Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What photographic equipment do you own?

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

Poll: Which camera do you take on safari? (118 member(s) have cast votes)

Which camera do you take on safari?

1. Digital zoom compact (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

2. Digital SLR (77 votes [65.25%])

Percentage of vote: 65.25%

3. 35mm SLR (2 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

4. DVD / Video (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Combination of above (29 votes [24.58%])

Percentage of vote: 24.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,997 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

So who's buying new gear? Now that Twaffle has her 7D, is anyone else upgrading?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#42 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

So who's buying new gear? Now that Twaffle has her 7D, is anyone else upgrading?

I will confess.

Have pre-ordered a 1d Mark IV. Should be arriving by mid-late December :o

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#43 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

I am seriously considering upgrading both my DSLRs by replacing the Pentax K10D with the K-7 and the Pentax *istDs with the K-x.

Just waiting for prices to come down a little from the original release price.
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#44 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 PM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:12 AM

I'll be buying my wife a new Canon body between now and our trip in February. Need an upgrade from her basic digital Rebel. Any recommendations for an upgrade that does not need to be professional quality? Her lenses include the 100-400 IS, an older 70-200 (to be replaced soon by a 55-250), a macro (don't remember the specifics), and a wide-angle (24 mm; 2.8).

Me? I get permission to use the point and shoot.
One pangolin to rule them all......

#45 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

Assuming that you are sticking with Canon, I would assume that the logical upgrades would be to either the EOS 500D or the EOS 50D. Depends which features are most important to you and Mrs Pangolin:

http://www.dpreview....o...0d&show=all
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#46 Wild Dogger

Wild Dogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

I received my new Canon EOS 7D last week and will be using it on my coming trip to Botswana (Lagoon, Lebala, Nxai Pan) and South Africa (Kruger NP) starting Nov., 6th.
Had two 40Ds so far and will be selling one and taking one with me, so I wonīt have to change lenses on the game drives.
Thomas
Safaris and Ketchup are similar, sometimes you shake the bottle of Ketchup and nothing comes out, you shake and shake and shake and all of a sudden everything pops out.
So donīt stop shaking the bottle, thereīs a lot inside.

#47 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,803 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

We can compare notes! What lenses are you taking on safari?

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#48 Wild Dogger

Wild Dogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

I will carry a Canon EF300mm L IS f2.8, a Canon EF 70-200mm LIS 2.8, 2x Teleconverter. Tamron 28-75mm and a Sigma wide angle, plus Feisol tripod and a lot of stuff. A heavy bag :D
Thomas
Safaris and Ketchup are similar, sometimes you shake the bottle of Ketchup and nothing comes out, you shake and shake and shake and all of a sudden everything pops out.

#49 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

We will expect some great photos on your return! :D

#50 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

I now have the 5D mkII as well and the 1Ds mkIII. So thats it for me.. but I also got a 100mm canon macro lens, but have been battling with it so much that I have ordered the twin head macro flash.

I wanna take some good Bug photos soon.

Hey Wild Dogger, maybe we meet in Kruger. I am working on making a trip there next week.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#51 Wild Dogger

Wild Dogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Letīs cross fingers that the weather forecastīs not coming true.
They expect heavy rainfalls and thunderstorms :D in Northern Botswana on 7th November with up to 40l/m.
Open vehicle with no roof like in Kwando does not sound like too much fun. Letīs hope & see.

#52 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Dikdik, hope you're catching up with Tony. Enjoy Kruger.

#53 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

Its arrived.. My twin Macro flash.. Guess who is going to the insect park for the weekend?

OH and Kruger trip booked and we are going. Yep, Hope to see Tony. I will bring big steak and lots of beers.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#54 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

… and lots of beers.

Yep, you've got Aussie Tony well tagged. Say G'Day!

#55 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

After trying several combinations of cameras and lenses I now take a Canon 30D with 24-105 lens and a 40D with 100-400 lens. I take about 40GB of compact flash cards in 16, 8 and 4GB sizes as I shoot in RAW and a back-up Hyperspace data bank. The gear travels in an ordinary LoweAlpine rucksack wrapped in clothing and I always carry a compact camera in a shirt pocket, currently a Panasonic TZ4.

I've tried travelling with padded camera bags but they take up needed space as they are rarely are usable for anything else. When at home I use a Kata 3N1-30 bag and carry more lenses, cleaning gear etc. On the expeditions I just take a Rocket blower and lots of microfibre cloths.

Oh and I carry a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and geotag my photos.

My next camera will be a 7D but I'll wait for the price to come down a bit more.
Homo sapiens are intelligent enough to destroy the Earth -- but not intelligent enough not to.

#56 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Oh and I carry a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and geotag my photos.

How are your experiences with the Oregon?

During my recent trip in Zambia I met two people who had an Oregon. I found the touch screen quite nice, but one guy told me that the device is a real battery eater. The second guy had a real problem - he couldn't download his recorded tracks from the device, only waypoints. I found myself sitting in a office in the middle of the bush in front of a Vista laptop (arrrghh) trying to help. We tried to download tracks from my 60CSx and it worked, so the problem couldn't be Mapsource but must have something to do with the Oregon's firmware. We checked the web but he was using the latest software versions, and we couldn't solve the problem. I recommended him to contact Garmin Support. Did you experience any similar problems?

#57 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

How are your experiences with the Oregon?

Previously I had an eTrex Legend CX but broke the tiny on-off switch, so high on my priorities was the big button on the Oregon. As a GPS it is OK. I have dry skin so all touch screens can be a pain for me to operate, but it infinitely beats the joystick on the eTrex. The screen is clear and the sensitivity is OK but I cannot see increased accuracy in WAAS mode. I like its ability to keep tracks going when under trees or between tall buildings.

During my recent trip in Zambia I met two people who had an Oregon. I found the touch screen quite nice, but one guy told me that the device is a real battery eater.

I didn't think the battery life was so bad. I use the recommended lithium cells and they usually last a full day left on all the time. Maybe that is battery eating but it didn't seem that different from the eTrex or the 60's we used on the expeditions.

The second guy had a real problem - he couldn't download his recorded tracks from the device, only waypoints... <snip> ... Did you experience any similar problems?

Garmin are quite slow to update their software to talk to new models. I use a Mac and have never succeeded in downloading tracks from any GPS so I don't even try. I just put the GPS in mass storage device mode and manually copy the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file that it creates. That contains all tracks and waypoints and is read by most geotagging software.
Homo sapiens are intelligent enough to destroy the Earth -- but not intelligent enough not to.

#58 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

I just put the GPS in mass storage device mode and manually copy the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file that it creates. That contains all tracks and waypoints and is read by most geotagging software.

Great hint, thanks. I didn't know that this works on the Oregon. Will send the info to Zambia...

#59 whorty1970

whorty1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

To add one more to the Nikon camp...

I now use a Nikon D90 with Sigma 150-500, Tamron 18-270, Tamron 70-300 (for Macro), Nikon 18-105 kit. Planning to get a secondhand D80 so don't have to change lenses in the bush.

Would love a the Nikon 200-400 lens and 1.4 tele-conv as this combo seems to be THE Nikon setup for wildlife, but I think I'll need to win the lottery first!

Previously I used a Panny FZ18 (great bridge camera) which Mrs Whorty now uses to great effect.

:D 

#60 sundowner

sundowner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Local time: 11:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

Russell, did you get your new camera yet? How do you like it?

I have Canon. Now I use a mark2n and a 40d, 500, 300/2.8, 100-400, 70-200/2.8, 24-70, 16-35 & 10-22. The worst part is traveling alone and have to choose what to take. With the new airline/security troubles I'm not looking forward to flying at all.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.