optig

Are any of us planning for 2017?

187 posts in this topic

@@optig - good thinking planning ahead for 2017 for those places that are selling like hotcakes! best book a spot especially when your heart is set on those places.

I don't even have plans for 2016, let alone 2017. gotta wait on how well my "senior" citizens do - a dog turning 15 in January with cushing's disease, a dog turning 13 next year with a bad hind leg and spinal problems (just discovered), and a 80+-year old mum in law.

plenty of ideas floating but hard to pin them down because of the senior family members. and i get crazy envious when i read about safari plans.... maybe i should stay away from planning threads.

Posted (edited)

@@pault I wouldn't say I'm really cured because I like using Chrome and so I'm continuing to use it with ST even though it's not functioning properly. I did just check if it was the latest version and saw it said I needed to relaunch Chrome to get latest. I got excited, tried it and ... still exactly the same issues!

Edited by SafariChick
2 people like this

2017, hopefully it will be our last BIG trip.

Zambia, a little Zimbabwe and Botswana finishing down in Cape Town.

If time and wallet allows, maybe back to Kenya and Tanzania.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind suggesting some out of the way places of interest in the above 3 coutries,

and Merry Christmas to you all.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just put down the deposit on the February 2017 trip for my husband and I! It will be 4 nights Ethiopia at Bale Mountain Lodge, 4 nights in Rwanda with two of them at Jack Hanna's cottage and two gorilla treks (other two nights just in Kigali to accommodate arrival and departure) and 4 nights Laikipia Wilderness Camp. Sadly, ended up cutting out the additional time in Ethiopia we had considered at Guassa as it really had us gone a long time from home. With 3 days of travel and 12 nights in Africa, this itinerary makes our time away from our teens a more manageable 15 nights. Super excited!

Edited by SafariChick
6 people like this

@@SafariChick...very exciting!

1 person likes this

Not a safari exactly, but my wife and I just signed up for a week-long photography workshop in the Everglades and Big Cypress next February, which should be fun and hopefully educational.

I had hoped to go to India in 2017, but my wife doesn't want to take malaria pills next year - so hopefully 2018 or 2019. I then suggested either a return to Australia or going to New Zealand, but it looks like getting more than 2 consecutive weeks of vacation may be a challenge for her, and those countries are far enough away it's tough to only go for 2 weeks. So now I think we might go visit the (Canadian) Rockies - I've re-read @@Jochen's report from a few years ago, unfortunately the pictures don't seem to be available any more, but there's definitely some good info to start from.

Either Mana Pools or Kruger during Zim school holiday time for me in 2017. Baja this fall. Alaska to Ushuaia planning for 2024 :D

1 person likes this

Gamewatchers Safaritalk Special in Kenya I think!

Kgalagadi has been on my wish list for several years and I had initially thought of doing that in May and possibly northern Tanzania in September, but now........need to choose between February/March and October for Kenya.

I really will have to cut back on my visits to a certain website!

3 people like this

~ @@Seniortraveller

The Gamewatchers Safaritalk specials have likewise stirred my interest.

After the highly favorable visit last month to both the Nairobi Tented Camp and Porini Lion, the Gamewatchers itinerary is attractive.

I'm also kicking around Kidepo National Park in Uganda, and Jawai in Rajasthan, India.

I wouldn't cross off a return to Leopard Hills.

At this point, all dreams...but much may change before 2017's advent.

Tom K.

2 people like this

I really will have to cut back on my visits to a certain website!

Don't cut back too much or you might miss out on other special offers ;)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

we are! first time family safari in july 2017. kids will be 13 and 15. kenya.

1 night ska

4 nights sosian lodge

3 nights kicheche laikipia

4 nights kicheche mara

still trying to figure out if we should add a few nights at the end on the beach somewhere. am so excited reading all the trip reports and seeing the amazing photos.

Edited by plambers
4 people like this

meant ska

I'm looking forward to Panama in May 2017, and then maybe Gamewatchers Safaritalk Special in October(?)

1 person likes this

@@plambers Congrats! Forgive my ignorance, but what is ska?

Israel and Santorini for us in 2017...then back to a Safari in 2018...Tanzania or Namibia.

Posted (edited)

That is a mystery: I decided long ago that in Feb 2017 I will do something but not Africa. For the last two weeks I was checking tours, reading itineraries, watching videos...and today I found myself exchanging emails with Julie (my Porini camps agent). I guess, I might be going back to Mara (knock on wood) lol

Edited by bettel
2 people like this

I am hoping that 2017 will be the year I finally do a Serengeti self drive, July-August period - I have wanted to do that for quite a while now. I'm already planning in detail and getting very excited! I will probably complement that with a trip to the Mara. Perhaps in November 2017 if I can get time off work.

4 people like this

I've decided to do non-safari for the rest of 2016 (Cuba and a quick jaunt to Europe) but am contemplating going back to Africa in Jan-Feb 2017. Mara is calling me again but also I am really kicking around the idea of gorillas in Rwanda. Part of the decision lies with whether I can recruit my safari friend Kim to do the gorillas with me or if I'm going it alone. This gives me something to research for now anyway.

@@bettel, good for you! Think how nice it'll be to have that to look forward to when you return from there this autumn!!! ;-)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2017 - hopefully, my first trip to South America ............ No plans, yet!!!! cross fingers! Maybe Jordon/ Iran too - let's see!

Edited by madaboutcheetah
2 people like this

@@madaboutcheetah

Iran? Cheetah?

2 people like this

@safarichik-sorry but multitasking-meant Eka!

@@plambers Oh, Eka - ok, I know what that is!

My 2017 is settled. :-)

Ethiopia in March

3 nts Guassa

3 nts Awash/Ali Degha

2 nts Lake Langano

5 nts Bale

1 nt Hawassa

Kafue/Mana Pools in October

1 nt Pioneer Lodge

3 nts Konkomoya Lodge

7 nts Musekese (incl. 3 nts mobile camping Busanga)

1 nt Pioneer Lodge

5 nts Flood Plains mobile

2 nts Chikwenya

10 people like this

Well I only have one 2017 trip planned so far :) and its not safari, but its birding in Cuba--that will be February. So now its time to start thinking about something more safari-ish for later in the year, most likely July or August. Reading this thread to get some ideas :) We have Kenya coming up in Sept 2016. So hmmm. Toying with Zambia or Namibia...

@@amybatt curious how you are doing Cuba...independently or with a group, and what's the focus?

@@janzin, it's still tough to go independently for us, we need a full schedule of activities when we get there, we can't just go and wing it. So I'm going with Overseas Adventure Travel. It's a group of 17 and the activities lean toward the cultural like meeting artists, musicians, dancers, gallery and museum visits. Havana, Cienfuegos and Trinidad are the cities we're staying in over the 12 days, with stops in smaller towns. It was the one time going as a single traveler paid off as they only had one spot left on an October departure, and that was it for capacity this year. Next year the same tour is +$2000! I bet the birding there will be great. I saw a similar tour from Nat Hab but it didn't hit some of the cultural things I wanted to do (I'm a huge museum geek in real life). You'll have a great time there in Feb!

I saw Namibia on a CNN travel show last night (Bill someone?) and it looked fabulous. I had to turn it off though when they brought the rich trophy hunter in to thin out the old and impotent black rhinos... I'm still kicking around Uganda for Feb, many itineraries, spoiled for choice.

1 person likes this