optig

Are any of us planning for 2017?

187 posts in this topic

When planning for 2016 I began to realize that some of the places I wanted to visit were already booked in advance for the time I wanted to visit. Thus, I am already in the process of making plans for 2017.

I want to visit Tswalu Kalahari for ten days to take advantage of the pay for four days and get the fifth day free. This is also the only place where I stand a good chance of seeing pangolin and caracal which have long been on my list of dream animals.

I discovered that during the time I wanted to go, I needed to book way in advance. I'd also like to visit Katavi for three nights, Mahale for four nights and stay at Greystoke Mahale Camp for three nights. Again, it is necessary to book this camp long in advance.

I'd like to know if there are any other safari talkers who have had the experience of needing to book a camp during the high season long in advance. I can think of some of the smaller camps in Botswana. Furthermore, as we all know it is necessary to purchase a gorilla trekking permit at least one year in advance.

2 people like this

Nope!

~ I'm not even certain that I'll be alive and kicking in 2017, let alone considering where I might be visiting.

Hats off to those who prudently plan that far in advance.

May your savings be considerable and may you get rooms with the finest view!

Tom K.

5 people like this

@@optig

Yes! Plan as early as possible!

1 person likes this

I'm in the process of planning a complicated 3-country trip which includes Rwanda for gorillas for February 2017! One challenge is not being able to book or even see the exact international flights until 11 months prior to flying so am trying to plan an itinerary looking at a dummy plan of flights that is based on what flights are showing now for February 2016, and hoping the same ones will show up for February 2017. I haven't put down deposits yet but know all the places I want to stay - in process of determining when deposits will be made and, if sooner than international flights are booked, whether dates could be changed slightly if the flights don't work out as we think!

5 people like this

I am.

I noted that in the "who's planning for 2016" forum.

I'm new. First-timer. Trying to figure out which questions to ask by reading, reading, reading.
I'm pretty overwhelmed. REALLY overwhelmed.

I'll be going to Tanzania in February, 2017 with my wife and another couple.

I'll let you know what questions I have and more about me as I finally come to a place where I don't feel like I have questions about questions. hehe.

DrToonz.

3 people like this

Like @@SafariChick, we are close to booking Rwanda, for us in late January 2017.

1 person likes this

My family doctor prescribed me one visit to Africa per year :wub: !

In 2017 back to Namibia, this time with 2 ladies :) (we have invited our daughter along)! Erongo, Damaraland and Etosha. April/May, 2 weeks. Self driving, no camping, lot of photography ...

6 people like this

My family doctor prescribed me one visit to Africa per year :wub: !

In 2017 back to Namibia, this time with 2 ladies :) (we have invited our daughter along)! Erongo, Damaraland and Etosha. April/May, 2 weeks. Self driving, no camping, lot of photography ...

~ @@xelas

Such a kindly physician deserves a healthy tip...for having offered you such a healthy tip.

Tom K.

2 people like this

@@Tom Kellie

Got your tip! I will buy her a chocolate today :D ... maybe I will even left half to her (as eating chocolate is unhealthy ... for women :P ).

It is always useful to have a kindly physician ... at arm's length :) .

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@Alexander33 are you planning to book your gorilla trekking permits and lodging prior to getting international airline tickets? That is one of my dilemmas. I have a route planned out as to which country to go to first, second and third and have looked at the flights that currently exist for February 2016 and, assuming all those flights are the same in 2017, have figured what dates I would be where but who knows if the airlines will have different flights in February 2017?

Also, for no apparent reason, in the middle of typing this, Safaritalk suddenly changed my font from the default one to this very small one and isn't seeming to let me click on any of the boxes above my typing to, for instance, change the font! But weirdly, when I hit post, it comes out looking normal. Anyone else having that issue?

Edited by SafariChick

@@SafariChick

Yes, that's my intention. I haven't completed the process yet, but I always wait until my safari is booked before I purchase the airline tickets.

From the sound of it, yours is a more difficult dilemma than mine, as I think we're going to keep things simple and just do Rwanda. If it were me, in order to build in a buffer, I might try to ensure that my connecting stopovers didn't end with a safari lodge, but rather just a hotel in the city of your airport connection, and then you could proceed on to your safari destination the next morning. That way if airline schedules change to your detriment (or if your flight is delayed), you'd still have a greater chance of making your safari destination intact -- if that makes sense.

We're doing that anyway. Currently airline schedules for us show us arriving in Kigali at 2:30 in the afternoon. We will just spend the night in Kigali, before going on to Volcanoes National Park the next day, and we won't have a gorilla trek until after our second night there -- just to be sure!

Of course, I say all this not knowing the particulars of the adventure you are trying to plan!

1 person likes this

@@Alexander33 well it's currently 7 nights in a couple different places in Ethiopia, then a late night flight to Kigali and overnight in Kigali, then same as you're planning, we'd drive to Musanze the next day and not do a trek until the day after. So that should work out. Then after second gorilla trek, plan is to spend a night in Kigali again and take an early morning flight to Nairobi, and spend the afternoon and night in Nairobi and then 4 more days in Kenya. So it should all work out I think. Though the present problem is we're trying to figure out if we can really be away from home (and work) that long! It would be 16 nights on the ground in Africa and 3 days/nights of travelling there and back.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

@@SafariChick

That sounds workable to me.

I certainly feel your pain! So far, in order to make my absence from work palatable to those who help ensure I can pay for these jaunts, I've only been able to manage a full two work weeks, plus an initial Thursday afternoon/Friday fudge -- 17 nights max.

I really wanted to pair this with the northern Serengeti, but it just got too cramped, so we'll have to push the Serengeti to another time.

Can't wait to hear how it all works out for you. I enjoy planning trips almost as much as taking them.

Edited by Alexander33

@@optig, you mentioned the 2 places where I booked 2 years out--gorilla permits at prime time and small Botswana camps.

You also mentioned Tswala. Looking at their website bookings, I can see they are booked up well in advance. I emailed them using their booking form and never heard anything. (I only get responses from about 1/3 of those booking form things on any website). How did you connect with Tswala? Thanks.

No font problems, @@SafariChick.

1 person likes this

@@Alexander33 We are considering cutting out the Kenya part and saving that for another time. That would make it much more manageable! It's just that my husband doesn't come to Africa that often with me so I was trying to fit in everything at once. But in addition to work issues, we also have teens at home still - by 2017 one will be in her senior year and one her freshman year - kind of hate to leave them for more than two weeks! Once they are out of the house, it will be easier. Will post when we figure out exactly what we're doing!

@@Atravelynn it's so odd, now every time I write a post while I am typing it is showing in small Courier type font but once I hit post it looks normal. And I can't click on the quote symbol or emoticon or anything!

1 person likes this

Is there a safaritalk Geek squad that could zip to your rescue, @@SafariChick?

Posted (edited)

@@Atravelynn don't know! But the even stranger thing, I've realized, is that it is only happening to me in this thread!

Edited to add it is NOT only happening to me in this thread now - it's moved with me to other threads - agggh! @@Game Warden or other moderators, any ideas?

Edited by SafariChick

dooo dooo dooo dooo

dooo dooo dooo dooo

That's supposed to be the Twilight Zone theme, @@SafariChick.

3 people like this

@@SafariChick

I can't quote, copy/paste, upload pictures or put links into posts on safaritalk anymore (from work that is - as we use IE). I can from home on Firefox, but so rarely have time at home.

Posted (edited)

@@ZaminOz Hmmm ... I'm using Chrome - I should try using Safari --- edited to say --- aha, I'm using safari and everything looks normal and works - no strange font and I can access emoticons! :)

Edited by SafariChick
1 person likes this

@@SafariChick ... Glad you are cured. Did you check you had the latest version of Chrome first? I thought it was supposed to be the most Safaritalk friendly browser.

I have similar problems but they are because I am using a very old browser at work. I suspect this is similar to the problems @@ZaminOz is having. More and more issues keep coming along as it gets more outdated and I can't update the browser myself or install another.

Same here as @@pault and @@ZaminOz , lots of things on ST don´t work in the office.

@@michael-ibk

Surely "work in the office" and "Safaritalk" is a contradiction in terms?

3 people like this

Well, let's just say I used to be much more efficient in those dark pre-ST days. :)

7 people like this