Show us your brown hyena...

Game Warden

Please include when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent information from the sighting...

• 5 months later...
Game Warden

Some of you must have brown hyena images to post here.

the last shot is of a (video) sequence, a fantastic interaction between the jackal, the brown hyena and a spotted hyena, easily one of the highlights of our 2015 KTP trip

Game Warden

@@ice Fantastic sighting and capture.

I'm afraid that I can't match the quality above but here is my attempt to maintain momentum on this forum

Madikwe, Jan 2016

gallery_47987_1480_85328.jpg

gallery_47987_1480_72535.jpg

Don't sell yourself short @@lmSA84 ! Lovely pics, what took down the kudu?

Edited by Big_Dog

Thanks @@Big_Dog

It is was taken down in the late afternoon of the previous day, by a young male leopard. The Kudu was substantially bigger then the leopard and as such he couldn't move it from where it fell.

• 3 months later...
theplainswanderer

In going to Namibia recently I had considered the potential of seeing a Brown Hyena however realised the odds were very slim given their generally nocturnal habits and scarcity. Whilst on a Game drive at Okonjima we had found a huge and old male leopard - he was at a kill although we couldnt actually see the kill itself in a ditch below him - suddenly someone said "theres a Hyena over there" - thinking Spotted we turned only to see it was a Brown Hyena! it was sitting/lying quietly about 10 metres from the leopard. Our guide managed to manouvre as close as possible to it and even he commented how rarely he had seen one in the daylight. Given the leopards kill it would be patiently waiting for the leopard to finish. I managed a few shots - unfortunately he was'nt inclined to stand up!

Another great moment on our safari in Namibia!

Canon EOS 7D Mark 2

100-400 Mark 2

cheers

David Taylor

PS - one shot of the Leopard which was also amazing - a very battle scarred and old leopard!

post-47774-0-89765700-1470087673_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-54299300-1470087683_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-52033400-1470087689_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-58090300-1470088320_thumb.jpg

post-47774-0-36674300-1470088599_thumb.jpg

I've only seen a brown hyena once,and that was eight years ago . I saw it at Madikwe National Park. I doubt that I'll ever see one again for a wide variety of reason.

theplainswanderer

I will do a review - just haven't got to it yet!

Cheers!

David Taylor

Morkel Erasmus

Great sightings and pic folks.

Truly a treat to see - with a face only a mother could love :rolleyes:

The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park has been good to me with these blokes in the past.

These two photos from separate sightings in January 2016

post-14617-0-12806100-1470218450_thumb.jpg

post-14617-0-34253100-1470218664_thumb.jpg