Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa — October, 2015

Tom Kellie

offshorebirder

Thanks for this lengthy and poetic trip report @@Tom Kellie.

So many grand photos; between processing and posting all those, plus composing the poems - it must have taken dozens of hours to complete.

@@Tom Kellie I just wanted to stop and take a moment to thank you for your patience in continuing this trip report despite the difficulties imposed upon you. I certainly hope that the restrictions on the internet are lifting, and that those restrictions don't presage harsher restrictions of other kinds.

I'm at the point where I've just enjoyed beautiful Xikavi napping. Thank you for sharing such images of peaceful rest with us, even while you yourself must not be getting much rest if the uploads are taking all night. I really do think you're building something quite special with your poems and pictures in this trip report, and when I'm reading it I feel in better touch with the harmony of nature. Thank you so much!

@@Tom Kellie I'm sorry to be filling up the end of your trip report, but I literally laughed out loud at the idea of a rhino knowing when to say "enough is enough." I love the whole sequence of the sleepy rhino, even (especially?) his hindquarters, which somehow also look sleepy. Thanks for sharing. ?

@@Tom Kellie, Another gentle soothing read comes to an end. Some of us like high drama, speed, life and death encounters, whilst others enjoy the calm, tree-lined sandy tracks, sleeping, relaxed predators and the anticipation and speculation of what might have been or of what maybe is to come. I sincerely hope this isn't the last of your Africa reports, I, like many others, have enjoyed it immensely.

@@Tom Kellie I couldn't put it down, so finished the last half of the trip report in one fell swoop tonight. I was completely caught up in the cheetah chase, and like so many others here, I loved the photos! My favorite is the one where the impala's feet are about to vanish from the right of the picture-- it's like an illustration that's breaking the "4th wall" to demonstrate urgency.

There were so many other photos and descriptions I loved, too, from the gorgeous star-sunrise pictures to the sensitive giraffe pictures -- and of course that amazing sequence with Xikavi at the end, which is spectacular.

I am saddened to think of you "turning a page" away from safaris, though if that's how you feel than of course that's what you should do. You should know, though, that I have deeply valued your trip reports, as well as your insights on the other forums and discussions on SafariTalk. Your calm, cheerful demeanor and obvious love of leaning have been a real inspiration for me.

With warm wishes and thanks,

Hannah

michael-ibk

Very sorry that you have reached the end, Tom! Like your first one, this report was very special, it so clearly showed your curiousity, your interest, and your love for all Mother Nature has to offe, wild and spectacular scenes, tranquil landscapes, running rivers, beautiful antelopes, imposing giants, tiny critters, butterflies, trees, or just a leaf from time to time. I really enjoyed your focus on "everything" and I think it has again taught me that there´s never a dull moment on safari. There can´t be, because there is always something to watch if you know where to look - and I hope to have learned that a bit from your report. Thank you for that.

Really hope that you are not serious about leaving the Trip Report Team. We simply won´t allow that, you have a very special voice here on Safaritalk that is really needed, and some photos here and there are really not the same. You are a storyteller, so please continue your stories, we want to hear them!

Thanks for all your efforts (against all internet problems), they are very much appreciated, this was (again) a joy to read.

Thank you for your encouragement concerning both the leopard and rhino series.

I've posted more rhino images as there was an opportunity to photograph it at fairly close range.

Yes, when I posted the “Track Heading North” image I specifically thought of you!

It greatly pleases me that you'll be enjoying Leopard Hills in 2016!

Tom K.

~ Thank you to all Safaritalk members and visitors who've taken time to visit and look through this trip report.

The very kind comments posted during the months that it was written were greatly appreciated.

Sincere encouragement means a lot. Those honest Safaritalk members who lifted my spirits made the writing and uploading possible.

Leopard Hills is a remarkable safari destination worthy of consideration.

Sabi Sands is a wonderful location for a safari, with a variety of both larger and smaller game.

The hospitality which I received in South Africa has given me a very favorable impression of that sun-kissed nation.

As this trip report ends, I offer my hope that all future Leopard Hills guests will enjoy their safaris there as much as I did.

With Gratitude to All,

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie - A very special thank you from me. I was looking forward to my trip to Leopard Hills in December 2016 but your trip report elevated that excitement to a different level. You photographed and presented pretty much anything and everything and that shows your love of all things Africa and I am very happy that you shared that with us. We have something in common - you sit in my favourite position on the vehicle (back right although I do like to move around to give others a chance there and also get pics from other angles)!

I think you are wrong with your judgement on the arrow marked babbler though - he had not had enough of you...he was sulking because you were leaving. I am so sure of it that I intend to seek him out and ask him to confirm that when I get there. And you can expect a lot of images of sandy tree lined tracks as I attempt to return the favour.

The cheetah hunt sequence that you reluctantly presented is one I will be happy to (re) capture as well..........

Thanks again and kind regards

deano.

Greatly enjoyed your study of rhinos in pointilism. :)

You should know, though, that I have deeply valued your trip reports, as well as your insights on the other forums and discussions on SafariTalk. Your calm, cheerful demeanor and obvious love of leaning have been a real inspiration for me.

I'd like to echo these thoughts, as well. Your trip reports are among the most thoughtful, eloquent, and fascinating I've seen. And your unfailing kindness is always a pleasure to come across. You had expressed some uncertainty about future safaris in another post - if that is the case, I hope you find similar satisfaction in other pursuits (but secretly hope you will continue to grace us with these reports and photos).

• 7 months later...

~ Thank you to all Safaritalk members and visitors who've taken time to visit and look through this trip report.

The very kind comments posted during the months that it was written were greatly appreciated.

Sincere encouragement means a lot. Those honest Safaritalk members who lifted my spirits made the writing and uploading possible.

Leopard Hills is a remarkable safari destination worthy of consideration.

Sabi Sands is a wonderful location for a safari, with a variety of both larger and smaller game.

The hospitality which I received in South Africa has given me a very favorable impression of that sun-kissed nation.

As this trip report ends, I offer my hope that all future Leopard Hills guests will enjoy their safaris there as much as I did.

With Gratitude to All,

Tom K.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful Trip Report. I'm looking forward to my first (yes, my first!) Safari experience and this report made my final decision to go to Sabi Sands and particularly to Leopard Hills. I will be traveling solo as well and your takes on enjoying your time alone was truly inspired. Can't wait to see nature while submerge in the plunge pool! *should I also keep my swim suit dry?*

Anyway, it was delightful to read your report and I had no better words to describe your pictures other than magnificent.

Looking forward to read more of your reports and perhaps also I will be inspired enough to write one of my own.

Regards

@@Tom Kellie I have to say that reading your trip report,and especially seeing all your photos made me want to visit Londoloszi myself. It's not a place I'd normally chose to visit myself because it's fenced,and has all the comforts;however,I do realize that after visiting Pamushana that I'd love it myself. It would be an ideal place to take my niece and nephew on safari perhaps in combination with Tswlau Kalahari on my second visit(my first will be next summer) or Mashatsu. My niece and nephew would love it. I'd also enjoy seeing everything else besides the big five. Anyways, we never tire of seeing lions,rhinos,buffalo,elephants,and especially leopards. Thank you so much,and I'd love to meet you if you happen to be in Nairobi when I'm here.

• 4 years later...

~ A small footnote to this trip report:

Earlier this year I was told that a leopard cub I once photographed at Leopard Hills is now a mother of three!

Happy!

Tom K.