See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What photographic equipment do you own?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Poll: Which camera do you take on safari? (143 member(s) have cast votes)

Which camera do you take on safari?

1. Digital zoom compact (12 votes [8.39%])

Percentage of vote: 8.39%

2. Digital SLR (96 votes [67.13%])

Percentage of vote: 67.13%

3. 35mm SLR (2 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

4. DVD / Video (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Combination of above (33 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,478 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

I slipped in the EOS 30 and another analogue camera that is now obsolete. The truth be said, I have to share these with my wife or she shares them with me. You would be surprised how much you can fit in a shoulder bag when you try. I take two cameras to the farm all the time. I also always take my notebook with me as well.

Itís kind of like lugging golf clubs round a golf course. Remember; just because I have a set of clubs donít mean I am good at golf. Just enjoy playing.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#22 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Geoff, Hari and Tanya.

The ranking still remains the same at:

Canon in the lead with 8 users;

Nikon next with 5 users; and

Pentax and Panasonic joint 3rd with 1 user each.

[exciting trivia this isn't it ;) ]
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#23 mvecht

mvecht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

A vote for Canon

Currently using the 20D with a 10D as backup.
Waiting for a new version of the 5D to be released.
Lenses Canon 100-400mm L and Sigma 24-70 mm 2.8
Very happy with Canon, although the 20D had focus issues when I first got it

#24 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

Thanks mvecht.

Now:

Canon in the lead with 9 users;

Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#25 Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:53 AM

canon digital rebel xt, and canon HDV CMOS video camera.. reasons. I bought them both on ebay fo a good price. Good enough for me quality wise, and with in my very low budget. And canon gear seems to still work after i drop it a few times and get dirt in the gear.
Brian's Art for Animals
"Life is a Safari!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/briczar22

#26 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

Alrighty then:

Canon in the lead with 10 users;

#27 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

For digital users, there's a great discussion going on about Storage devices & reliability here.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#28 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 AM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:16 AM

P&S Sony DSC H2 and H9 with at least 12x optical and IS--for me

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera? I consider no camera more of an upgrade than new and improved gear, though I am unlikely to follow either ditch the camera or get a big upgrade.

To be able to just absorb the sights (sounds, smells, etc) fully without interfering gadgetry is to me as admirable as taking award winning photos.

I'm not there yet--just experiencing the African moment--and may never be, at least not by choice. But a mishap or theft might render me camera-less and therefore fully in the safari moment.

I thought I'd pose this twist on "What equipment do you have?"
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#29 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera?

I really don't know.

I made my first two safaris without any camera and never regretted it. For the third safari I re-activated my old photo equipment, and for later trips I bought completely new equipment. The main reason: I don't have a visual memory and I wanted to have something that would bring those images (and memories) back. The downside: since then it's like "work".

Otherwise photos seem no longer of such importance to me. I havn't seen any picture from last year's trip so far, and even not all pictures from the trip two years ago. Visuals are no longer the main thing on my safaris, it's more something about vibes. So I can imagine that on a future trip I will leave all these gadgets at home (with the exception of good binos).

#30 Guest_John Milbank_*

Guest_John Milbank_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera?

I doubt it. I hardly go anywhere, let alone Africa, without a camera-- though that's the journalist in me as much as it is the photographer. I take nature photos mainly to please myself, both artistically and to enhance my memories of experiences and the beauty of living creatures and their unspoiled environment. It's strange, but I made my living out of the written word...now I much prefer looking at photos related to my experiences rather than anything written down, so a notebook is likely to be an afterthought when packing for Africa.

(edit) To update the equipment list: I've just added a second rangefinder, a Fuji GA645W (6 cm x 4.5 cm transparencies); and Yvonne recently replaced her Canon 1D Mk II with a 1Ds Mk II .

#31 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

Well... since I don't carry a rifle in the bush anymore, I might as well carry a camera... :D

#32 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

So I can imagine that on a future trip I will leave all these gadgets at home (with the exception of good binos).

We won't have the photo shoots of the bush camp trip reports if you don't bring a camera.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#33 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

Panasonic FZ18 superzoom because its really light and got a great zoom range. Fuji F31FD for digiscoping when I need more reach or the light si not so good. Though I rarely use this cam on safari.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#34 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

P&S Sony DSC H2 and H9 with at least 12x optical and IS--for me

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera? I consider no camera more of an upgrade than new and improved gear, though I am unlikely to follow either ditch the camera or get a big upgrade.

To be able to just absorb the sights (sounds, smells, etc) fully without interfering gadgetry is to me as admirable as taking award winning photos.

I'm not there yet--just experiencing the African moment--and may never be, at least not by choice. But a mishap or theft might render me camera-less and therefore fully in the safari moment.

I thought I'd pose this twist on "What equipment do you have?"

No, but I'd be tempted to take a sketchbook as well.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#35 Hakan

Hakan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

I'm (mostly) a Canon guy.

Body:
Canon 5D (I've used it since 2006 Ė†approx. 120.000 exposures and it has rarely failed me).

Lenses:
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4 L
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF 80-200 f2.8 L
Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Extender:
Canon EF 2x II

Flash:
Canon Speedlite 430

Analogue:
Hasselblad XPan with 45mm lens (panoramic Ė gives you the option to shoot on two frames of 35 mm film)

I'm not by any means sponsored by Canon, but if you haven't checked out the the new 5D Mark II, you should do so...
It is a truly amazing piece of hardware with a 21.1-megapixel full-frame sensor. It will probably kill the semi-professional
videocam market as we know it. It doubles as a videocamera. And it shoots in HD!
Two links to an experimental film that was shot with the 5D Mk II:

Reverie (the actual film by Vincent Laforet)
Behind the scenes of 'Reverie'

Enough of Canon praise. Now, do have a nice day!

:: hakan ::

#36 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:35 AM

Jan 2009 update (for what its worth... probably not much):

Canon still in the lead with 11 users;

Nikon next with 5 users;

Panasonic 3rd with 2 users; and

Pentax and Sony joint 4th with one user each.

#37 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

I would add that my 5D is still performing well, even in the -12 C temperatures of last night.

How many of you take your cable release on safari?

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#38 Guest_John Milbank_*

Guest_John Milbank_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

How many of you take your cable release on safari?

I do...two actually, one for whichever 35mm camera I have the wide angle lens on, and one for my rangefinder.

Which reminds me...two of my cameras are now Fujifilm rangefinders, which would probably put the brand into nth position on ZaminOz's list. Is the list going to mention such minor placings?

And a further update...Yvonne did replace her 1D Mark 2 with a 1Ds Mark 2 but in the tradition of digital models becoming unsaleable junk (unless you're willing to accept peanuts), she had to retrieve the older camera from the secondhand sales shelf and return it to her armoury. She now has four DSLRs, with the 1D Mark 2 being kept in reserve for emergencies.

#39 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 06:37 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:37 AM

Our first digital cameras were Fujifilm S2s which cost us an arm and a leg. We still have them and they are operational but as with Yvonne's, not worth peanuts so on the shelf. Having said that, all our film cameras are on the shelf also as no one will pay money for them Ö Nikons, Bronicas, Hassleblads, Mamiyas

Anyway, does that make another vote for the Fujifilm brand? :P

Re the cable release, didn't take one last time but I am designing a new "doo fangy" thing for my camera which will need the cable release. Don't know how it will work but have to get some practice in soon.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#40 tonypark

tonypark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

Canon 10D and 400D bodies, and a 75-300mm canon IS lens; and a canon 100-400mm IS lens.

We've also got a sigma 170-500mm that will work with the 400D, but no the 10D (a chip problem in the lens, so I'm told. We don't really use it anymore, thoug, since we bought the 100-400mm, which is lovely). We also have a sigma 10-20mm (I think) wide angle lens, and a canon 18-55mm lens which came with one of the bodies. The 18-55 is good for throwing at vervet monkeys, but not much else.

I love the old 10D. Even though it doesn't have as many megapixel doo-dahs as the 400D it's got a nice robust feel to it and has been going strong for five years in the dust and the rain.

Must check out the info elsewhere about storage devices. I travel with a laptop to write my books, but I'm finding it's getting clogged up with pics.

I also have a tiny cheapon chines made pocket digital camera to take with me on walks, and for taking people snaps around the camp fire after too many beers.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.