immobile otherwise he might have collared them too.

So we head back to camp for dinner and I am not really sure, what to think about what has happened there. I am right now, months later, not sure, thinking back and forth.

Our last morning in the Hoanib valley.

I ask our guide if we could check the place where the Leopard was darted.

Flip Stander has removed him and also the killed Oryx to a save place as in the river bed it might have been dangerous for the paralyzed animal as elephants are often wandering there. He also did not tell where he moved it, understandable not wanting the cat to be disturbed more as it already is.

Nothing much happening this morning.

Our flight to Doro Nawas leaves at 10.30.

At Doro Nawas we pick up our car and drive to the africat Foundation close to Okonjima.

@@Wild Dogger

Your landscapes with wildlife shots are spectacular! As for the leopard, I think I can relate to you. The same feelings when we were taken to see a turtle laying eggs.

No show and no selfies but even so, I have preferred to leave the lady to do her things by herself. However, as turtle sightings does accumulate quite a lot of money that

subsequently goes to their protection.

Just returned to the later parts of this report.

As always your wildlife shots are pretty awesome but the landscapes have simply taken my breath away. What varied scenery and superb images capturing the essence of it all. Thank you @@Wild Dogger