optig

Are any of us planning for 2017?

187 posts in this topic

In the end I managed to get 3 nights at Tuningi in the Madikwe which looks like a very comfortable lodge and in an area that is new to me. Hopefully the wild dogs will be playful......

3 people like this

@@busyliz welcome! I too am a manic trip planner, but I find with safari that once it's booked, it's all about the waiting. No sights, restaurants, activities to plan. Just packing the bag to go. This thread may help you with first timer questions. It may be more info than you need, but it'll get you started! http://safaritalk.net/topic/9248-first-time-safari-advice/

Your trip sounds wonderful. I have Zambia on the "maybe" list next year so please come back with a trip report!! ;-)

1 person likes this

I’m going to be taking part in a field course at Amani Nature Reserve in Tanzania in a couple of months’ time. I’m thinking about picking up a camera trap before I fly out so I would be interested in recommendations if anyone has any experience using them.

I have a couple of free weeks after the course so I’m hoping to visit a few other NPs whilst I’m out there. Gombe and Selous are on my to do list but it’ll depend on what other people on the course want to do.

1 person likes this

Not Africa, but I have booked a fortnight in New Zealand's South Island in December. Looking forward to kiwi, penguins, parrots and albatross - what an eclectic mix!

5 people like this

On 5/16/2017 at 9:26 PM, Csaba said:
I’m going to be taking part in a field course at Amani Nature Reserve in Tanzania in a couple of months’ time. I’m thinking about picking up a camera trap before I fly out so I would be interested in recommendations if anyone has any experience using them.

I have a couple of free weeks after the course so I’m hoping to visit a few other NPs whilst I’m out there. Gombe and Selous are on my to do list but it’ll depend on what other people on the course want to do.

~ @Csaba

Thank you for providing the very helpful links.

I'd never heard of the Amani Reserve before. The field course sounds fascinating.

What caught my attention about it was the comment that it was “suited to those interested in aquatic ecology, invasive plants and herpetology”.

That's quite a mix. I admire you for discovering the course and for signing up.

I hope that you'll learn a lot and have a great time. May the herps be small and gentle!

Tom K.

1 hour ago, Treepol said:

Not Africa, but I have booked a fortnight in New Zealand's South Island in December. Looking forward to kiwi, penguins, parrots and albatross - what an eclectic mix!

~ @Treepol

You've made a great choice!

In December, 1994 a long-time friend and I spent ten days gradually circumnavigating the South Island.

We drove counterclockwise, stopping here and there, enjoying a wide variety of sights.

To this day, one of the finest trips I've ever made.

Cherry-picking, panning for gold, tuataras, seafood dinners, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Bluff and Dunedin — all splendid.

May your upcoming visit be twice as much fun as mine was!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

@Treepol The NZ south island used to be home - you will have a great time I'm sure. Will you get up to Kaikoura for whale watching?

1 person likes this

@Tom Kellie @pomkiwi I've only been to NZ once before and that was in 1986! I am really looking forward to this return trip, especially as it has a birding focus.

Yes, we have a couple of nights in Kaikoura and we do a pelagic trip out of there, not sure about whale-watching though, maybe on the free half day that I have...

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Treepol said:

@Tom Kellie @pomkiwi I've only been to NZ once before and that was in 1986! I am really looking forward to this return trip, especially as it has a birding focus.

Yes, we have a couple of nights in Kaikoura and we do a pelagic trip out of there, not sure about whale-watching though, maybe on the free half day that I have...

~ @Treepol

Yours truly opted for a morning “swim with dolphins” activity in Kaikoura.

When a curious baby dolphin suddenly appeared less than a half a meter away, I gaped, swallowed water and was in a bad spot.

Fortunately the staff were long accustomed to such reactions, so I was almost instantaneously assisted.

It's a lovely area in its own right with gorgeous hill and ocean views.

As it'll have a birding focus, you're sure to have a great time.

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

@Treepol Sounds as though you have everything sorted - but another free day spent looking for Hectors dolphins from Banks Penninsular would be fun :-)

Edited by pomkiwi
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, pomkiwi said:

@Treepol Sounds as though you have everything sorted - but another free day spent looking for Hectors dolphins from Banks Penninsular would be fun :-)

~ @pomkiwi

Your memory is excellent! I'd forgotten all about them.

The short ride out also includes impressive hole-in-the-wall sea caves.

There are lovely French restaurants in Akaroa.

Tom K.

Well, have put in another tour in 2017. 
A great travel year! 

4 mars - 19 mars.

Borneo.

5 nights Deramakot in search for Clouded Leopard, Marbled cat, Leopard cat and whatever we find.

3 nights Kinabatangan with focus an findin Flat headed cat.

DONE!

2 June - 6 June.

Iceland

Puffins and Whales.

DONE!

9 July - 24 July.

South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland

Marrick for Black footed cat, Aardwolf, Aardvark, Smiths red rock rabbit and whatever we find.

Khwai, Okavango. 5 nights camping in private concession. Focus on Wild dogs and finding Roan and Sable Antelope which I still not have seen. It will be cool to finally see a kill as well after having seen many failed huntings.

Swaziland just for fun to "collect" countries :)

DONE!

3 October - 17 October

China, Sichuan province

Focus on finding Red Panda, Golden Takin, Snub-nosed monkey, Tibetan fox, Tibetan gazelle, Chinese mountain cat, Pallas cat, Wolves, Asiatic Black bear and alot of other cool stuff.

26 December - 31 December

Western Sahara (Morocco)

Sand cat mission. Gong to search for the elusive Sand cat for 3 days, Hopefully also finding some Dorca Gazelle, Fennec fox, Ruppells fox, Desert hedgehog, Jerboas etc. etc.

Have fun year out there everybody!

4 people like this