Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anomalure

Ungulate Survey in the Ogaden - Dibatags, 3 sp. of Dik-diks, and more!

4 posts in this topic

Would love to visit here someday - there seems to be some wonderful and truly unique antelope species and races... It always amazes me quite how much wildlife remains in some of these remote, unmanaged areas.

http://awwp.alwabra.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Related_Pub_No_1.pdf

3 people like this

@@Anomalure - in future you may be interested in nat resource cos EIAs - assuming its a public co or private w/public filings - for the bigger projects in later development ( more $$ so more thorough ) as often do species assessments in remote spots.

@@Anomalure

Do you know if anything has been done since this report came out?

@@Safaridude

Unfortunately, I don't think much happened since then - only an upgrade in IUCN status to Vulnerable. Certainly no significant conservation planning or conservancy development. The specific area in question is (or at least was) one of the few places in the Ogaden that did not receive terrible hunting pressure and still holds larger species such as Beisa Oryx and Soemmerring's Gazelle.

I know they did a survey for carnivores out there recently so hopefully another report will come out soon detailing next steps.