Glacier National Park and Northern Idaho

Atdahl

While not a traditional safari trip by any means, I thought I would share our travels to Glacier and Idaho this past August. Despite having forest fire smoke for the entire trip, we still had some great experiences. One day we will have to get back to Glacier NP to really SEE it without smoke blocking our views.

Idaho Report:

http://focusedonnature.blogspot.com/2015/08/idaho-august-2015.html

Glacier Report:

http://focusedonnature.blogspot.com/2015/08/glacier-national-park-august-2015.html

Really enjoyed that, thank you! Particularly likethe second Skunk pic, Apple Mouth and the goats of course. Very beautiful scenery! That boardwalk does seem to be a bit of an atrocity, though - what's the reason for it?

Great report, The boardwalk I suspect is to prevent erosion and damage to marshland by lots and lots of walkers - I have seen similar in Scotland.

Good to see collars on something (mountain goats) other than african predators! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words @@jeremie, @@michael-ibk, and @@KaingU Lodge.

The boardwalk is there to protect the tundra from people. That trail is very popular and that coupled with the major summer snow melt would wreak havoc on the land if not for the boardwalk. Although, it was pretty dry when we were there except for a few small streams. But, I bet they have to do constant maintenance on the wood. In fact, we saw some workers hauling in huge 4x4 pieces of wood on their shoulders while we were there to repair sections. Can't be a fun job at nearly 7000ft elevation.

Alan

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

@@Atdahl , we missed Glacier last trip but certainly hope to get up there next time. So many gorgeous Parks and Wildlife in the U.S. Does that Moose look a bit thin? We enjoyed great Moose sightings in front of our lodge in Jackson along with Grizzly, very exciting. We missed Goats and I believe Glacier is one of the best spots for them, thanks for posting

@@Atdahl

Thanks so much for posting. Love the photos of the mountain goats, in addition to your other shots.

Your report serves as a timely reminder to us Americans to not forget about the incredible natural beauty and wildlife in our own backyard. I'm as guilty as any, having never been to Idaho or Montana. Inexcusable! I keep telling myself that I'm focused on international travel right now, while I'm relatively young and able, and that I can do the rest of the U.S. later on. I hope that proves to be the case.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

@@elefromoz, I agree that moose appeared a bit thin. But, otherwise it was healthy looking unlike many of the moose we have seen in Yellowstone and Grand Teton that are being eaten alive by ticks and look quite mangy.

@@Alexander33, I know what you mean. We have some small boat cruises on our list but have decided they can wait until we are older. Glacier is a great hiking park so the fitter you are the more you can see. It may be time to break up your travels abroad to see Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I don't think you will regret it.

ellenhighwater

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.

As for unhealthy looking Moose, Liver Fluke has really pummeled moose populations the last decade. Very sad:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/10.7589/2014-09-235

http://www.care2.com/causes/mysterious-moose-die-offs-baffle-scientists-and-wildlife-officials.html

The smoke here in Montana was really bad for some time! Did you manage to read the ring on the ptarmigan? I'm sure some researcher would love to hear somebody saw one of his critters.

@@egilio, Yes, we picked the wrong week for our trip for sure since smoke was the worst then. But, that just means we need to go back. Regarding the Ptarmigan, I can only see the #21...not sure if there is a 3rd digit after that or not. I did a bit of Googling to see if I could find a link to anyone that might want that information but I came up empty. If you know anyone that might be interested in that info, please let me know.

@@Atdahl I agree - Yellowstone and Grand Tetons were spectacular, I really want to get back there! Haven't made it to Glacier yet but I will. Thanks for this report, great photos of the mountain goats, ptarmigan, moose and other critters.

Edited by SafariChick

• 5 weeks later...

There may have been smoke obstructing vistas, but you had clear views of the animals on the ground. Those goats are just divine! I recall the smoke from the fires out west hitting us all the way in Wisconsin.

Hopefully you can return some day for the mountains, but you may never get that lucky again with the mountain goats!