FlyTraveler

Is this possible? Lions attack safari truck, terrify tourists in Serengeti National Park

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It looks strange to me that "hungry lions" would attack a safari vehicle in Serengeti. I have seen photos of lions chewing vehicle tires in the Ngorongoro crater, but it didn't look like they were targeting the people inside the vehicles.

Do you think that this is just a BS article trying to attract attention? I wonder if this has taken place, why the other guide would take photos instead of trying to help? There should have been other vehicles around and the guide should have a radio communication with other guides, it looks strange to stay there for an hour while the lions are trying to smash windows and break into the vehicle.

We do game drives in open vehicles in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe. The link was shared by a safari guide in Ruaha NP, Tanzania and he wrote "What if the safari was in an open vehicle".

I also had no idea that safari vehicles have "reinforced glass"...

A pride of hungry lions attacked a jeep full of tourists in Serengeti National Park, destroying tires and attempting to shatter windows to get at the terrified humans inside.

Safari tour guide Emmanuel Bayo from Arusha, Tanzania, witnessed the encounter from nearby and snapped off a few photos that showed the lions in attack mode at the famous Tanzanian park.

“It was quite scary, really — the lions are very hungry in the park and hadn’t had a kill for a while,” Bayo told Caters News. “The truck was driving past with people inside and the lions smelt the humans.

“Then they were trying to get inside for about an hour and wreaked havoc.”

In addition to puncturing tires, the lions attempted to smash the windows. Fortunately, the trucks are equipped with reinforced glass and they weren’t able to succeed.

“It would have been a disaster if we hadn’t [had reinforced glass],” Bayo said.

“It was scary but exhilarating. I think everyone should come on safari with me to have these experiences!”

Such a frightening scene might have the opposite effect and keep would-be tourists away.

The photo has been taken from the article and here is the link:

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/lions-attack-safari-truck-terrify-tourists-in-serengeti-national-park/#ASKJtSWWk5zJ9Kfo.97

Edited by Game Warden

Posted (edited)

bullocks - and I also wonder how the lions could have mananaged to puncture the tyre...if the tourists had been that frightened, they should have simply driven off, not worrying about further damage to the wheel

the guy reporting the incident is clearly hoping to increase his business

Edited by ice
5 people like this

@@FlyTraveler I have edited your post to remove the image, as per Safaritalk rules here.

There was an incident in Namibia which was reported on Safaritalk here of a desert lion attacking a safari vehicle which led to the lion having to be shot.

Thanks, Matt

1 person likes this

It seems unlikely to me that the people in the car are at risk. It looks as though the lions are not starving and are simply playing with the tyres. Not unknown I think.

Also has the driver got her window down? If so, she is possibly not concerned. If not, the windows are very clean! The chap in the passenger seat is looking out of the window.

My guess...........the event is being interpreted in this way for the sake of publicity

7 people like this

I agree with @@wilddog

The lions Don't look to be attacking, just curios and the people inside don't seem to be distressed in the first picture.

4 people like this

I also agree with @@wilddog.

This is again a lie or interpretation of an event by a media to create sensation and strike ignorant and naïve readers.

3 people like this

Media… ugh!

3 people like this

Two full grown male lions attacking a vehicle for over an hour while people watched and took pictures, and the only damage were punctures.

A complete load of male danglers if you ask me.

5 people like this

The thread that Matt mentions in his post is very interesting as are the comments subsequent to this event in 2008. Well worth a look.

Very different from the lion behavior seen in this thread.

1 person likes this

No, the people in the vehicle do not look "terrified." In fact, in the last photo, the woman in the back seat actually appears to be smiling.

Comments to the article itself seem to confirm that those photographs have been in circulation on the net for some time now. Looks to be just a sensationalized piece.

1 person likes this

I've seen these photos before, a few years ago. Is it even the Serengeti? The vehicle has a ZA identifying tag. As much as it is perfectly possible to drive from South Africa, it is not likely. This is rubbish and although Lions occasionally will chew on things like tyres, it does not happen often.

Reinforced glass in a standard Landrover Defender, I think not!!!!!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Two full grown male lions attacking a vehicle ...

Three male lions if you watch closely.

And is it really from Serengeti? The photographer is from Arusha but the plate "ZA" say the vehicle is from South Africa.

(Martin, you beat me to that observation)

Not that it matters much, the experience for the tourists would be the same.

Great experience, if I had been in that car.

Edited by Sverker

Could be the tires have some very intriguing smells. Something worth a few bites. When camping, it is not unusual for hyenas to take an interest in tires, metal cool boxes, etc. that have had food spilt on them.

Also, this could be a picture from tourists in the Lion Park near Joburg. The tire thing has happened often enough in the past. Those lions look real healthy, 3 males together?- nah, the landy has a an unusual guide/driver with a lot of tourists and no gear for being so far and away in the Serengeti.

2 people like this

Check out the guide's Facebook page. He posted the picture and link to the newspaper story. It's n the internet so it must be true...

2 people like this

The car has an ZA sticker...I've seen these pictures before and I'm pretty sure this is not in the Crater. A google search shows these pictures already in October 2010.

And this article mixes up the crater with Serengeti NP, they are not the same thing!

One of the lions wears a collar, I don't think there are lions collared in the Crater. There are collared ones in the Serengeti though.

These lions have a belly flap. This is not typical for wild lions, but it does occur.

I can't find the original source, but the article is BS.

The only attack of wild lions on safari vehicles I heard of were from 'desert' lions in Namibia, it happened years ago and hasn't happened since. It seemed that the vehicle in that case came to close to the lion and it attacked out of self defense, not to hunt prey.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/1891-desert-lion-attacks-tourist-vehicle/

very unlikely

Lions in the CKGR in 2010 - seemed out of curiosity to attack the tires of vehicles. Don't think they cared about the people. They also probably sniffed food and water in the truck? I don't know ....

maybe @@johan db can add to my comment if he sees this?

Posted (edited)

My first instinct on looking at these is that it looks like they were taken at Lion Park, outside of Joberg, where they've had numerous incidents in the last year (including one death) with lions jumping into vehicles etc. as this 'park' hand rears lion cubs and habituates them to humans before releasing them into a larger area where tourists can self-drive.

A quick internet search found this article by someone who agrees with me:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lions-chewing-tyres.shtml

Edit: sorry, luangwablondes, I now see you beat me to it :)

Edited by ellenhighwater

I also think these pictures are from the Lion Park, or the Kromdraai Rhino and Lion park. Both of these places have very habituated lions in fairly small enclosures, and tire-biting is not uncommon. In fact at the Rhino and Lion park they hand out flyers to all entering the lion enclosures warning people not to stop, so that the Lions can't bite your tires, a warning everyobody ignores. In fact, the last time I was there (I sometimes take overseas visitors to our company there), I saw somebody sitting on his car's window sill while the lions were feeding 20 paces away.

While it is not unknown to see ZA-stickered vehicles in the Serengeti (most of SA's neighboring countries insist on these stickers to mark cars as foreign, thus the sticker is almost proof that the car was/is registered in SA but is used to travel outside the country's borders, a short-wheelbase Landy seems n unlikely vehicle for such a long trip?

Not that it matters much, the experience for the tourists would be the same.

Great experience, if I had been in that car.

~ @@Sverker

Ha! I had a similar reaction when it appeared in the local press here.

They played it up under the banner of “dangerous Africa”.

No telephoto lens would have been required!

Tom K.