Safari Virginity --- Gone.

Big Andy

As Michael has alluded to above, for our afternoon excursion I wanted to try for some hippo shots with the mouth wide so Long Pool was the chosen destination followed by a meet up near the Trichela camp site for sun downers. I've always thought the hippo with it's mouth open was one of the classic African images and wanted to have a go at getting one.

Before leaving camp however there was another great image to get and that was provided by Boswell. Wonderful as it is to see him standing like he does it's the fact he's doing it in such beautiful lighting with the smokey blues and majestic trees of the Mana flood plain as a back drop that sets this up as one of my favorites.

22413500007_e2fd58b93c_b.jpg

We did stop at Green Pool on our way and had a quick try for the crocs although they didn't hang around for you to frame that perfect image, slipping quietly back into the water as soon as you were noticed.

23057473362_39c2c77439_b.jpg

Green pool by the way is no longer green, apparently it used to be covered in floating hyacinths but these are no longer there. Whether this is due to natural causes or human intervention Andy didn't know, although it's possible it was the parks authority because the hyacinths are an invasive species.

While I got some images of the hippos with their mouths agape I'll say that none of them really came out as I hoped and I'm sure I can do better WHEN I return.

22652709167_63654e7b17_b.jpg

22805846206_4ae4feec57_b.jpg

23057472982_19f8babc61_b.jpg

23057473162_e10ff1dfed_b.jpg

Leaving Long Pool to go and meet the others for sun downers the light just got better and better so I had to take the opportunity while it lasted for some quick shots. That's the problem with photography in the tropics, the golden hour only lasts ten minutes. ;)

22209126324_471a5520f8_b.jpg

22805846636_c733a53337_b.jpg

23045029826_7aafa420c5_b.jpg

22678798039_872ded1d05_b.jpg

This was our last night on the flood plain, tomorrow we would be heading to Kanga Camp.

The last one is a stunner, Andy - and I remember how happy you were with that shot when we met for sundowners. :)

screentraveller

your starry night impressed my soul. alsoyour poetical description of the sun heading to bed for the night.

@@Big Andy

That last one is really a winner! You should clone out the branches from the upper side, and cut off half of the black space on the bottom, print it and hang it on your wall!

One more Quick Photo Tip: Try flipping the image on the vertical axis; some studies says that the human brain prefers if the subject is moving from left to right !

@@Big Andy What a great trip so far and glad I managed to catch up. Haven't had much time recently but well worth spending some on this. Some beautiful photos in there and some very impressive adventures. Wonderful!

Openmouthed hippos look pretty good to me! I like your emphasis on when you will return - I know I will look forward to your next report.

Love the hippos & that gorgeous ele in the sunset. Good thing you had your camera for that.

"but for some strange reason I didn't use the camera." I actually admire that.

screentraveller

Boswell standing under majestic trees in smokey blues is fairiestory stuff, also the great golden hour shots.

Sorry I've been a bit lax on keeping up with my report, my excuse is I'm trying to put it altogether in a book at that's been taking all my spare time up, I really need to retire that's the answer.

Today we would be heading to Kanga Camp for our last two nights but before leaving I went along the river a few hundred yards with Michael and Andreas to attempt to photograph the Carmine Bee Eaters which were nesting there. I case anyone out there doesn't know it I'll say it now, those bloody birds are quick, very quick. Two shots that I'm pleased with out of nearly three hundred attempts.

22413507077_b1a96c77e0_b.jpg

22640383339_a3be918937_b.jpg

There were other birds to be seen and although I'm not a birder myself I can appreciate them and find them a great challenge to get images of, I take my hat off to the likes of offshorebirder for the quality of his photography.

First up a Squacco Heron stood on a log out in the river.

22210711643_f0680f6cc3_b.jpg

And this Giant Kingfisher which obligingly landed on top of the bank near by.

22413519998_a6272f33d8_b.jpg

While this was going on we said good bye to Michael and Andreas who left for their flight to Hwange to continue their trip. Doug wasn't guiding them for that section so he took us to Kanga where he had two new clients arriving. Our guide Andy Smith, was heading back to Chitake to meet others there so we said our good bye's to him as well. So all change today and a new type of safari was to start, an armchair safari. I did worry whether this would be as good as it sounded on paper or a let down after the fantastic time we had had up to now. Only time would tell.

Edited by Big Andy

For some reason the first carmine photo isn't showing - the second one is great, though!

Removed by Big Andy? Maybe he will try to clone out the branch ...

@@Marks @@xelas

Still showing for me seems a bit odd.

I saw it when you initially posted but balnk now. Don't know how Flikr works but could it be a permissions issue?

2/300 - not bad. Like the others, I don't see your first photo.

2/300 - not bad. Like the others, I don't see your first photo.

Ok I'll repost it here. I can still see the original, I hope others can now see this one.

23505692521_d08a79436a_b.jpg

Edited by Big Andy

And there it is. All very odd how it disappeared earlier.

A magnificent shot @@Big Andy

This is simply a great photo. I want to congratulate you.

It took about an hour to drive to Kanga with Doug in his trusty Landrover and like our other travels away from a water source was virtually devoid of animals. Doug did spot some Cheetah tracks in the dust of the road but no sign of the animals that produced them unfortunately. How a guide can spot a track like that while driving is amazing, I had to look closely after getting out to see them.

We were meet at reception and made to feel very welcome in a comfortable open lounging area overlooking the waterhole with Impala, Warthog, Zebra, Baboon, Kudu, and inevitably Elephant all in residence at the same time a great sight to start our visit. Although we were not being guided by Doug while at Kanga he did just seem to carry on looking out for us, offering to take us on game drive etc. which we thought was very good of him even though we didn't take him up on this, preferring to just sit a relax and watch it all take place right there in front of us.

This little chap looked to be having such a good time I would have loved to join him, although his mum might not of approved.

22643867620_4414fc45c8_b.jpg

Doug also took me under the decking so as I could literally sit at the feet of the elephant while they drank from the small stream supplying the water hole, a truly wonderful experience.

22210715903_b32caf0927_b.jpg

These two youngsters had a bit of a pushing and shoving match but nothing serious and ambled away together after a few minutes.

22439707779_e9b4369db4_b.jpg

This senior citizen turned up frequently for a roll in the mud and reminded me a 1970s rocker who forgot to retire.

22643869180_86f8547379_b.jpg

There really was no shortage of thing going on and it was a great way to unwind after the excitement of the last week or so in a nice comfy arm chair while someone brought you ice cold drinks or just sat and chatted with you about their life living and working at the camp. I don't know if they would normally sit and chat like that but as there were a total of only four guests we were outnumbered by at least three to one by staff giving them the time to spend with us.

More to follow.

Edited by Big Andy

Drinks, chats, and baby elephant water aerobics. Sounds good to me.

Your photo reveals a lot going on in that elephant mouth--quite the intricately designed passageways. Not a view we normally get.

Your photo reveals a lot going on in that elephant mouth--quite the intricately designed passageways. Not a view we normally get.

Agreed - that's a totally fascinating angle.

Agreed - that's a totally fascinating angle.

Any closer and I'd be flossing it.