See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Ungulate Survey in the Ogaden - Dibatags, 3 sp. of Dik-diks, and more!

Dibatag Dik-diks Soemmerrings gazelle ogaden

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anomalure

Anomalure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Would love to visit here someday - there seems to be some wonderful and truly unique antelope species and races... It always amazes me quite how much wildlife remains in some of these remote, unmanaged areas.

http://awwp.alwabra....ed_Pub_No_1.pdf

• inyathi, wenchy and Tom Kellie like this

#2 wenchy

wenchy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local time: 01:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

@Anomalure - in future you may be interested in nat resource cos EIAs - assuming its a public co or private w/public filings - for the bigger projects in later development ( more $$ so more thorough ) as often do species assessments in remote spots.

#3 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Local time: 01:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

@Anomalure

Do you know if anything has been done since this report came out?

#4 Anomalure

Anomalure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

@Safaridude

Unfortunately, I don't think much happened since then - only an upgrade in IUCN status to Vulnerable. Certainly no significant conservation planning or conservancy development. The specific area in question is (or at least was) one of the few places in the Ogaden that did not receive terrible hunting pressure and still holds larger species such as Beisa Oryx and Soemmerring's Gazelle.

I know they did a survey for carnivores out there recently so hopefully another report will come out soon detailing next steps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dibatag, Dik-diks, Soemmerrings gazelle, ogaden

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.