optig

Are any of us planning for 2017?

187 posts in this topic

@@michael-ibk Ah, I'm jealous you will be doing Guassa which we gave up but so glad you will get to do it - and 5 nights at Bale, fantastic!

3 people like this

My 2017 is settled. :-)

Ethiopia in March

3 nts Guassa

3 nts Awash/Ali Degha

2 nts Lake Langano

5 nts Bale

Wow sounds perfect! Just the sort of itinerary I was wanting to do. Hoping that there will still be some wolves left for you to see!

2 people like this

@@kittykat23uk

I hope so. Was thinking about postponing this trip, waiting for the wolf population to rebound. But who knows if they do, and if it comes to the worst it could be kind of a "last chance". :(

2 people like this

@@michael-ibk @@kittykat23uk yup - as Michael knows and he and I have discussed, I had the same concerns though I had already planned my trip to see them which will take place one month prior to his before hearing the devastating news about the wolves. My husband and I decided for the same reasons to continue with the trip and really hoping the wolves will be there and be rebounding. Poor wolves :(

3 people like this

Unfortunately I read 'Stripes of Wild India' by @@michael-ibk @@Atravelynn and @@AndMic

Shouldn't have done that. Then I emailed Atravelynn for some advice and then Vikram at World Wild India and now it's off to Kaziranga and Tadoba in February. I am going with a friend who only has 10 days off so we will limit the number of parks.

4 people like this

Unfortunately I read 'Stripes of Wild India' by @@michael-ibk @@Atravelynn and @@AndMic

Shouldn't have done that. Then I emailed Atravelynn for some advice and then Vikram at World Wild India and now it's off to Kaziranga and Tadoba in February. I am going with a friend who only has 10 days off so we will limit the number of parks.

Perhaps the Warden should ban "Stripes" like some school boards are trying to do with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I am glad you got an itinerary together. Great combo!

Maybe I can meet up with another safaritalker in Ndutu in 2017 like I did Sverker in 2016 and Sangeeta in 2014.

Before getting to specifics, it must first be declared that I am a crazy lady. I am a crazy lady for whom there is no hope when it comes to Africa travel. That's why I am returning yet again to Ndutu and Serengeti in 2017.

Thought I'd try a Ndutu Split. It's similar to a banana split but without the chocolate sauce or calories. It is also a little pricier than any banana split I've ever had.

Feb 8 Arrive Ndutu late afternoon

Feb 9, 10 In Ndutu

Feb 11, 12, 13 Kusini in Serengeti

Feb 14, 15, 16, 17, depart on 18 in morning for JRO

Hope to cross paths with if you are in the area! Please let me know.

4 people like this

March 2017

2 weeks in the DRC and the Mara

July / August 2017

4 weeks in Botswana (Khwai) and ZA (KTP, KNP)

October 2017

2 weeks in Mana Pools

December 2017 / January 2018

2 1/2 weeks in ZA (KNP) and Botswana (not yet sure where, but in one of the private concessions)

4 people like this

What are your dates in Mana Pools, @@ice ? I´m there Oct 17th to Oct 24th.

@@michael-ibk

I don't know yet - I am hoping that Doug McDonald will be offering a trip similiar to those he seems to have conducted in the past and will conduct this year

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@michael-ibk

I don't know yet - I am hoping that Doug McDonald will be offering a trip similiar to those he seems to have conducted in the past and will conduct this year

Have you contacted Doug? If he knows he has at least one interested party, then the likelihood of another trip would go up. You may also get to help shape that trip too. Maybe recruit some fellow ST members? I went with wilddog and bluebird on a Doug trip last year.

@@michael-ibk @@kittykat23uk yup - as Michael knows and he and I have discussed, I had the same concerns though I had already planned my trip to see them which will take place one month prior to his before hearing the devastating news about the wolves. My husband and I decided for the same reasons to continue with the trip and really hoping the wolves will be there and be rebounding. Poor wolves :(

If everyone waited for a rebound, then no tourism, no money funneling into the area, and the downward spiral could continue. So you are helping the poor wolves. Fortunately, I believe visitor #s are stable because lodging at Bale was not easy to get.

@@kittykat23uk

I hope so. Was thinking about postponing this trip, waiting for the wolf population to rebound. But who knows if they do, and if it comes to the worst it could be kind of a "last chance". :(

Let's hope our trip coincides with "The Year of the Wolf" and a rebound in numbers!

Edited by Atravelynn
4 people like this

Having had a fantastic safari last year in Tanzania( Selous, Ruaha, Katavi, Serengeti - report posted in Trip reports , Tanzania ), we have now decided our next safari will be ( provisionally ) to Zambia in 2017.

We are thinking of two weeks maximum -most likely to be South Luangwa and Kafue.

We have never been to Zambia before ( other than Victoria Falls), so would welcome comments, advice , suggestions, tips, etc , regarding locations, camps,time of year , etc.

Early days yet but two things are decided for definite, we will be booking it with ATR and the maximum budget, excluding international flights, will be around £6000 ($9000) per person.

All suggestions welcome, please.....

2 people like this

2017 - hopefully, my first trip to South America ............ No plans, yet!!!! cross fingers! Maybe Jordon/ Iran too - let's see!

Might bump into you @@madaboutcheetah Patagonia/Brazil for us in Feb/ March 2017. Pen

2017 - hopefully, my first trip to South America ............ No plans, yet!!!! cross fingers! Maybe Jordon/ Iran too - let's see!

Might bump into you @@madaboutcheetah Patagonia/Brazil for us in Feb/ March 2017. Pen

Might be planning for later in 2017, @@penolva - September/October somewhere in that time frame.

1 person likes this

@@Julian

We went to South Luangwa in Late August 2013 - it was wonderful. We chose that time because it was dry and getting hot but not reaching the very high temperatures of Late September/October (we did some walking so didn't want it to hot)

We stayed at Pobin Pope Camps (Nkwali, Nsefu, 2 nights bush camping/walking, Tena Tena) They we all excellent - and we saw lots of Leopards! (My first trip report is in the Zambia Section)

I believe that there are a number of very good camps in South Luangwa - ATR has good photos of them - you might also lookat the Expert Africa website as it has a bit more text about the camps - including some on typical pattern of the day. It all helps to choose one that suits you.

I think South Luangwa is an excellent place to go. We haven't been to Kafue - but it also looks like a great place to go and very appealing

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Tony Q - all very helpful to know.

( I have now reposted my questions as a separate post in this forum- it will be easier for others to see and reply to )

Edited by Julian
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@Atravelynn if you want to go to Tswalu Kalahari, I would go directly to their website and depending on the season, book it one year in advance. They will also book your flights from either Cape town or Joburg;They have their own private lear jet. Don't forget that if you book 10 days they will give you the last two days for free regardless of the season. I regret not noticing your post earlier I would have responded sooner.

I'm already planning for 2018 because I want to stay at Selinda Explorer's Camp in Botswana. One has to book it a minimum of one year in advance due to the fact that it only has 4 tents.There is no doubt that Selinda Explorer's Camp offers the most outstanding wilderness experiences in Africa. it not only offers outstanding game viewing especially of wild dogs, it only also offers the options of canoeing and walking.

Edited by optig
2 people like this

I'm in the finalizing the itinerary/getting the trekking permits phase now. My safari pal has decided to join me on the Rwanda Gorillas/Return to the Mara safari in Feb 2017. SO EXCITED!

1 person likes this

Woohoo. I am heading back to Mana pools in Aug 2017 with a side dish of Hwange this time. Two nights in Vic Falls, 3 nights in Hwange, 2 Chitake and 4 on the Manaflood plain. All mobile camps with Doug M. I understand Chikwenya has been sold with plans for a rebuild and luxury camp. Sad for me as I prefer to spend big bucks on a mobile private came rather than a lodge/permanent camp. Still, swapping Chikwenya for Chitake is no hardship! Good news though for those that like a bit of luxury with their wild dog sightings.

1 person likes this

@@amybatt what dates in Feb will you be in Rwanda? We'll be doing two gorilla treks in Feb also!

@@SafariChick, if it goes as the proposed itinerary, we arrive 12th Feb, do golden monkey trekking the 14th and gorillas the 15th and 16th. When are you there? That would be a hoot to see you there!

@@amybatt oh too funny - I think our two treks are on the 11th and 12th! we arrive late the night of the 9th and stay in Kigali, then drive on the 10th to Musanze and stay overnight - no treks that day, just acclimating. Then treks on the 11th and 12th and fly out morning of the 13th to Kenya.

Posted (edited)

@@Atravelynn if you want to go to Tswalu Kalahari, I would go directly to their website and depending on the season, book it one year in advance. They will also book your flights from either Cape town or Joburg;They have their own private lear jet. Don't forget that if you book 10 days they will give you the last two days for free regardless of the season. I regret not noticing your post earlier I would have responded sooner. Hard to keep up with everything--easy to miss a question.

A while back I did contact Tswala via their website but got no response. Strangely I find about 1/3 of the time I contact providers directly with a concrete and serious request, I get no response. I have not tried again with Tswala, but often I make 2-3 attempts with various camps/lodges/agents and zip, nada, nothing.

When I am ready to visit, I will certainly try again. Thanks for the 2 free day reminder!

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Julian I urge you to go to Zambia because you will love South Luangwa National Park.It is along with Northern Botswana one of my two favorite safari destinations.I've already been there three times and I'm already planning to return in 2018. The combination of night drives and walking safaris simply cannot be beat.I enjoyed the small owner owned camps.The guiding is excellent and so of course is the profusion of wildlife and birding.There is a wide variety of Scenery.I guarantee that you will love it.

2 people like this

@@Julian I urge you to go to Zambia because you will love South Luangwa National Park.It is along with Northern Botswana one of my two favorite safari destinations.I've already been there three times and I'm already planning to return in 2018. The combination of night drives and walking safaris simply cannot be beat.I enjoyed the small owner owned camps.The guiding is excellent and so of course is the profusion of wildlife and birding.There is a wide variety of Scenery.I guarantee that you will love it.

Thanks for this Optig, ive reposted my questions in the main part of this forum, as it will be hard to follow in among the many posts in this one.

I am hoping to plan a hike of Kilimanjaro to start and then end w/ 10 days of safari in Tanz in 2017. We will see if it comes to fruition.

If that doesn't work out, I may see if I can swing a solo trip to either SA or Kenya/Tanz. All are on my list of to-do's and I have trouble finding other single (or not) travel companions with both vacation and money. It always seems like we have either plenty of time and no money or plenty of money and no time :D