michael-ibk

Thanks, @@dlo , I hope your puppy is doing well. No, it does not get better than Mana (nothing does ;)), but Hwange sure had some very cool tricks up its sleeve. :-)

And thanks @@Sangeeta , that´s really a very nice compliment! Everybody else has said this after their first Mana safari, but it´s the Truth: Such a special place, and Mana gets deep under your skin. No wonder, then, that I already booked a return trip. :)

Edited by michael-ibk

An Elephant Extravaganza!

What a great experience at the hide. I can understand how you might have become a bit fatigued, as I might have as well, but then we just regroup, don't we? The day one gets tired of elephants is the day one should hang up the pith -- and I don't see that happening for you for a while!

Lovely sunset silhouettes as well

Couldn't agree more!

And @@michael-ibk your cheetah sighting is amazing, would love to have been there with you. Puppies doing great, 60 pounds and only 4 and a half months old.

I'm catching up to this really late and I'm only 1/2 way through at this point (just up to finding the dogs at Mana Pools) but wow, what a great report and now, dang it, I have to add yet another safari destination to my wish-list! I've always wondered about Mana Pools and it seems incredible. So up close and personal! The only thing is that I don't think I could do it in the "suicide month." What is considered the peak time to go? (You may have mentioned this somewhere later in the report, I might not have gotten up to that yet.)

I'll catch up with the rest soon...looking forward to reading about Hwange...

I have just spent three hours reading it. I missed it before (what was I doing in November :)?). What an outstanding trip and report. I love it to the last letter. There were so many awesome sightings, but my favorite is "four cheetah brothers" lol.

well i don't know which planet I've been at for missing the last stretch of your TR! thank you for taking the time to taking us on your trip and the work you had done processing the pictures too.

awesome photos that capture the fauna and flora so well, and makes me miss Africa so badly already. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and once again, another enthralling report that calls out for a Mana pools trip. One day, one day, i promise myself!

Thank you, @@dlo , @@janzin , @@bettel. And @@Kitsafari .

Janzin, I think peak time would be August to October but the experts like @@wilddog can probably give better advice. Going earlier would have the advantage of finding the Dogs more easily since they are denning then - if the dens are known and accessible.

BTW,

The young Cheetahs have finally left their mother and dispersed, as I learned on FB today.

• 3 weeks later...

@@michael-ibk thanks for a great visual and entertaining TR.

One day I will get to Mana....

Well done mate

• 1 month later...
Game Warden

Outstanding report, fantastic sightings: those cheetah at the waterhole.

The sad story of Ten Rhinos Pan brings to the surface feelings I had whilst in Mana Pools as well. It must have been amazing rhino country, a long time ago...

Game Warden

My itinerary is a follows: July 16-August 17

Panama City to Sao Paulo, Brazil (overnight near airport)

South African Airways to Bulawayo via Joburg (easy direct 8 hour flight to Joburg; good connection to Bulawayo)

Overnight at Banff Lodge, Bulawayo

Private road transfer from Bulawayo to Chilo Gorge, Gonarezhou NP (8 hour drive)

5 nights Chilo Gorge (3 nights in lodge; 2 in "lux" fly camp)

Road transfer from Chilo Gorge to Camp Amalinda in Matopos N.P.... I'm going to get to know the drivers(s) and the terrain! Another 8 hours drive! Very difficult to get to Gonarezhou as a solo traveler.

3 nights at Amalinda in Matopos (hopefully have Paul Hubbard in residence)

Road transfer to Somalisa Acacia, Hwange (about 4 and a half hours; the last half via game drive)

5 nights at Somalisa Acacia (celebrating my birthday on July 29!)

Fly to Kariba; 1 hour boat transfer to Rhino Camp

5 nights at Rhino Safari Camp

Boat/ road transfer (3 and a half hours) to Mana Pools NP

3 nights at Zambezi Lifestyles, Mana Pools

Road transfer (one and a half hours) to Goliath Camp, Mana Pools NP

5 nights at Goliath (hoping Stretch Ferreria is there!)

Flight to Harare

1 night at Highlands House, Harare

Return to Sao Paolo, Brazil on August 16 (another overnight)

Home to Panama on August 17

Would be great to meet some fellow STalkers, should our plans intersect!

Louise @@panamaleoi

@@panamaleo Have you started a new topic in the Trip Planning subforum so that this itinerary isn't lost in another's trip report?

Matt

Will do so per your advice @gamewarden